Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Work of Art

Default Yamaha intruduces Live Custom Hybrid Oak

Tama Star, 101 snare drums, Meinl Cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Evans heads, Slickbag bags

WORK OF ART
    My band

2. Looks That Kill

For Christ's sake Yamaha, just leave good enough alone. The best oak kits were the oak customs, go back to that formula because they worked.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Bombay Sparkle
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

3. Registered User

What's with all these companies and their black chrome these days? You can't even get stands to match.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

4. Registered User

I was pretty much a die hard Yamaha guy for about 10 years, but I have not been impressed with their offerings ever since they parted ways with Sakae. None of their finishes of any of their lines do anything for me. I went back to Pearl last year and am more than happy with my Session Studio Select kit!

Club YDF

5. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Labambawarrior View Post
    I was pretty much a die hard Yamaha guy for about 10 years, but I have not been impressed with their offerings ever since they parted ways with Sakae. None of their finishes of any of their lines do anything for me. I went back to Pearl last year and am more than happy with my Session Studio Select kit!
    I did the same thing and came full circle back to Pearl, where I started with the Export Ex kit back in 1998. The best Yamaha offerings were the mid/late 90's and early 2k before they screwed up the stage customs and came out with that God Awful yess2 mount. The stage custom was the best selling kit in it's segment before they decided it was a grand idea to put plastic noveau lugs on it. I am glad to be playing Pearl drums again, they know when to leave a good thing alone.

6. The Hardware Guy

Live? Do you have to water it or something?

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

7. bangin since '95

I honestly am not impressed in the slightest. They're using some sort of resin as the thick center ply, which I hate, and they sound way too punchy, which I also hate. I was hoping for the old Oak Customs back, as I'd snag a set of those in a heartbeat. These are terrible.

And did they even listen to any of the players? The two biggest complaints about the Live Customs are the dark, generic burst finishes, and the black chrome hardware. And here we are with 5 dark, burst finishes and black hardware. I like the YESS III mount, but that's honestly about it.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

8. Registered User

$6900 list?? Really proud of those drums.

9. Miles Gibbons

Still using the Oak Customs I bought 14 years ago (2nd gen, glossy finish)... still sound and feel great! I've tried the last generation of Oak drums, the Live Customs... I like the sizes and some of the finishes, but still prefer the sound of the straight up Oak Customs.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    For Christ's sake Yamaha,

11. Registered User

Well it looks like Tama is going to kill it in this mid-pro level with that new Starclassic Walnut/Birch kit and their KILLER finishes.

12. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    I honestly am not impressed in the slightest. They're using some sort of resin as the thick center ply, which I hate, and they sound way too punchy, which I also hate. I was hoping for the old Oak Customs back, as I'd snag a set of those in a heartbeat. These are terrible.

And did they even listen to any of the players? The two biggest complaints about the Live Customs are the dark, generic burst finishes, and the black chrome hardware. And here we are with 5 dark, burst finishes and black hardware. I like the YESS III mount, but that's honestly about it.
    The resin ply they are using is something you would use as a counter top. What's next, using cardboard as an inner ply for minimum resonance? It's obvious that this is some kind of cost cutting measure and that it does nothing to make the drums perform better.

https://www.nationwideplastics.net/plastics/phenolic/