Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Masters Custom Extra/Maple Shell

Howdy, last night I picked up a 4 PC set of Master Custom Extra maple shells in 24/ 16/ 13/ 14x 5" I believe the snare is. I can't seem to find em in the old catalogs, so I'm wondering how old they are, what does the "extra" mean, and is the color called platinum mist. I can't wait to try em out tomorrow, after a thorough disassembly and cleaning. All replies are welcome, and I hope the pics come thru. Cheers. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  70.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  70.2 KB
    Last edited by PEARLSAB; 01-15-2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Add pics

2. Registered User

3. Skeld-the -wicked

Default Pearl Masters Extra

Congratulations PEARLSAB ! The MRX has slightly thicker maple plies 7.5 mm.This is the 1997 catalogue.I picked mine up about 3 mo back.22x18,15x14,12x9&14x5.5. Enjoy !
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

4. Bad Girlfriend

Yes; Custom Extra refers to 6 plies maple and is the MRX. The sound is wonderful! Enjoy!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

5. Skeld-the -wicked

If I’m not mistaken the early Masters mid 90s had superhoops and ISS mounts.then in 99 they came with Mastercast hoops & optimounts. I think Platinum Mist is offered beginning 1999.
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

6. Registered User

They sure look nice , I think you are right those hoops look to be Mastercast. The 13" Rack tom looks like a 10" depth the early Extras were more often power toms.

Dunno

But Skeld-the -Wicked is pretty close
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

7. Registered User

Thanks for the replies gang. I've played a lotta Pearl drums, but this Masters Custom has em all beat hands down. The 13"tom, which is yes a 13x10 is very punchy, the floor tom growls at ya, the kick hits ya in the chest, but I gotta figure out the snare yet, I have an Aquarian Studio X on her for the moment, but I think I'll try a coated Ambassador, go traditional eh. Toms have clear Emps over Ambassadors and the kick has an Emad 2 with the pillow and white stock Pearl head on res side. By the way, that's a nice looking kit you have skeld, what type of head did you use on your snare, and how does it work for ya? Any pointers would be appreciated. Cheers and I'll try to get a pic up if I can.

8. Registered User

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  73.7 KB

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PEARLSAB View Post
    Thanks for the replies gang. I've played a lotta Pearl drums, but this Masters Custom has em all beat hands down, but I gotta figure out the snare yet, I have an Aquarian Studio X on her for the moment, but I think I'll try a coated Ambassador, go traditional eh.
    I'd suggest trying an Aquarian Focus-X head on that snare. I used to use those with my Masters drums. It's pretty much the same as the Studio X but has the ring underneath the head where it tames the overtones a little bit. You can get it with a power dot too which helps focus the attack a little bit. The Studio-X is really not intended to be a snare drum head.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 01-16-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

10. Bad Girlfriend

Looks fantastic!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

11. Registered User

Thanks for the heads up MM, I know the studio x is for toms but I ain't afraid to think outta the box, one never knows what'll happen until one tries. Thanks Nova, it's appreciated. I got a coated G2 on the snare now, gonna try that for a while, I have 4 others waiting in the wings, just in case. If anyone has a line on a 12" Tom from the Masters Custom series in the same finish, which I believe is natural, drop a line if you can, it'd be very much appreciated. Cheers.

12. Skeld-the -wicked

Looks great PEARLSAB! I like Evans genera Hd reverse dot coated or St ,or St dry on my MRX Snare.EC2 clears on tom batters . Emad 2 ,Emad reso on kick drum . I own a MMX /BRX and they are equally awesome in the same color. This era (mid 90’s to early 2000’s for Masters really are special .
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks