Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Bass drum pedal rebounds and slaps back...

I have a double bass (two separate bass drums). Both have Pearl P930 longboards.

My problem I'm trying to troubleshoot is that I get a very quick slap-back note. I make my intended primary kick note and the beater just wants to immediately go back at about a 32nd note speed for a quiet, but noticeable second hit.

I haven't had this problem on other drumsets but those have different pedals.

I've tested by putting an old-school felt, round beater on and that's helped about 80%. However, that immediate followup strike still happens.

Between troubleshooting my technique and feeling a bit lost on possible pedal adjustments I'm reaching out for guidance. The "feeling" I get is that the standard beater on the 930 is just too light. It's so light that followup strike is almost a buzz... it's very quick. The heavier, old-school beater helps that along.

Any suggestions to reduce this for how to treat pedal tension adjustments, batter head best-practices, etc.?

2. Registered User

I've had this problem with silent stroke heads as these mesh heads give quite a lot of rebound. Obviously in your case, this isn't the issue.

What it could be though is that you've got the pedal spring done up pretty taught, try slackening off the spring and see what difference that makes. I use to have my spring done tight, but now I've slackened it right off and the rest position of the beater is quite far back. Seems to work a lot better for me now - the beater now gets "catapulted" into the drum head. YMMV.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. Registered User

Dude, it's like you read my mind. I'm currently trying to resolve this very same issue with my P930s.

My batter head is not that tight. I read on one board that having a port hole on the reso (one person actually put on the batter to the right of the strike pad!) resolves this issue. I don't currently have one because I like the big resonant boom I got going on. So I'd hate to compromise that in any way. Looking for solutions!!!!!

4. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Riggz View Post
    I have a double bass (two separate bass drums). Both have Pearl P930 longboards.

My problem I'm trying to troubleshoot is that I get a very quick slap-back note. I make my intended primary kick note and the beater just wants to immediately go back at about a 32nd note speed for a quiet, but noticeable second hit.

I haven't had this problem on other drumsets but those have different pedals.

I've tested by putting an old-school felt, round beater on and that's helped about 80%. However, that immediate followup strike still happens.

Between troubleshooting my technique and feeling a bit lost on possible pedal adjustments I'm reaching out for guidance. The "feeling" I get is that the standard beater on the 930 is just too light. It's so light that followup strike is almost a buzz... it's very quick. The heavier, old-school beater helps that along.

Any suggestions to reduce this for how to treat pedal tension adjustments, batter head best-practices, etc.?
    I bought a second kit recently and was having the same problem. My first thought was to increase the spring tension. It helped a little, but I was noticing a slight second slap like you mention. I’m not one to burry the beater into the bass drum head. I tried raising the footboard and it may have helped slightly. Finally, I realized that I was sitting lower on my new kit and possibly the problem was my leg angle. I raised my throne a bit and my problem was solved. It wasn’t my equipment, it was me.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

5. Registered User

Check out this thread on the topic of port v. no-port on the bass reso. Prof.Sound provides some incredible analysis here. The bounce-back effect of no port and the solution if you don't want to sacrifice BASS sound for better action on beater rebound. I think I may try the small holes around the perimeter of my reso.

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...ole-or-No-Hole

6. Registered User

So, another possibility is that my un-ported heads are letting the air produce push-back?

As for seating angle... good idea, although I'll admit I'm reluctant to change just because I feel like I have a sweet-spot for my own comfort, but I'll give it a try this evening. Thanks everyone!

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Riggz View Post
    So, another possibility is that my un-ported heads are letting the air produce push-back?
    I think that is a very high possibility (if you indeed do not have a ported reso). I recently renovated my kit and in the process replaced my ported reso w/non-ported and immediately encountered this bouncy beater issue. Didn't connect the two things right away - but after reading...

8. Registered User

I've had this same problem with my P-3002 Demon Chain Double Kick Pedal. I separated them to make two single pedals instead of the one double as I have two kits and I too got a snap back on my beater but what fixed it for me was I went to home depot and bought a small washer and I put a extra washer ring on the pedal cam nut where the chain drive is took a little slack off the tension of spring and vola stopped the pedal snap back
    Last edited by DrumPlayerFTW; 02-01-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors

9. Registered User

I was able to greatly reduce the bounce back by doing the following:

I initially put these chrome covers (faucet blank outs from Home Depot ) on the bass after I refinished the kit and removed the tom mount from that spot. Again no port on the reso head.

I removed those and inserted some rubber grommets (fit perfectly). BIG DIFFERENCE!

I think I can live with the small amount of bounceback happening now. I've already gotten used to it.

Hope this helps!

10. Registered User

Interesting, so basically your sense is that it was air pressure pushing back on the batter head that needed to be released?

11. Registered User

Yeah that’s what I read in several different threads as a likely culprit of the bounce back for folks who don’t port their reso head. I can attest that providing those two 1inch holes up top greatly reduced the issue. I had a sense that it would help because when I pressed the beater into the batter head (using my hand) I could feel air being forced out of that little hole you see up top with the metal grommet.

12. Registered User

Great guidance everyone - thank you all very much!
    I may port one of my bass heads as soon as I get a bit of time... I suspect it may get me most of the the way there with this issue.