Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Commitment

1. Skeld-the -wicked

Default Commitment

Lately our band has struggled with this topic due to the declining state of live music and keeping a band going. What is really frustrating & baffling is the amount of bands that aren’t professional and to be blunt are awful. They play the same tired classic rock,country & buuuwaaa oldies but unfortunately that is what keeps clubs offering Live music.

Our Band The B Side has worked hard to get as many gigs as possible but our genre of Blues edged rock is not as popular.
    Most people have no Idea or care who Tommy Castro,Coco Montoya, Ainsley Lister, Tab Benoit,Albert Castiglia and countless others are they just want songs they recognize. Playing original music also has limited draw in our area

We are not giving up just a little frustrated. I just celebrated 5 years of playing with my bandmates & that’s the longest time to date with the same band.

Feel free to share your experience,strength,Hope ,disgust ,frustration etc. Ps We don’t hate other music genre’s , we just prefer our choice in music.
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

2. Drumming Since 1943

I feel you brother. It’s not easy out there. People just don’t seem to like or gravitate toward live music anymore. The ability to make albums in your bedroom has unfortunately killed folks’ desire to experience live music. Rock and blues are MORT.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. life start at 125bpm

i hate hip-hop and wrapp....generally can'ed music lol.

more seriously........there was a jeff porcaro video where he sums it up quite well.....and that was nearly 30 years ago. when it all started with drum machines .......following this path in fast forward mode,here we are 30 years later with the number of possible live band's venues shrinking,and a new generation who's been endoctrined by the idea music doesn't requires live instruments anymore .
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

4. Registered User

I agree with what you are saying, I would just encourage you and your mates not to get so "frustrated" that your band lands in despair. You are carrying on a wonderful thing, i.e., being in a BAND. Surely there are some people that appreciate your blues playing. The band I am (Christian Rock original) affords us some venues that cater to our worldview so I am thankful for that and people appreciate it. The sad state of live music today I think will change, I think it will get better. There are some acts out there bringing it back, the young Led Zeppelin style band Greta Van Fleet shows you what honing your craft early can bring...Also I am excited to see live The Winery Dogs in Nashville in May!! Hang in there man and just enjoy yourself with your band friends while you can..we are only vertical for so long!
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    22X18 8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16
    PAISTE Signatures
    Eric Singer Sig snare / Simon Phillips Sig snare (Gladiator) / Tama SLP Brass snare / Tama SLP G-Walnut snare

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    Lately our band has struggled with this topic due to the declining state of live music and keeping a band going. What is really frustrating & baffling is the amount of bands that aren’t professional and to be blunt are awful. They play the same tired classic rock,country & buuuwaaa oldies but unfortunately that is what keeps clubs offering Live music.

Our Band The B Side has worked hard to get as many gigs as possible but our genre of Blues edged rock is not as popular.
    Most people have no Idea or care who Tommy Castro,Coco Montoya, Ainsley Lister, Tab Benoit,Albert Castiglia and countless others are they just want songs they recognize. Playing original music also has limited draw in our area

We are not giving up just a little frustrated. I just celebrated 5 years of playing with my bandmates & that’s the longest time to date with the same band.

Feel free to share your experience,strength,Hope ,disgust ,frustration etc. Ps We don’t hate other music genre’s , we just prefer our choice in music.
    If you've found a niche, play for the love of the music and are having fun, that's great. That's the path your band chose.

6. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    If you've found a niche, play for the love of the music and are having fun, that's great. That's the path your band chose.
    there's not much than that left anyways....

back in the days ( 80's- early 90's ) ,we were able to get 200-300 + free booze each for a 4 piece band X 2 night/week,and there was 20+ venues/theatre in the city presenting live rock/jazz/pop bands . there's may be 4-5 of ''live stage''' still alive,(and there's not much money in 'em ) ; but while still promoting musical events, DJ's or some derivatives get the love because it's what people want;dancing on a pulse ; the music over it being virtually of 0 importance,computer made preferably .

on the other hand,the summer -spring season means ''festivals''', which are mainly outdoor public shows/activities organized by different municipalities-cities across the province,and those are well paid gigs being tax money funded.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes