Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

My advice would be to stick with what you have and try to make it work.
    $500 will buy some decent mics, but $500 will also buy an awesome snare, or cymbals, or other stuff that will make more of a difference.

If you feel you must get some other mics, used is the way to go.
    Guitarded Center Used usually has decent pricing.
    Music Go Round is more expensive.
    Of course there's eBay.
    I like Reverb.

The Audio Technica 40XX series of mics are generally regarded as decent mid level mics.
    There's also Shure SM81s and KSM137s.
    A good mic for learning what polar patterns are all about is the CAD M179.
    Lewitt, Aston, and sE are other newer brands that people like too.

I use Shure KSM27s.
    They sound pretty good, and aren't too expensive used.

2. Registered User

Thanks for the help and advice Dexplosion, Not sure really what I'm gonna do at this point. I was actually looking at the SM-81's and my buddy uses the KSM27's on his drum setup

For now I'll keep playing with my settings on my interface and see if I can get the mics to work for while I shop around for some used KSM's or SM-81's

Thanks. Phil
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x16 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom
    Roland TD-25KV Electric Drum Set w/ Mesh Heads

Snares -
    1976 14x6.5 Ludwig Supraphonic LM402
    14x6.5 Pearl Reference Series Brass

3. Registered User

I use these AKG P170, they worked well for me I thought on our last compilation of song. Not a bad price either.Name:  115fe883432c600c428dfc.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  25.6 KB
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16 22X18
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DrumPlayerFTW View Post
    Yes replaced all cables with heavy duty XLR
    Do you hear the noise from both of the PG81s? I agree with dexplosion, USED mics are the way to go.

5. Registered User

I have heard of the AKG170's for overhead mics they do sound great but I definitely can't afford to buy new so I will be shopping the used markets over next few months. I appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread and made suggestions to me. I have a lot of info which will help me make a smart decision. Thank you everyone for the help. Please feel free to keep suggesting mics to me. I haven't made up my mind yet which I'm gonna go with.
    Drum sets -

Snares -

6. Registered User

I have heard of the AKG170's for overhead mics they do sound great but I definitely can't afford to buy new so I will be shopping the used markets over next few months. I appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread and made suggestions to me. I have a lot of info which will help me make a smart decision. Thank you everyone for the help. Please feel free to keep suggesting mics to me. I haven't made up my mind yet which I'm gonna go with.
    The AKG P170 aren’t expensive at all. I’ve seen used ones for $50 each. the newer models are black. The older ones are a baby blue color which sticks out like a sore thumb

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by croomz View Post
    The AKG P170 aren’t expensive at all. I’ve seen used ones for $50 each. the newer models are black. The older ones are a baby blue color which sticks out like a sore thumb
    Thanks for the hot tip croomz about the colors I'll definitely look for black model If I decide to go with them.
    Drum sets -

Snares -

8. Registered User

Thanks for the hot tip croomz about the colors I'll definitely look for black model If I decide to go with them.
    I've had good luck with the AKG C1000/C3000s, AT2035s, Audix ADX51, Audix F15, even some cheap MXL LDCs

9. Registered User

I've had good luck with the AKG C1000/C3000s
    Have you heard anything about the AKG C214's as overheads for drums? I know the AKG C414's are the go to for AKG mics but I definitely can't afford 400-600 a mic on used market
    Drum sets -

Snares -

10. Registered User

Have you heard anything about the AKG C214's as overheads for drums? I know the AKG C414's are the go to for AKG mics but I definitely can't afford 400-600 a mic on used market
    I have seen other's use them and they sound good to me. I'm not quite sure what all the differences are between the C3000/C214/C414 mics. May be diaphragm size or material plus low cut, pad switches. or directional options.

11. Registered User

I have seen other's use them and they sound good to me. I'm not quite sure what all the differences are between the C3000/C214/C414 mics. May be diaphragm size or material plus low cut, pad switches. or directional options.
    croomz in your honest opinion for my money I have which $500 budget what would you say is my Best bet to go with for a pair of overheads And another question should I upgrade my PG52 Kick mic to the Beta 52A?
    Drum sets -

Snares -

12. Registered User

croomz in your honest opinion for my money I have which $500 budget what would you say is my Best bet to go with for a pair of overheads And another question should I upgrade my PG52 Kick mic to the Beta 52A?
    There's always mixed opinions and input on this question from us all. Up front, there are differences between budget and professional microphones such as the PG52 vs Beta52. Usually the difference is in the frequency response, SPL rating, and noise (and also price of course)

I've heard some great drum tracks using the PG series mics, and I've also heard great drum tracks using Beta Series mics and other mics.

It will depend on many variables. Tuning, room acoustics, mic placement, mic isolation, post-processing, etc. So many things play into sound you are after, no matter the genre.

Back to the mic's, I've used both Beta52, Audix D6 and AKG D112 in the past. I didn't care so much for the D112 sound. The beta52 and D6 are close competitors for my tastes. I learn more toward the D6 as a personal preference but I currently have a Beta52 on my kick and it sounds great.

For overheads, it's gonna come down to what you want to have in your arsenal. I have AT2035s because they have Low Cut and Pad switches. These switches help with cutting out low kick and tom frequency bleed (not completely, but some). I would say look for a condenser that has those abilities. I ran into a situation where I had to use an older set of Audix ADX50's that DO NOT have the switches and the sound that was produced from them was unsatisfying. I couldn't pad those ADX50s to limit the signal level or cut out low end from the rest of the kit.

I would say try before you buy. Some stores will let you do this (mainly mom & pop stores) or Sweetwater. Test different ones and see what you like the best.

Please take this advice with a grain of salt. It's just my personal experience, and I don't claim to know it all...LOL