Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unloading ICON

1. The Hardware Guy

To be fair, I always said I'd probably never be able to play it even if I owned one - you get used to your own sizes and config/setup. I'd love a replica (of the grey or white kits) but with 2x 22, 10, 12, 13, 14 toms, 16, 18 floor, which are all same as my CZX. Much more manageable. Even the grey kit I believe was 12, 13, 14, 15 toms over 24 inch kicks, and they were the typical of-the-day deep power toms, 1" shallower than square - so 12x11, 13x12, 14x13 and 15x14. Big drums to be above 24" kicks

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

2. Registered User

My 1988 MX set came in an original configuration of 12"-13"-14"-18" over a 24" kick. Power toms too. Massive was the word of the era.

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    I have a vague memory of a thread titled "I threatened to do it - Re-De-Virginized kicks"
    Wow! You have some memory. However, I didn’t use BB3’s, I used BT3’s.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Registered User

JY, I love the look of the hex or octagon tubes that Yamaha uses but they are expensive. I also like the look of the DW racks. I find the Gibraltar...although I have a large Gibraltar rack, somewhat bulky looking but to each his own. The Gibraltar is solid as hell and lots of options of mounting "stuff"
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

5. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by oldbatterhead View Post
    JY, I love the look of the hex or octagon tubes that Yamaha uses but they are expensive. I also like the look of the DW racks. I find the Gibraltar...although I have a large Gibraltar rack, somewhat bulky looking but to each his own. The Gibraltar is solid as hell and lots of options of mounting "stuff"
    I just don't get the point of the hexagonal tubes that Yamaha use. They serve no purpose because all their clamps have bushings to make them round (and oversizes them at the same time). At least Pearl's square rack trades on the fact it's square, and even though that limits the clamps to only 4 positions, the clamps are square to suit that bars. The only point I can see to a hexagonal bar is to use the same "locked in" positioning the square bars do, where it's impossible for a clamp to slip or rotate on a bar with angles and straight edges - but then they go and make the clamps work on a 360º round bushing, making the hexagonal bars entirely redundant. For that reason, Gibraltar, Tama, PDP/DW, etc, make more sense with their racks, and mean the overall impact of the amount of metal is lower (even though Gibraltar's chrome clamps are chunkier than their black ones, I think they have the sleekest on the market these days, now Tama re-designed theirs. I'd need to compare that side by side to be sure though - if I'm wrong, no doubt someone will point it out).

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    26 pieces, no rack, virgin bass drums.

I never get tired of looking at your kit! That's awesome Sticks!

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    sweet jesus god , 2 of them! in the early 90s idv'e killed for one of those kits
    also , if i remember right , dave grohls kit was a 15x14 rack tom , 18x16 floor tom a 24x18 bass and a 14x8 snare ... all which was subject to change as , dave often threw those drums off the stage lol. by the end of a nirvanatour, you'd prolly spot him using a yamaha rental backline kit ..lol
    Agree with you 2 basses4life, love Lars early Tama kit! I'm pretty sure his config was 12,13,14,15 and two 16 in floors with 24 bass drums!

8. th droids yerlookn4

oh ,
    uh actually i think that was thrush ..lol
    however reading back i can elaborate on the lars grey kit ....it was a tama crestar ..predecessor the tama granstar custom ,,
    the kit was custom finishedin a sparkly grey finish by an la custom shop ...(possibly bill , from pork pie , as at around the same time, he did a custom pearl kit in black hardware and a blue sparkly finish for jeff pocaro thats just speculation though )
    the sizes were 12x12,13x13,14x14, and 15x15 tom two 18x16 floortoms , and two 24x16 basses his snares varied from a 14x6 steel snare (the old superstar/imperstar looking lugs )to 14x16.5 bell brass snare that he either coat just wrap ..in the same grey finish as the rest of the kit
    even back then ,( a little known fact) lars triggered . he was running one the the first trigger rigs made by a guy known as reek havok back in the day ...often times lars was seen wearing a reek havok t shirt in photos ...now ya know why ..lol

9. Registered User

I have the a three sided, curved ICON rack. I was against using them until I got one. They're very versatile and cumbersome at the same time. If I was playing out I'd likely go with stands.

But if I had roadies I'd make them drag the biggest kit possible.

I'd love to have some more clamps for mine. I've thought about cutting the front upright post down , but there's no reversing that decision.

Anyway, if you want to ship me your clamps, Dylan we'd be the best friends the internet has ever seen.

10. Registered User

oh ,
    however reading back i can elaborate on the lars grey kit ....it was a tama crestar ..predecessor the tama granstar custom ,,
    the kit was custom finishedin a sparkly grey finish by an la custom shop ...(possibly bill , from pork pie , as at around the same time, he did a custom pearl kit in black hardware and a blue sparkly finish for jeff pocaro thats just speculation though )
    the sizes were 12x12,13x13,14x14, and 15x15 tom two 18x16 floortoms , and two 24x16 basses his snares varied from a 14x6 steel snare (the old superstar/imperstar looking lugs )to 14x16.5 bell brass snare that he either coat just wrap ..in the same grey finish as the rest of the kit
    even back then ,( a little known fact) lars triggered . he was running one the the first trigger rigs made by a guy known as reek havok back in the day ...often times lars was seen wearing a reek havok t shirt in photos ...now ya know why ..lol
    Wow...interesting! Defenitly know your history about Lars kit. Thanks for sharing! Going to see Lars play tomorrow in Raleigh!

11. The Hardware Guy

oh ,
    I believe the guy responsible for the grey and black kits, and the later white and black kits, was Joe HIbbs - who was at that time with Tama, and later with Mapex. Joe died last 2016/17 I think. From what I've been told, he was the guy that painted the hardware black and custom built Lars' kits with Granstar lugs rather than Artstar ones

PICSPICS 2

12. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I believe the guy responsible for the grey and black kits, and the later white and black kits, was Joe HIbbs - who was at that time with Tama, and later with Mapex. Joe died last 2016/17 I think. From what I've been told, he was the guy that painted the hardware black and custom built Lars' kits with Granstar lugs rather than Artstar ones
    yeah joe passed a while back,
    well, for the first iteration of his black on white arstar,they just popped the lugs off the crestar so yeah, if he did the grey kits hardware, then he definitely contributed indirectly, to the artstar kit ...the crestar , is sitting in a Metallica exhibit in some museum ...redressed in chrome, i cant remember where, but i remember grabbing the pics off of google..as for the finish on the artstar ..i think they were piano white .. there was a time when the artstar2's only came piano black, or piano white , there was a special edition in birds eye maple...that changed in like 91 , 92.
    the second iterations ( he had multiple kits so james could play dueling drums on stage with him also the collecters editions) these were production models ,what were there , 50 in the run?) they just probably shipped all that hardware to colorlife then re assembled them at the bensalem headquaters ..lol i mean , if you got the the full pack ALL the stands lugs hoops ..everything was black . thats a lot for one guy
    Last edited by 2 basses4life; 01-27-2019 at 08:31 PM.