Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post

The Ambassador heads seem to have so much tone/body to them. I've noticed this on just about every drum I've played that had them. Even when tuned JAW, they just sing.
    if you appreciate the sound provided by the ambassador coated,check the amby black suedes version .it's what i use exclusively on my toms now. amazing heads ,really.same overall sound as the coated units, but the black compound remo uses gives just a little darker tone,which to me is the most balanced sound i ever heard coming off my tama starclassic BB toms.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

2. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    That is SO metal.
    Yeah, a little bit. Some Iron at the very least.

As for heads, I used to be a strictly Remo kind of guy. But in my later years, I've come to strongly prefer Evans' options for snare and bass drum batter heads. I still play the old Emp/Amb standby on my toms, though... I think. I've been meaning to give the Evans' tom heads a try. I tried an Aquarian bass drum batter head once. It worked, but just wasn't my sound.

3. Registered User

phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.

I use Remo, Evans & Aquarian depending on the kit and situation. The kit in my drum room has coated Remo Ambassadors for the Tom batters and Evans clear resonant on the bottoms. The aluminum snare has Evans ST dry batter and Remo snare side. The kick has Aquarian Super Kick 1 with Remo stock reso. Everything sounds great.

To the OP, I see that your two snares were different woods. Wasnít sure if the bearing edges and snare beds were the same ( Iím not familiar with DW drums). For a fair comparison I would recommend swapping top and bottom heads on those snares and tune like you did the first time and see if the same sonic characteristics exist. I realize thatís a bit of effort but may be well worth it. Itís all part of the insanity
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

4. Rim Shot Drummer

Well you know there is an interesting web site layout of the 'Evans' heads. I do like the comparison layout and description of the 'Evans' heads on the web over the 'Remo' web site. I can make a better choice for my design sound of my drums with the 'Evans' line up than I can from other web sites for drum heads. This does not mean that the selection I could make will be my desired sound of the drum resonance. After all it is the drum resonance that is the sound.
    ***My Backyard kit*** This kit of plywood as I call it, was my used starter kit. "Enforcer" brand. You got to love that name for drums. Evans heads were the way to go on these cans. To make that kit sound like drums; 'Evans was a total step up from the mylar heads that were thrown on this used kit when I picked it up. These were the drums I used to totally take apart and experiment with. For your "Junk" kit, 'Evans is the way to go. At least this kit came with a 13 inch Tom. The Evans' heads turned them into drum sounding drums. Emad as the kick Reso Head, however Remo' Powerstroke as the batter. My backyard kit also gave me the experimentation room for the use of Evans' reso heads. The most horrible sounding 12 inch tom, however, with the Evans' Onyx' batter and the Evans EC Reso head, it's a tolerable drum. Not Bad at all. It's on these drums I discovered the value and difference of the Evans' EC Reso and Evans' Reso Glass. I like the EC Reso so much I continued these Reso heads on to my carry out kit. The pearl "Soundcheck series." My first brand new kit.
    ***My Carry out kit*** Here's where the batter heads hit the road shall we say. The "Soundcheck' Stock heads worked, but I began to switch them with the Evans' batter and Evans EC reso. Much improvment I would say. Then after time I was ready to put on my boots, go to work and become a man.
    ***The Pearl Reference Kit*** These drums are my life blood as a drummer. These sweet gems came with Remo' Stock Emperors and Reso Ambassadors'. Not shabby. The Kick came with both Evans Powerstroke 3 as batter and Reso. The 8 inch, 10 inch, 12 inch, 13 inch, 14 inch and 16 inch floor Toms all had Remo' Emperors and Ambassadors. The Reference kit is for being an edgy drummer; which I am. I would say if you were to put Evans' batter on the Reference you just dampened your ability to be edgy and you should have bought a different kit. I researched a year before deciding on my Pearl Reference. Still from my experimentation with the Enforcer Plywood kit, I replaced for the 12 inch Tom a new Remo' Emperor batter and Evans EC Resonance. The Evans EC Reso brought out a little more natural overtone resonance and brought my 12 inch tuning under my control. The Reference kit will challenge you. Again, I am an edgy drummer and I like my beats to cut a sound of emotion. Look; I play these cans. They have their own room, sealed temperture and humidity controlled. I do live in a humid climate area, so my References have gone through two summers, only the slightest tuning and the wear has been fantastic. Of course my heads are clear. I like seeing into my drums. On the Reference Kick I went to try and Aquarian' Force II. A thinner one piece non ported reso head gives me a little more volume and heavier tone quality on the softer kicks and a little higher frequency sound or some treble overtone. On the heavy kick Pounds it might have a little more projection. I havent switched back to the Powerstroke 3 Reso. Eventually you have to stop spending money and switching heads and play. Oh yeah; on my Reference 10 inch Tom I did settle on Evans' EC Reso and EC2 clear batter.
    Last edited by PatrickDC; 01-09-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    Join Me ! I am a Pearl Customer

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Evans since Ď93

6. Registered User

In 20 years of playing, I've tried all the offerings from Aquarian, Remo & Evans. There is something about Aquarian heads that just never did it for me, from a feel and sound perspective.

Although, I do admit my first Kit was an Export in Alpine green, and the SKII made a world of difference on that 22x16 bass drum. I was pretty much an Evans user 100%, with some Remo snare heads thrown in the mix. When I built my first Keller Maple kit in 2007 ( link in signature) Coated G2's on toms & EMAD on bass felt and sounded the best out of all the heads I tried out from the three companies.

When I picked up my Reference kit in March of 2008, it came with coated Ambassadors and Clear PS3 on the kick. Kept those on for a month or so and landed on clear Emperor's after lots of experimenting and stayed with those for several years. I then went to coated G2's and those really made a clear difference to my ears AND feel, to mention the Evans durability. So the last 4 years or so, its been Coated G2's & Clear PS3 on the kick.

Great feel, sound and really shine through on recordings!

A few months ago, I picked up a mint Shattered Turquoise Starclassic B/B on the ULTRA cheap (20z18,12x7,14x12) to add to the sonic flavors I already have with the Keller Maple kit & Reference.

This Starclassic came with clear EC2's on the toms, G1 reso & a clear SKII on the bass drum. The toms sound phenomenal, they have such a great amount of depth and perfect sustain for how small the sizes are. They honestly record and sound much bigger than they really are, which was a massive surprise.

I gave the SKII a shot for a couple weeks, but like I was saying above I just couldn't get into the sound or feel; no matter the tuning. I switched over to a clear EMAD and couldn't be happier. My bands record we are about done wrapping up on the mixing side, sounds massive... Couldn't be happier with them, although I think my Reference kit is getting lonely, so I will set that back up in our rehearsal studio now we are done recording for a while and use the Starclassic for shows coming up.

Snare heads- On my 14x6 DW Cast Bronze w/ Cast hoops I have been using either coated ambassadors or PCRD's mainly. Duriing our recording time, the stores were out of both of those heads, so I went with a coated G1.

Boy am I happy it worked out that way, this snare has never sounded so good in any tuning range. This head will be a staple on this drum for the foreseeable future, plus that Evan durability is hard to beat!

End of the day, you need to use what sounds and feels good to you.
    There's more than one flavor of ice cream, so try as many as you can... But sometimes vanilla just hits the spot!

Wow.... i didn't think I would be typing a novel, sorry haha
    My Kits-

Reference 4pc Setup

Reference Kit-

My Homebuilt kit..

Want to trade my 22x18 Granite Sparkle Bass drum for 20x18 Granite Sparkle. Hit me up :D

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Evans since ‘93
    Remo since 64.

8. More beer.

Where Hell froze over somewhere in Norway

Evans since 2009 ("young" drummer here, I'm only 25).

Would love to see that Starclassic, Symbolic!

9. Registered User

Josh, if you were to go with Remo, what would you get?

10. Registered User

Anyone playing Ludwig Weather Masters or Silver Dots?

11. Rogue Ex-Mod

I've gone back and forth many times and tried lots of models from Remo, Evans and Aquarian. I've learned it really is just the individual drum and the specific sound you want from that drum. I've got toms with Clear G1s, I've got toms with Coated Emperors, I've got toms with Hydraulics... they all serve their purpose. I most commonly use Aquarian SKII's on my bass drums because I find them the easiest to tune up without additional muffling required. I think all three are valid, professional brands with good quality heads.

I will agree with others that the Evans heads tend to sit flat on the drum a little more consistently (the 360 thing seems to have helped IMO) and the coating tends to last a little longer.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Evans since 2009 ("young" drummer here, I'm only 25).

Would love to see that Starclassic, Symbolic!
    Here's a link to the thread I made when I picked it up.
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...sic-B-B-Inside
    My Kits-

Reference 4pc Setup

Reference Kit-

My Homebuilt kit..

Want to trade my 22x18 Granite Sparkle Bass drum for 20x18 Granite Sparkle. Hit me up :D