Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 49

Thread: Unloading ICON

  1. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    Wow...interesting! Defenitly know your history about Lars kit. Thanks for sharing! Going to see Lars play tomorrow in Raleigh!
    i was such a fan boy as a teen ..lol

  2. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    sorry for the multiple posts but , i was curious ,
    after seeing the crazy sh## you can do with an icon now , are you still sure you wanna make this change ? after seeing all the namm stuff, my mind is racin' man

  3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,500

    Default

    Racks belong in your house or on a stage of venue 5000 or more. It’s silly having one if you have not the opportunity to play in either.

  4. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,445

    Default

    I disagree. I had a rack when I gigged regularly, and my band rarely played to places with more than 500 people. I had the older, pre-ICON, Pearl rack (DR-1) that was square-bar, fold-out design and it aided set up and break down immensely. Fold it out, attach the legs, flip it over, position bass drums under it to get the centering, then just slot the tom and cymbal arms into the clamps (all memory locked and colour coded) and Bob's your set-up-uncle.

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I use mini racks too. My stage foot print is way smaller than with stands and I can set-up faster...

    P.S. I play in a Grindcore band so if we play in front of 50-75 peoples it's FANTASTIC!

  6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I disagree. I had a rack when I gigged regularly, and my band rarely played to places with more than 500 people. I had the older, pre-ICON, Pearl rack (DR-1) that was square-bar, fold-out design and it aided set up and break down immensely. Fold it out, attach the legs, flip it over, position bass drums under it to get the centering, then just slot the tom and cymbal arms into the clamps (all memory locked and colour coded) and Bob's your set-up-uncle.
    If you’re talking about the ones with three sides, you must be playing some big places.

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    304

    Default

    A 3 sided rack can be a very convenient and efficient system, its got nothing to do with the size of the venue.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

  8. a.k.a. YtseJam

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,371

    Default

    Racks take up significantly less space on stage than tripods, whether you have a 4 piece or not. If the drum riser in a local dive bar is 2m wide, you're much better off with a rack.

  9. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    If you’re talking about the ones with three sides, you must be playing some big places.
    It was the three-sided DR-1, but since it was over a double bass kit, it was configured slightly differently so that one of the sides became a front bar



    I wouldn't say we played big places - mainly sub-500 people venues (a couple of 800/1000 people venues perhaps) but I was quite lucky with stage size. A couple times I struggled with the length of the right side bar - it was a little longer than I needed and I could have chopped 6-8" off the length, but we always made it work. One venue we regularly played had the perfect sized drum riser for that kit and rack. I had played it before as the opener and had my kit on the stage in front of the riser, although I think that was pre-rack and just two toms on a stand between the kicks, but since the stage was a decent size it still fit. I do remember one venue though, a rock pub in east London, the "stage" was just big enough to take my kit and the bass amp. And that's it. The other three guys, two guitar amps, pedal board and three mics, had to play on the floor in front of the stage. But hey, I wasn't complaining!

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  10. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,445

    Default

    This was the one I really wanted - can't remember the part number off the top of my head (I have it in a Pearl catalog from 89/90). It was an extended version of the DR-1 (the 2nd gen black version) designed to fit over two bass drums. I never found one for sale hence I never got one, but thinking back now, I image that must have been a PITA to transport, even folded, as the front cross bar is so long. My DR-1 only just fit in my parents people-carrier (mini-van I think you call them) with all the seats folded down. I don't even know how I'd have transported one of these if I'd had it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  11. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,270

    Default

    Never liked the DR-80. Served its purpose but it always looked like a dining room table without glass.
    Way Too Much Crap

  12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    It was the three-sided DR-1, but since it was over a double bass kit, it was configured slightly differently so that one of the sides became a front bar



    I wouldn't say we played big places - mainly sub-500 people venues (a couple of 800/1000 people venues perhaps) but I was quite lucky with stage size. A couple times I struggled with the length of the right side bar - it was a little longer than I needed and I could have chopped 6-8" off the length, but we always made it work. One venue we regularly played had the perfect sized drum riser for that kit and rack. I had played it before as the opener and had my kit on the stage in front of the riser, although I think that was pre-rack and just two toms on a stand between the kicks, but since the stage was a decent size it still fit. I do remember one venue though, a rock pub in east London, the "stage" was just big enough to take my kit and the bass amp. And that's it. The other three guys, two guitar amps, pedal board and three mics, had to play on the floor in front of the stage. But hey, I wasn't complaining!
    Maybe I should correct myself on the term “big places”. I should say places with a big drum riser and big backstage.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •