Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Every now and then I go jam with some dudes (totally different style than my band) and the guy provides a bass, piccolo snare and hats. That's it! I get bored after 20 minutes. I get the less is more thing, but it's fun to have options on a kit.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Cox View Post
    No Nate Smith?
    https://youtu.be/8P-y0mD442I

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

3. Registered User

I knew this would spark some discussion. I like largish kits (7 pc max) but also love the the way these "prove it kits" force you to be more creative and are far more demanding of your vocabulary. Like another poster mentioned, if you cant do it on snare, kick, hats, then having a larger kit isn't gonna help you. Being able to hold it down, is much harder than most realize. I think when people get bored playing these types of grooves, it likely has more to do with listening from an egocentric perspective and not a group perspective. I like chops in the right places but am so much more impressed by guys like Nate Smith, that utilize their rock solid time and expansive vocabulary, on a limited number of instruments, all the while playing from the group perspective and "feeding" the band if you will.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Less drums! Yaaay!

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Less drums! Yaaay!
    Hes killing it though. Just having a small kit does zero to diminish that fact.

6. Registered User

Hes killing it though. Just having a small kit does zero to diminish that fact.
    In my eyes it looks like a **** fest for everyone but the drummer. IMO.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    In my eyes it looks like a **** fest for everyone but the drummer. IMO.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything but c'mon, it's not like he's playing "Back In Black".

8. Registered User

I've done a great many gigs with a kick, snare, hats and ride because of venue/transportation space (I even did two with hats, snare and literally nothing else). I always prefer to have a minimum four piece kit and initially dread doing shows on a super minimalist set, but I have to admit that after a few songs it starts to get fun trying to re-think everything on the fly and completely change my approach to the music and my personal style. This guy kills it with what he's got.

Still wouldn't want to do it full time, though
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

9. Registered User

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything but c'mon, it's not like he's playing "Back In Black".
    Don't bother. There's no convincing that guy that anything less than a 42 piece kit is any fun to play. And to think he calls touring musicians who play sensible kits "lazy drummers" as he sits in his barn full of drums that never go anywhere. Laughable.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
    Don't bother. There's no convincing that guy that anything less than a 42 piece kit is any fun to play. And to think he calls touring musicians who play sensible kits "lazy drummers" as he sits in his barn full of drums that never go anywhere. Laughable.
    Still angry? Thought you got over that?

11. Miles Gibbons

How you sound as a musician is the sum total of your
    1.) ingenuity
    2.) influences
    3.) sense of melody and rhythm
    4.) community
    5.) "chops" \ physical capabilities.

... which are all present no matter how many drums\guitar pedals\keyboards etc. Obviously having a bunch more gear opens your palette up, but the significant parts of your palette - that have a more profound impact on the music, and are apparent to all of your audiences ("muso" or not) - are your ability to create rhythm, harmony and melody, and how you can draw sounds out of an instrument. Having extra toms will not make you sound better. You still have to play cool stuff on them.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    How you sound as a musician is the sum total of your
    1.) ingenuity
    2.) influences
    3.) sense of melody and rhythm
    4.) community
    5.) "chops" \ physical capabilities.

... which are all present no matter how many drums\guitar pedals\keyboards etc. Obviously having a bunch more gear opens your palette up, but the significant parts of your palette - that have a more profound impact on the music, and are apparent to all of your audiences ("muso" or not) - are your ability to create rhythm, harmony and melody, and how you can draw sounds out of an instrument. Having extra toms will not make you sound better. You still have to play cool stuff on them.
    I agree with all of that, but I would still rather see someone with all those characteristics on a larger kit. I like the sound of different tom sizes. To me, toms are a huge part of a drum kit. I sat at one of my kits yesterday and tried playing it like a three piece with no upper tom. I only used the snare and floor. I could play stuff just fine, but felt so limited to the voices and patterns I could achieve. I then incorporated one upper tom into my playing. It seemed to free up my playing that much more for fills and sounds. The more toms I added into the equation, the more flexibility I had to create sounds and patterns, and ultimately made playing more enjoyable for me.