Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Should I get a gong bass?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - get it fool!

25 86.21%
  • No!

4 13.79%
Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960616263 LastLast
  1. Because, @#ck you.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I’m always curious about these set ups- do you play straight 16ths and get different tones or do you play each individually?
    Honestly if you're running 16th notes a slight difference in size/tuning is only discernable if you're REALLY listening for it....listen to Aenima (the song, not the album) - Danny uses two different sized kicks on that song - tuned differently - but you'd be hard pressed to tell....and in terms of bpm it's not even that fast....

For me it's about options....anything I use the 20 on for single kick groove is slow and steady - something I can play with my left foot and still maintain a groove....*when* I up-tempo into sustained triplets on both kicks (or even 16th notes for that matter) - it flows so the differential in tuning is really hard to discern.....
    Last edited by Jonah Hex; 01-14-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Honestly if you're running 16th notes a slight difference in size/tuning is only discernable if you're REALLY listening for it....listen to Aenima (the song, not the album) - Danny uses two different sized kicks on that song - tuned differently - but you'd be hard pressed to tell....and in terms of bpm it's not even that fast....

For me it's about options....anything I use the 20 on for single kick groove is slow and steady - something I can play with my left foot and still maintain a groove....*when* I up-tempo into sustained triplets on both kicks (or even 16th notes for that matter) - it flows so the differential in tuning is really hard to discern.....
    No he didn't. From his Modern Drummer interview 1997:

" My set was kind of a hodgepodge for this record. The kick drums were actually old Sonor Phonic Pluses, 18x24s".

(It's on page 70 of the February issue, the kit described on page 63 is the Designer kit he used for some parts of the tour, those were 24 and 22 kicks).

Those double Phonic 24s were also used for most of Lateralus, 10,000 Days and FI.

3. Because, @#ck you.

Quote Originally Posted by sinuatus View Post
    No he didn't. From his Modern Drummer interview 1997:

" My set was kind of a hodgepodge for this record. The kick drums were actually old Sonor Phonic Pluses, 18x24s".

(It's on page 70 of the February issue, the kit described on page 63 is the Designer kit he used for some parts of the tour, those were 24 and 22 kicks).

Those double Phonic 24s were also used for most of Lateralus, 10,000 Days and FI.
    Ahhh then I misread a different article....or the article was wrong - I'm too lazy to go find it so I'll take your word for it...

Kit Pix

4. Because, @#ck you.

Ahhh then I misread a different article....or the article was wrong - I'm too lazy to go find it so I'll take your word for it...
    At any rate - my statement still stands regarding the difference...

Kit Pix

5. Drumming Since 1943

I couldn’t imagine playing my left kick with my left foot while trying to groove righty.
    Still Way Too Much Crap

6. Because, @#ck you.

I couldn’t imagine playing my left kick with my left foot while trying to groove righty.
    Like anything it just takes practice....I do it a lot on my DTX kit in my office just to exercise the muscles...improvement has been slow, but noticeable.

Related story - I went to see A Perfect Circle years ago - Josh Freese had injured his right foot (skateboard accident I think but can't recall)....dude played the entire show with his left foot...

Kit Pix

7. Drumming Since 1943

Like anything it just takes practice....I do it a lot on my DTX kit in my office just to exercise the muscles...improvement has been slow, but noticeable.

Related story - I went to see A Perfect Circle years ago - Josh Freese had injured his right foot (skateboard accident I think but can't recall)....dude played the entire show with his left foot...
    But how does one play HH accents… with the same foot?
    Still Way Too Much Crap

8. Because, @#ck you.

But how does one play HH accents… with the same foot?
    Closed hats (loose, drop the clutch) and then use your wrists to define? I'm generally just playing a straight unaccented groove tho....

Kit Pix

9. Drumming Since 1943

Gotcha. I actually play kick patterns with my left foot on the dummy pedal in my car. Maybe when I get my drums set back up in a new space, I’ll give it it a shot. Whenever that is, two kicks will be used…
    Still Way Too Much Crap

10. Because, @#ck you.

Gotcha. I actually play kick patterns with my left foot on the dummy pedal in my car. Maybe when I get my drums set back up in a new space, I’ll give it it a shot. Whenever that is, two kicks will be used…
    Yah - like I said, it's really just practice, training the muscles, and repetition....

Kit Pix

11. Drumming Since 1943

Yah - like I said, it's really just practice, training the muscles, and repetition....
    Speaking of new space, looks like the studio owner has found a spot. And instead of being on the other side of town, it’s 2 blocks from my place!
    Still Way Too Much Crap

12. Because, @#ck you.

Speaking of new space, looks like the studio owner has found a spot. And instead of being on the other side of town, it’s 2 blocks from my place!
    Nice!!!! Good walk to warm up and practice! That’s awesome man!

Kit Pix