Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    29

    Exclamation Notches on bottom edge

    Hi all!! I have a question:

    recently I acquired a New ssc 14*6,5" snare drum and at the bottom edge it has two notches in the area where the snare wires come from, is this normal? or should I assume that they sold me a defective snare??
    My question is because getting a perfect fine tuning in this way is almost impossible, what do you think?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________


    PEARL Session Studio Classic
    Zildjian K, A,
    TruTrac drumheads, R.E.D BOX Module, Pearl E-Cymbals

  2. ...A mind like Water...

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    8,472

    Default

    Without pictures, or any pertinent information about the drum, we will have no idea how to diagnose or assist with your issue.

    Please provide the above and I am sure we can help!
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CLT
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    Are you referring to the snare bed, or are there actual dents/gouges in the bearing edge?

  4. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    Are you referring to the snare bed
    Oi, that's what I was thinking too...

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    Are you referring to the snare bed, or are there actual dents/gouges in the bearing edge?
    Hi, I’m referring to the bottom edge of the wood shell, the edge are softened and don’t have dents, but has on both sides where the snare wires goes through the hoop, two large notches that prevent the resonant drumhead from perfect seating , which makes fine tuning so difficult, this is normal on this kind of snare drums? I being clear enough? I do not know how to explain in a better way...
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________


    PEARL Session Studio Classic
    Zildjian K, A,
    TruTrac drumheads, R.E.D BOX Module, Pearl E-Cymbals

  6. J-Con

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,501

    Default

    How big are they? Are they uniform and on both sides of the snares?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tasty808; 01-09-2019 at 10:28 PM.

  7. Unban nik12

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Near Macon, GA
    Posts
    6,346

    Default

    I think what you're saying is that the snare cord dug into the bearing edge and made ridges where they sit. I had that happen on my 14x8 maple snare.

    In my opinion those little notches don't matter at all. If you're having tuning issues try cranking up your bottom head tight and tuning your top head for tone. That's how I do it and it has worked 100% of the time

  8. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorjolio View Post
    Hi, I’m referring to the bottom edge of the wood shell, the edge are softened and don’t have dents, but has on both sides where the snare wires goes through the hoop, two large notches that prevent the resonant drumhead from perfect seating , which makes fine tuning so difficult, this is normal on this kind of snare drums? I being clear enough? I do not know how to explain in a better way...
    Still sounds like snare beds to me. If so, those are normal and help the snare wires seat against the reso head rather than bear against the shell's edge. You're 100% correct that it makes tuning that head in the standard fashion a pain in the butt, however there's generally only one extra step in the process along with a consideration or two. After doing my best to tune up all the lugs to the same tension in the standard fashion, I simply adjust the four lugs adjacent to the beds equally until any wrinkles disappear. The snare reso is a bit different than a tom or bass drum because of the snare wires, so you'll be trying (in collaboration with the snare wire tension) to find the sweet spot for both snare sensitivity and tone/resonance.

    Personally, I find snare drum tuning a lot more forgiving than tom tuning.

    Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    If you're having tuning issues try cranking up your bottom head tight and tuning your top head for tone. That's how I do it and it has worked 100% of the time
    This is roughly what I do. Not so tight as to choke the drum, though.

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    How big are they? Are they uniform and on both sides of the snares?
    It's uniform but a little bit bigger than what I can see in your photo ... so, my question is, if this is a modification or the snaredrum comes in that way? how do you fine tuning? (with tunebot for example?)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________


    PEARL Session Studio Classic
    Zildjian K, A,
    TruTrac drumheads, R.E.D BOX Module, Pearl E-Cymbals

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    thanks, I'm going to try it!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________


    PEARL Session Studio Classic
    Zildjian K, A,
    TruTrac drumheads, R.E.D BOX Module, Pearl E-Cymbals

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    I think what you're saying is that the snare cord dug into the bearing edge and made ridges where they sit. I had that happen on my 14x8 maple snare.

    In my opinion those little notches don't matter at all. If you're having tuning issues try cranking up your bottom head tight and tuning your top head for tone. That's how I do it and it has worked 100% of the time
    thanks, I'm going to try it!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________


    PEARL Session Studio Classic
    Zildjian K, A,
    TruTrac drumheads, R.E.D BOX Module, Pearl E-Cymbals

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Still sounds like snare beds to me. If so, those are normal and help the snare wires seat against the reso head rather than bear against the shell's edge. You're 100% correct that it makes tuning that head in the standard fashion a pain in the butt, however there's generally only one extra step in the process along with a consideration or two. After doing my best to tune up all the lugs to the same tension in the standard fashion, I simply adjust the four lugs adjacent to the beds equally until any wrinkles disappear. The snare reso is a bit different than a tom or bass drum because of the snare wires, so you'll be trying (in collaboration with the snare wire tension) to find the sweet spot for both snare sensitivity and tone/resonance.

    Personally, I find snare drum tuning a lot more forgiving than tom tuning.


    This is roughly what I do. Not so tight as to choke the drum, though.
    Thank you for your explanation, I did not know that these notches were called Snare Bed, I will try to adjust the 4 adjacent lugs, this is my first snare drum in wood of a decent range and I was a bit confused ... since the notches are much more elongated than those shown in the photo above, as soon as I change the drumhead this weekend I will post some pictures.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________


    PEARL Session Studio Classic
    Zildjian K, A,
    TruTrac drumheads, R.E.D BOX Module, Pearl E-Cymbals

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •