Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I think that's exactly what it's for. Which isn't a bad thing - it's nice to have new options to play with.
    It's a good thing.

I'm not a guy who cares about huge monster kits, but people love to see big kits and this will just make them get more creative.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I'm not a guy who cares about huge monster kits
    Bite your tongue!

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Bite your tongue!
    Are you planning on spending a lot of money on new rack equipment for your kit? Be sure to post pictures.

4. Get Down On It

That's an incredible brochure. I can only imagine the current 6th graders drooling over this like I did the Ludwig books of the early 80's. Such eye candy from Pearl. Well done, chaps.
    Ludwig Keystone in Pewter Glass 8X10, 9X12, 10X13,16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 Classic Maple
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

5. Registered User

Are you planning on spending a lot of money on new rack equipment for your kit? Be sure to post pictures.
    Well I don't need a new kit, and if I did, it certainly wouldn't be an Icon rack.

6. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    From the looks of it, there's nothing "stealth" about any of this. If anything, these applications look MORE bulky and cumbersome than before, if that can be believed.
    well the stealth rack has been made by gibraltar for some time ...the cool part is you can do that with a pearl bar , but .. people have BEEN doing that here, for years by custom cutting there own pearl bars
    the reason they look funny is, cause its not there idea ..lol they're implementing OUR ideas
    alot of these short cut ideas are things the drummers here have been doing for years,oh ,the rack bar on cymbal stand is like a derrick roddy thing from like 9 years ago lol. the cool part is being able to use pearl stuff in the those applications

those art pieces though that they showcased at namm though , that just freakin silly seriosly you'd need a moving truck for the rack lol

7. Registered User

Well I don't need a new kit, and if I did, it certainly wouldn't be an Icon rack.
    Sticks, are you really that anti-Icon ??? Why do you hate Pearl?? LOL.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    22X18 8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by killerkick View Post
    Sticks, are you really that anti-Icon ??? Why do you hate Pearl?? LOL.
    Yes. Those square aluminum pipes are just ugly, and don't fit in looks wise with everything that is round on a drum kit, like stand pipes, drums, cymbals. I also don't like the finish, that stands out like a sore thumb. As far as hating Pearl, I don't hate Pearl, I just hate some of there hardware ideas, like the Icon rack, tom mounts, holders and arms. I use Pearl drop clutches on my hats, and I have a Pearl remote hat. Pearl seems to want their hardware to stand out more than the Beautiful shells they build. I prefer the opposite.
    Last edited by sticks4drums; 01-28-2019 at 08:51 AM.

9. Registered User

Yes. Those square aluminum pipes are just ugly, and don't fit in looks wise with everything that is round on a drum kit, like stand pipes, drums, cymbals. I also don't like the finish, that stands out like a sore thumb. As far as hating Pearl, I don't hate Pearl, I just hate some of there hardware ideas, like the Icon rack, tom mounts, holders and arms. I use Pearl drop clutches on my hats, and I have a Pearl remote hat. Pearl seems to want their hardware to stand out more than the Beautiful shells they build. I prefer the opposite.

I get what your saying. I agree on your points though I have had an ICON at one time, also the old black one, DR80 or something. They served their purpose.... j/k with ya on the "hating" thing.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    22X18 8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

10. Registered User

Sticks4Drums,

Although I've played Pearl for a very long time (and have several MW kits), the heavy duty hardware has always been my least favorite thing about Pearl too. However, I realize that Pearl's intent has always been to make the sturdiest hardware (which requires it to be bulky).

The square tubing on the ICON cross bars was certainly more reliable than round tubes when they developed it and the finish probably had to do with the lighter material (aluminum?) they use for the square tubing which may not lend itself to chrome plating.

I was glad when Pearl came out with the Flat Base hardware a couple years ago since it it not as bulky. I'm not a big fan of the Optimounts either (but, they look better than the original RIMS mounts). I like some of the lower profile mounts that other companies have come up with more recently.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 01-28-2019 at 09:20 AM.

11. Registered User

Sticks4Drums,

Although I've played Pearl for a very long time (and have several MW kits), the hardware has always been my least favorite thing about Pearl too. However, I realize that Pearl's intent has always been to make the sturdiest hardware (which requires it to be bulky).

The square tubes on the ICON rack was certainly more reliable than round tubes when they developed it and the finish probably had to do with the material they use which doesn't lend itself to chrome plating.

I was glad when Pearl came out with the Flat Base hardware a couple years ago since it it not as bulky. I'm not a big fan of the Optimounts either. I like some of the lower profile versions that other companies have come up with more recently.

MM
    My concern is, and has always been that if people keep supporting Pearl's poor hardware concepts, they will just continue spitting the same stuff out, year after year.

12. Registered User

My concern is, and has always been that if people keep supporting Pearl's poor hardware concepts, they will just continue spitting the same stuff out, year after year.
    Well, it's been very popular and that is why they don't change it much. I doubt if they would have invested in the new offerings to expand the options for the square cross bars if it wasn't going to be profitable.

I'm sure they'll win some awards this year for those additions and the curved cymbal arms.

MM