Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    There's also Shure KSM137s.
    +1 to the KSM137s. I have been using them for a solid three years or so now for drum overheads, mostly live. That or AKG C214s, but I sold those. The KSM137s are not the cheapest nor most expensive. A great middle of the road pair of microphones. The only thing I want now above these is a pair of Neumann KM 184s.

No matter what you pick, I think you'll notice a big difference when you hook 'em up and listen. The PG81s aren't the best. They're very tinny and brittle. At least to my ears.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nickcesarz View Post
    +1 to the KSM137s. I have been using them for a solid three years or so now for drum overheads, mostly live. That or AKG C214s, but I sold those. The KSM137s are not the cheapest nor most expensive. A great middle of the road pair of microphones. The only thing I want now above these is a pair of Neumann KM 184s.

No matter what you pick, I think you'll notice a big difference when you hook 'em up and listen. The PG81s aren't the best. They're very tinny and brittle. At least to my ears.
    nickcesarz how do you like the C214 AKG's as overheads for Drum recording?? Are they anywhere near the quality of the C414 model? Can you give me a honest review and if they are worth going with? I found a place who sells them by pair and I can get them on a payment monthly plan for 6 payments of 99.86 a month
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x16 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom
    Roland TD-25KV Electric Drum Set w/ Mesh Heads

Snares -
    1976 14x6.5 Ludwig Supraphonic LM402
    14x6.5 Pearl Reference Series Brass

3. Registered User

sE Electronics just released these for this year. They seem to be getting more popular and they're affordable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRhYxmxMLFI

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by croomz View Post
    sE Electronics just released these for this year. They seem to be getting more popular and they're affordable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRhYxmxMLFI

They sound great croomz great clarity and tones
    Drum sets -

Snares -

5. Registered User

Here's a good resource for listening to different mics.
    https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Here's a good resource for listening to different mics.
    https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator
    Thank you Dexplosion and all the guys here who have contributed with advice,suggestions and help with this thread
    Drum sets -

Snares -

7. Experienced Noob

You mentioned getting pops & also that you use an interface. Perhaps the problem is not mechanical, but rather that you have the buffer set to low in your audio drivers/software. I'd look in to my audio settings & making sure evrything is optimised for my computer before buying more mics.

That said, I assume you are using a DAW for processing your audio. If so, & you are processing each mic's track independently in the DAW (not just a stereo mix from your interface), I'd take a look at Slate Digital's ML-2 mics for overheads. A few of the mic models you can apply to your recorded tracks sound really great with overheads. I switched to the ML-2s for my overheads a while back & have no plans to change. At $149 a piece, they are an incredible value. They are hard to find now (demand is far surpassing the manufacturing capability), but supposedly the supply problems will be resolved in the coming months.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    You mentioned getting pops & also that you use an interface. Perhaps the problem is not mechanical, but rather that you have the buffer set to low in your audio drivers/software. I'd look in to my audio settings & making sure evrything is optimised for my computer before buying more mics.

That said, I assume you are using a DAW for processing your audio. If so, & you are processing each mic's track independently in the DAW (not just a stereo mix from your interface), I'd take a look at Slate Digital's ML-2 mics for overheads. A few of the mic models you can apply to your recorded tracks sound really great with overheads. I switched to the ML-2s for my overheads a while back & have no plans to change. At $149 a piece, they are an incredible value. They are hard to find now (demand is far surpassing the manufacturing capability), but supposedly the supply problems will be resolved in the coming months.

Thank you Mike, umm I’m starting to wonder if the condenser mic static an popping issue is due to my DAW which is Presonus Studio One 3 which came with my Presonus Audio Box 1818VSL 8 Mic pre-amp Interface.
    Drum sets -

Snares -

9. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by DrumPlayerFTW View Post
    Im picking up static in my mix and like a low popping noise I tried positioning mics in different spots and directions but didnt do anything
    Quote Originally Posted by croomz View Post
    Can you elaborate on not being able to get a decent consistent tone? Just wondering what you are experiencing with the PG81s
    Thanks for the help and advice Dexplosion, Not sure really what I'm gonna do at this point. I was actually looking at the SM-81's and my buddy uses the KSM27's on his drum setup

For now I'll keep playing with my settings on my interface and see if I can get the mics to work for while I shop around for some used KSM's or SM-81's

Thanks. Phil
    Coming at this from a different perspective; have you tried different mics for your overheads just to see if it is your input jack that is causing the issue? Like can you borrow your buddy's KSM27s? Or ask him to use your mics in his setup and see what his results are. Just a thought. Sometimes the input jacks get messed up and can cause problems. Another thought is that condenser mics can have phasing problems when used in pairs.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    Coming at this from a different perspective; have you tried different mics for your overheads just to see if it is your input jack that is causing the issue? Like can you borrow your buddy's KSM27s? Or ask him to use your mics in his setup and see what his results are. Just a thought. Sometimes the input jacks get messed up and can cause problems. Another thought is that condenser mics can have phasing problems when used in pairs.
    Yes my friend came over today used his mics with my interface no buzz or popping. Plugged my Mics back into the interface assigned different slots for overheads mics are appearing to sound fine now. But at some point down line I am gonna upgrade the overheads and what really caught my eye was the Oktava MC-012-01 Condenser Overheads. And they got some super great reviews
    Last edited by DrumPlayerFTW; 01-23-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    Drum sets -

Snares -

11. Vintage 1968

Yes my friend came over today used his mics with my interface no buzz or popping. Plugged my Mics back into the interface assigned different slots for overheads mics are appearing to sound fine now. But at some point down line I am gonna upgrade the overheads and what really caught my eye was the Oktava MC-012-01 Condenser Overheads. And they got some super great reviews
    My brother swore by Oktava mics. Great Russian mics.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:

12. Registered User

nickcesarz how do you like the C214 AKG's as overheads for Drum recording?? Are they anywhere near the quality of the C414 model? Can you give me a honest review and if they are worth going with? I found a place who sells them by pair and I can get them on a payment monthly plan for 6 payments of 99.86 a month
    I honestly don't think they are close to the 414s. My main reason for selling them was I thought they were a little harsh sounding in comparison to my Shures.

Here's a good comparison video, though it's on an acoustic guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGEuse_7V7g

EDIT: Found a comparison of a hi-hat room test (most noticable to switch between :56 and 2:03): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQMHWaJPWIo

The top end of the C214 sounds a little cheap and harsh, while the 414 is smoother and warmer in tone.

Sweetwater has awesome financing most of the time (24, 48 months sometimes even), so there's another option to try.