Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 47
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,582

    Default

    Pretty sure he means those 4 sizes on the two bass drums as the above rare Tama Lars Granstar 2 kit was in the classic 9 piece setup. Not 8 10 up front and 14 16 floor toms on the right.

  2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    Danny Carey uses an 8 10 14 16 Tom setup. So you’re saying this too is too “drastic”??
    It would be for me. Three inches is the biggest gap I like between toms.

    I think for me regarding Carey’s kit is the 8 and 10 being the two rack toms. They are way too high pitched for me in that role. I know from trying it firsthand. The only time it’s worked for me is when I’ve gone 10, 13, and 16.

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    It would be for me. Three inches is the biggest gap I like between toms.

    I think for me regarding Carey’s kit is the 8 and 10 being the two rack toms. They are way too high pitched for me in that role. I know from trying it firsthand. The only time it’s worked for me is when I’ve gone 10, 13, and 16.
    My MMX is a 12 and 16ft and works just fine. I used to play a 3 up 2 down setup with 10x8, 12x9, and 14x12 above the kick. I guess to some people that would be considered odd or “goofy”. That’s just a matter of opinion. Maybe it’s the non-conformist in me...

  4. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    My MMX is a 12 and 16ft and works just fine. I used to play a 3 up 2 down setup with 10x8, 12x9, and 14x12 above the kick. I guess to some people that would be considered odd or “goofy”. That’s just a matter of opinion. Maybe it’s the non-conformist in me...
    I can see that. It’s a classic combination. I also have the traditional 12, 16, and 20 or 22 combination. I love that kit. I just wish I stuck with my gut and had a 15 instead.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    78

    Default

    I have owned a lot of kits in my day and I can't say I miss any of the ones I have sold. Not my Collectors kit, not my Recording Customs, not my Pearl wood/fiberglass kit, none of the cheap ones. None of them.

    Now, I do have a Mapex Saturn III kit that is currently in bags not being used that I will not part with. I know if I sold it I would miss it dearly. Some things you just know you shouldn't part with because you will never be able to get them again (at least not in the same condition as what you had). For my Saturns, they are in like new, flawless condition. I would never be able to find this kit again in this condition. If I'm lucky I could get $800 for it and for that money I would rather keep them as a time capsule than sell them .

  6. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I have owned a lot of kits in my day and I can't say I miss any of the ones I have sold. Not my Collectors kit, not my Recording Customs, not my Pearl wood/fiberglass kit, none of the cheap ones. None of them.

    Now, I do have a Mapex Saturn III kit that is currently in bags not being used that I will not part with. I know if I sold it I would miss it dearly. Some things you just know you shouldn't part with because you will never be able to get them again (at least not in the same condition as what you had). For my Saturns, they are in like new, flawless condition. I would never be able to find this kit again in this condition. If I'm lucky I could get $800 for it and for that money I would rather keep them as a time capsule than sell them .
    I know what you mean. I’ve considered moving back to a maple kit but I know that if I gave up my #159 MM BRX I’d always regret it.
    Way Too Much Crap

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    4,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I like my BRX just fine but I really do miss my #406 Bronze Glass MCX. For my $, there is no better line of drums for the money than the original MCX's. Full maple, nice size choices, great colors, die-cast hoops... and for a fraction of the cost of similar "pro"-level kits.
    I got on a kit at GC years back. My buddy, who had a beautiful DW kit at the time, thought the MCX was the best sounding kit in the shop hands down. It was hard to disagree.

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    4,596

    Default

    #1 is my Tama Superstar kit. I had 8"-15" rack toms although I could never get comfortable with the full setup. I settled on 2 up and 1 or 2 down. Great kit.

    #2 My first kit was a Silver Sparkle '71 Ludwig kit purchased used in 1980. I'm much better at tuning now than I was back then and I'd love another stab at them.

    My only other kit aside from the two I own now was a late 90s Premier XPK Limited Addition set. Great drums for the money and by default I'll include it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,582

    Default

    Paiste 2000 Sound Reflections. Nice.

  10. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
    Pretty sure he means those 4 sizes on the two bass drums as the above rare Tama Lars Granstar 2 kit was in the classic 9 piece setup. Not 8 10 up front and 14 16 floor toms on the right.
    Yes, he does. I thought that was pretty obvious, but alas the internet surprised me again

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  11. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    #1 is my Tama Superstar kit. I had 8"-15" rack toms although I could never get comfortable with the full setup. I settled on 2 up and 1 or 2 down. Great kit.

    #2 My first kit was a Silver Sparkle '71 Ludwig kit purchased used in 1980. I'm much better at tuning now than I was back then and I'd love another stab at them.

    My only other kit aside from the two I own now was a late 90s Premier XPK Limited Addition set. Great drums for the money and by default I'll include it here.
    I’m sorry but looks-wise, larger rack toms are more appealing to me. That looks like a man’s kit.
    Way Too Much Crap

  12. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I’m sorry but looks-wise, larger rack toms are more appealing to me. That looks like a man’s kit.
    Vinnie Paul sizes FTW!


    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •