Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Mapex Venus finally restored!!!

I'll post my 4 little pictures... but this kit has come such a long way. Currently I'm using a drum dial for tuning (because im getting lazy) but since im using Ec2 batters and EC reso's its difficult to get a good number for my reso heads since they arent "paper thin" as some would say... does anyone have any suggestions for tuning these EC reso heads?

Also my cymbals will be moved around and ill figure a better way to position everything once i remove some unnecessary furniture. But here she is in all its glory.

Name:  Screenshot_20190122-133532_Gallery.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  105.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20190122-133516_Gallery.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  89.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20190122-133459_Gallery.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  89.4 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20190122-133440_Gallery.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  88.7 KB

Also dont mind the trashed room... between work, restoring these, and replacing all rotors/brake pads on my 03 jeep liberty. Lets say picking up after my nephews trash my front room of my house when they come over on the weekends is sorta last priority. Bass drum is tuned, my snare is tuned, 8in is tuned, and so is the 12in.. but the drum dial just gets my tension the same... i still tune by ear after getting them dialed in with the drum dial. But it gives a good base line for a starting point. Aside from the "dial chart" which has none of my drums depths... does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Drumming Since 1943

HTA, Batman!
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Registered User

Good job buddy. Turned out great!

4. It's all about me...

Nice! Love the finish....

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

5. Drumming Since 1943

Looks pro!
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    HTA, Batman!
    I would be interested to know if the forum member is too newly-registered to get the reference

I don't know much about Mapex but I figured you must have wrapped them... Looks super. Do you mean you cleaned it up, too, though? Replaced parts? Have you got before shots (sorry if I missed them in another thread...)?
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

7. Registered User

Excellent restoration OfXaos!

8. A Passion Play ...

Looks mighty sharp. Great job.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

9. More beer.

Where Hell froze over somewhere in Norway

My first kit was a Maex V series. I think the toms were 11x10 and 13x11, they were huge. This is from2008/9

Name:  aNcV3ue.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  70.7 KB

10. J-Con

First of all, nice job OP. That wrap looks great. How would you describe your time with the product? Was it easy to install? What was the cost to cover the whole kit? Did the kick take more than one piece of wrap? How do the seams look?

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    HTA, Batman!
    I would be interested to know if the forum member is too newly-registered to get the reference
    This took me longer than I care to admit to understand. Then I had to go back and look at the pictures again... and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    I don't know much about Mapex but I figured you must have wrapped them... Looks super. Do you mean you cleaned it up, too, though? Replaced parts? Have you got before shots (sorry if I missed them in another thread...)?
    You might have missed it because the OP starts a new thread every time there's an update stead of just using the first one he started...

11. Playing since 1976

Can we see a close-up of the wrap? I would really like to see the top of the kick drum closer.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Registered User

If u click on my profile you can see the wrap... the wrap is a thin material thats like a huge sticker. Ill post it here..

When i say restored the bass drum originally had dents and digs. Ive had to get new bearing edges cut, there was a lot of wood work done as one hoop had a chunk missing and required wood putty to fix. Lots and lots of sanding, I had to order new hoops for the 8inch. I replaced all heads, and since my bass drum is now a virgin I have to mount my toms using stands. I paid $190 for the whole kit. That includes two terrible cymbals and a snare with a bent hoop. I used aluminum foil and coca-cola for all my hardware such as lugs, hoops, and the mounts that are on the tom. Thr expensive part was cymbals and cymbal stands. That alone was almost $600.. more like $545.. for the actual wrap... each wrap was 24" wide x 118" in length. For one wrap it was 19.99 on amazon. The rubber i bought when making gaskets (which i ended up not being able to use on the lugs due to the 9 ply and size of my screws. It just didnt seem cost effective. But i only cut out 4 to test and the rubber actually doubles as great sound dampening for the snare. Total cost for wrap was under $50 and that included exacto knife and blades and a material roller.

Name:  Screenshot_20181204-154254_Gallery.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  49.8 KB

This was the material...

This is the roller i was talking about... both of which u can get off amazon. Since this was my first time wrapping I made mistakes which is why i needed more material. But due to the amount of toms i would of needed another roll anyway. Ive done plenty of wood work in my day but not on drums. But between this forum and youtube i got a lot of encouragement.

Name:  20181230_081137.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  20181123_141458.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  56.6 KB

Below is where the holes you see above are patched. I couldnt get a good color match because i used what i had..

Name:  Screenshot_20190103-150739_Gallery.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  29.2 KB

You can see a color difference, I used 2 coats of Tung Oil to get that color on the inside.

If you want a link to any stand or the wrap/roller lmk and i can grab it off Amazon. Really skies the limit when it comes to wrapping a drum... i could of stained them. Im a graffiti/calligrapher so i could of written crazy stuff on them and clear coated it. I just typed in "faux leather wrap" and got all sorts of wraps. I wanted to wrap them in a rustic old brown leather and spray all the lugs and hoops this dark bronze color. But after all the patching and standing... luckily because i knew how to use a table router the guys at "The Woodman Ron" allowed me to bring over my shells (toms and bass) and cut them myself. These were abused and had rust inside some parts.