Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. I spell bad.

Default Show me the three kits you let get away and wish you hadn't.

I'll go first. My choices are pretty easy.

1) DW Collector's in Black Ice 10, 12, 16 & 22
    Name:  14937259_10210474583442419_7849714729952188704_n.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  137.0 KB
    2) DW Collector's in Burnt Toast with black hardware 10, 12, 14 & 20
    Name:  602776_10200610596408908_963641180_n.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  75.1 KB
    3) Mapex Orion in Turqoise Burl with Gold hardware 12, 14 & 20
    Horrible pic but its the only one I had. This kit didn't look like a lot but man did sound amazing!
    Name:  13912581_10209675872115135_3000847226416790753_n.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  99.2 KB

How about you?
    Nous sommes du soleil...
    We love when we play...

2. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

I've only owned 4 kits. Total.

Sure wish I held on to that CB, though...
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

| TAMA STARCLASSIC MAPLE | SABIAN & MEINL CYMBALS |

Former Pearl Customer

3. Registered User

I’ve only owned one kit and have a bunch of orphan Ludwigs.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

4. Drumming Since 1943

They should’ve made that Mapex logo larger.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. It's all about me...

I can honestly say I've never had this issue....every kit I've seen that I've actually wanted, I've owned.

Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

6. Unban nik12

Honestly I miss all the kits I've gone through. My Pearl Vision VSX was a limited edition and it was the first decent kit I ever bought and owned, it was my first decent drum gear purchase I ever made. Still the only kit I ever bought new, and it's funny because I didn't know or care much about drums at the time but I had been on this forum for a little while and I heard good things about Visions, so they were the ones I put on layaway. I had it for 5 years or so actually, and I didn't appreciate it much at the time but it was a road dog for me and was a rock solid kit. It saw a lot of different configurations but it sounded consistently good. I still have the option of buying it back from the guy that I sold it to. Maybe one day I'll actually do it when I'm feeling sentimental and wealthy lol

My Masters MCX was pretty short lived, only had it for a few months I think, but I got it for a steal since it was virtually brand new, also the first kit I ever had that was lacquer and professional grade. I remember the first time I uncased it after it rode in the back of my guitarists truck in the sun for 8 hours or so, the fumes from the lacquer were very overwhelming haha. I sold that kit to a friend so I could fund an "emergency purchase" of my Tama kit

I drove down to Florida to pick up these limited edition Starclassics from an acquaintance for a steal as well, it was the first kit I ever owned with 2 floor toms and I learned quickly that I'd never use them both because I'm a lazy slob lol. I didn't love this kit at first and kept the heads that were on there when I got them for almost a year, and of course after being negligent I finally changed them and fell in love. My MCX was very resonant and modern sounding but the Tamas were super thumpy and fat, which I loved at first, but realized they weren't ideal for the music I play which requires a lot of attack and resonance from the toms and kick for them to cut, and as much as I miss them, I traded them straight up for my current DW Performance series which has been my favorite so far

I think one day once I have the disposable income I'll buy a proper Collectors series, but for the amount of touring and moving they go through, they're perfect. They definitely were used on the road but I knew that when I got them, but it's nice because I'm not worried about giving them the first scratch or super worried about anything about them really. They sound great, hardware is reliable and sturdy, surprisingly easy to tune too. And of course the sound awesome, I just finished a session with them and my bell brass snare so I'll be sure to share those with you guys so you can hear how awesome they came out sounding

The end
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by MitchLyons; 01-31-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    My DW Performance Series Drums

Selling some gear, PM me for details
    13x6.5 Joey Jordison Signature Snare (with logos), Pork Pie throne, Pearl 900 series snare stand

7. Registered User

I've only sold one kit that I owned and frankly, I don't miss it. Nasty import stencil kit by no-name company and a whole host of atrocious CB700 concert toms.

8. Drumming Since 1943

I like my BRX just fine but I really do miss my #406 Bronze Glass MCX. For my $, there is no better line of drums for the money than the original MCX's. Full maple, nice size choices, great colors, die-cast hoops... and for a fraction of the cost of similar "pro"-level kits.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

Bronze Glass was one of my favorite finishes in the MCX line.
    up yours

Pearl Session Studio Classic 22/13/16 - Pearl Power Piccolo Brass 13x5.5 - Bosphorus - Roland TD-12

10. ...groovy...

Not that many kits I wish I still owned to be honest, as it was for a reason I sold them usually. Maybe I'm just too picky in some aspects (I've owned some Sonor Force kits over the years for example, and always thought the hardware fittings (lugs, tom mounts, bassdrum spurs etc) on those were too far "out there" in a weird way. Sure, it worked, but to me it was more annoying aesthetically, and always ended up by me feeling that I wanted something else in the end). The best kits I've owned I kinda wish I could still keep around somewhere and play them whenever I felt like it, but at the same time, it would be a stupid reason to keep several high-end kits around... I liked these kits, even though some was not in my ideal setup, I prefer floortom with legs now for example...

1. Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in Cherry Wood. My first high-end kit, bought new when I was 18 years old (2002). Fusion sizes. Sounded incredible, really nice craftsmanship (same finish inside the shells as outside)
    2. Tama Starclassic Performer in Blue Galaxy Fade. Bought new in 2005, first kit with "real" floortoms. Really nice kit, overall. I feel these kits are rare to find nowadays in good shape (the birch version) so that might also be a reason I miss this kit. Should have gotten another bassdrum for it and kept it longer than I did.
    3. Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Antique Natural Burst. Bought new in 2007. Most "high-end" kit I've owned still to this day, I miss this kit mostly because of the sound and craftsmanship. Kind of got bored with the finish after a while, didn't really match with my band's image at the time. Still though, would be nice to have kept it if money allowed....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Pearl Masters BCX in Piano Black
    Paiste and Meinl cymbals, Vic Firth 5A Extreme sticks

11. The Hardware Guy

Well, I wish I'd bought one of these when I had the chance... Never seen another one for sale since, and it was a steal at £5k (must have been 15 years ago though, maybe nearer 20)

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Well, I wish I'd bought one of these when I had the chance... Never seen another one for sale since, and it was a steal at £5k (must have been 15 years ago though, maybe nearer 20)

That’s a goofy set up but an iconic kit.
    Way Too Much Crap