Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Gorjolio View Post
    It's uniform but a little bit bigger than what I can see in your photo ... so, my question is, if this is a modification or the snaredrum comes in that way? how do you fine tuning? (with tunebot for example?)
    Snare beds come in different sizes. You say that this is your first wood snare. Metal snares have beds too. I use a Tunebot for my toms, but a Drum Dial for my snares. I tighten all lugs on the snare side to 85 on the dial. On ten lug drums, I loosen the lugs adjacent to the beds by one or two on the drum dial. This helps reduce snare buzz.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I tighten all lugs on the snare side to 85 on the dial. On ten lug drums, I loosen the lugs adjacent to the beds by one or two on the drum dial. This helps reduce snare buzz.
    I used drum dial too, and have the snare head to at least 85, may be a bit higher. Good hint about loosening the lugs adjacent to the snare bed, will try that. It makes sense to me that these lugs should be tuned to a slightly lower tension.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Snare beds come in different sizes. You say that this is your first wood snare. Metal snares have beds too. I use a Tunebot for my toms, but a Drum Dial for my snares. I tighten all lugs on the snare side to 85 on the dial. On ten lug drums, I loosen the lugs adjacent to the beds by one or two on the drum dial. This helps reduce snare buzz.
    Perfect! Thanks, I think I should get the drum dial in this case, anyway, I have a Piccolo Soprano Pearl 3.5x13" brass Shell and donīt have "snare beds", my other snare is a Free floating 3.5x14" and donīt have "Snare beds" either , so Iīm very confussed at the beggining with this new snare...
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

PEARL Session Studio Classic
    Zildjian K, A,
    TruTrac drumheads, R.E.D BOX Module, Pearl E-Cymbals

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I used drum dial too, and have the snare head to at least 85, may be a bit higher. Good hint about loosening the lugs adjacent to the snare bed, will try that. It makes sense to me that these lugs should be tuned to a slightly lower tension.

I agree, but in this case, I think this is the effect that "Snare Bed" produces, because these notches produce less tensión over the drumhead, and the natural effect is like that, isnīt?..... So "snare bed" makes sense … Thank you!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

PEARL Session Studio Classic
    Zildjian K, A,
    TruTrac drumheads, R.E.D BOX Module, Pearl E-Cymbals

5. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by Gorjolio View Post
    I have a Piccolo Soprano Pearl 3.5x13" brass Shell and donīt have "snare beds", my other snare is a Free floating 3.5x14" and donīt have "Snare beds" either...
    Yes, they do have snare beds. Next time you have the snares and bottom head off, set them on a flat surface. They'll be easier to see.