Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Man, that's a lot of HW for a couple of pads.

Honest, how long to set up that beast?
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Man, that's a lot of HW for a couple of pads.

Honest, how long to set up that beast?
    If I had to tear it down, move it, and set it back up, maybe 30-45 minutes (each way)...once everything is in place, the rack makes it stupidly easy. Fortunately, this kit goes nowhere.

Figuring out how to do all that....total time spent maybe 6 hours or so....it's *really* not too far off how I've been setting up my kit for years...just some evolutionary additions and tweaks....

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

3. formerly TubCrusher

Do you have any trouble with the pads slipping on the round arm as opposed to a hex Yam arm?
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..

4. Registered User

I've just torn down my SRX kit, which I had setup as a practice kit with 2 stealth racks and a long rack bar, one end of which is clamped to a tripod stand. Initially setting up takes many hours to get everything perfect. I'm hoping that with a bit of practice and familiarity, the tear down and setup will become very easy and quick. The one downside is that there is now some big and heavy items to carry - I bought an old big suitcase to house the T legs, stealth rack bars, pedal and throne. Most of the other hardware fit in a Le Bond hardware case but I have a 2nd LB hardware case with the all the unused tripod bases and a few items which are less often used. Oh and 3 cymbal cases and 8 drums.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I've just torn down my SRX kit, which I had setup as a practice kit with 2 stealth racks and a long rack bar, one end of which is clamped to a tripod stand. Initially setting up takes many hours to get everything perfect. I'm hoping that with a bit of practice and familiarity, the tear down and setup will become very easy and quick. The one downside is that there is now some big and heavy items to carry - I bought an old big suitcase to house the T legs, stealth rack bars, pedal and throne. Most of the other hardware fit in a Le Bond hardware case but I have a 2nd LB hardware case with the all the unused tripod bases and a few items which are less often used. Oh and 3 cymbal cases and 8 drums.
    Sounds like a waking nightmare.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
    Do you have any trouble with the pads slipping on the round arm as opposed to a hex Yam arm?
    None whatsoever....the clamp tightens enough on the bottom of the XP pads that it really doesn't matter that it's not a hex rod....

Kit Pix

7. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I have a big enough vehicle where I can take the drums/cymbals/extra bits off the rack, break it into three sections, and lay them down in the back of the truck (flat'ish since I try not to disturb the mounts,etc) and shut the tonneau cover. Rest of the kit and bits go behind the drivers seat. (I have a crew cab Sierra 1500 for reference, before that a mini-van). So when I get to venue, it usually takes 15-20 minutes to get set up after unloading.

I've gotten the entire kit offstage (my single kick rigs, not the Shop kit) in less than 10 minutes to turn around for the next band on multi-band gigs with no backline.

Kit Pix

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    I have a big enough vehicle where I can take the drums/cymbals/extra bits off the rack, break it into three sections, and lay them down in the back of the truck (flat'ish since I try not to disturb the mounts,etc) and shut the tonneau cover. Rest of the kit and bits go behind the drivers seat. (I have a crew cab Sierra 1500 for reference, before that a mini-van). So when I get to venue, it usually takes 15-20 minutes to get set up after unloading.

I've gotten the entire kit offstage (my single kick rigs, not the Shop kit) in less than 10 minutes to turn around for the next band on multi-band gigs with no backline.
    I’m wary of bringing a big rig to any show that has other bands. Granted, it doesn’t happen often but when it does, it’s a small 4-piece, 2 crashes, hats, ride and China.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Comrade Tim

Iím wary of bringing a big rig to any show that has other bands. Granted, it doesnít happen often but when it does, itís a small 4-piece, 2 crashes, hats, ride and China.
    Has only happened twice in my gigging lifetime...which is why I went to the Vision kit for my gig kit (but hasn't happened since I got that kit)....sounds great, with some tweaks durable, and a wrap not a lacquer....

Kit Pix

10. Drumming Since 1943

Has only happened twice in my gigging lifetime...which is why I went to the Vision kit for my gig kit (but hasn't happened since I got that kit)....sounds great, with some tweaks durable, and a wrap not a lacquer....
    Oh, I'm not referring to any damage my kit might incur- I'm referring to set-up/break-down time.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Comrade Tim

Oh, I'm not referring to any damage my kit might incur- I'm referring to set-up/break-down time.
    Ahhh - yeah, like I said the rack was huge for set up/tear down times....lots of futzing on the build, tweaking, then practice setting it up/tearing it down so I knew what worked and what didn't. I do the same thing with kits with stands - as few stands as possible to achieve the desired config - and quick to setup/take down is always in the frontal lobe.

Kit Pix

12. Drumming Since 1943

Ahhh - yeah, like I said the rack was huge for set up/tear down times....lots of futzing on the build, tweaking, then practice setting it up/tearing it down so I knew what worked and what didn't. I do the same thing with kits with stands - as few stands as possible to achieve the desired config - and quick to setup/take down is always in the frontal lobe.
    I should be hopefully getting a practice space soon. Can’t wait to tinker with all my stuff.
    Way Too Much Crap