Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. HERTA so good!

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    TO MY EARS, remo has always produced a more pleasant sound on my toms......more warmth and tone if you will. whereas evans gets my ears a more plasticy ,more eq'ed sound ,and this using amby VS G1's. then, no matter what, i'm a remo user for ever.yes the coating may chip away faster than evans,but the sound isn't affected so it's only a visual matter to me.
    This is kind of what I've been experiencing myself lately in regards to the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I think there are several factors to consider here. Before I bring up my point, I wanted to suggest that you complete your experiment. What I mean by that is to switch the heads on those two snare drums and see if you still like the Remo a little better. It very well may be the case that you're liking the sound you get out of the Remo heads, or you might like the sound of the Designer shell and edges better... we won't know until you try.

I'm using Evans, Remo, and Aquarian heads on my kit, whichever works best for each specific drum. For quite some time now, I've been saying if a Remo head fits your drum shell, and lays flat, it will likely be a fine head to use. On the other hand, sometimes a Remo head has too much curvature towards the edges, and wobbles when you try to lay it on the shell. If it does, ABORT the mission (of changing heads... haha), because you'll be wasting your time and money. I don't predict you'd have this trouble with a DW, Ludwig, or Sonor shell (maybe others), because they tend to use slightly smaller shell sizes.
    I actually did swap the heads between the two drums for comparison(should've mentioned that). To my ears, the Remo heads sounded warmer as described. I am a bit intrigued by the Aquarian heads though. I have not had a lot of experience with them but have enjoyed the few times I got to play a set of drums that was decked out with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I am an Evans convert. I played Remo for most of my playing days, but never felt they produced teh sound I was hearing in my head. Then I switched to Evans and my drums sound how I want them to. Remo's to me have a more "live" or ringy sound to them. Evans have a more "studio" or EQed sound. Neither is better or worse. They just sound different.
    I never really thought of it this way but this is pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Like most questions about types of drum products, it comes down to what type of sound you want. I’ve always held that Remo heads offer a more classic acoustic sound. Familiar and warm. Pleasant.

I switched to Evans because I want big booming LOUD toms with more built in control w/o so much use of tape and gels.

But you may not want that.

I switched from Emperor snare batter to Evans reverse dot frosted and couldn’t be happier. Again, I traded warmth for increased crack and response.
    I guess I nee to decide what kind of sound I want. I may just stick with Evans for now and try something different. It will save me a bit of cash since I already have G1 clears on the resonant side

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I've got Code heads (DNA coated, single ply) on my Natal Arcadia kit, much cheaper than Evans or Remo and they sound pretty good.
    I have never heard of these. I will definitely check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    “DNA Coated” was my college nickname.
    haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Have used both extensively over the years & have to say I prefer the sound & feel of Remo. To me, they just open up the Tom's where the Evans heads seem to dampen them slightly. I do though, prefer Evans heads for my Snare batter.
    That HD Dry snare batter is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by croomz View Post
    Dude, try Aquarian. You like the sound of my gretsch snare with the Focus X batter.
    haha! This is true. I haven't even priced Aquarian yet. Maybe I should
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

2. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    That HD Dry snare batter is hard to beat.

fun you mention this,because for me,it's the only exception regarding using remo VS evans. yes, on some of my snare drums, the HD dry is the only skin i'm using. anything brass gets the HD dry treatment. it was a nearly perfect fit for my thick reference wood snare drum, but i like the remo powerstroke X just a little more; sometimes, you succeed at really ultra fine tune an X drum,and to me, this example highlight the fact that the powerstroke X carries the same sonic properties as the HD dry, but there's a little extra something in it , which nails 100% the sound i want from this specific snare drum,whereas the HD was at 95% . a rare example where 2 heads give pretty much the same sound, but one filters what has to be filtered just a little better .a rare example of such phenom though.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

3. Registered User

Ive never been a fan of coated heads... ive used remo on my old Pearl Export, my Tama Rockstar, and jumped up to a Ludwig Classic maple kit. Thats probably the most expensive kit ive ever owned (this was back in 1999). However the owner of Retrophonics Studios had swapped my remo heads on my toms and bass for the evans ONYX heads... black batters with black reso's. I fell in love... they sounded great on our CD and since then ive always used Evans for my toms (currently using Evans clear EC2 batter and EC reso and my bass drum has a EMAD2 batter and black Remo reso with a 5in diameter hole cut in front with a protective ring) and I've always stuck with Remo for my snare heads... currently im using the reverse controlled black dot batter and the hazy Ambassador bottom on a Mapex 8"x14", i also swapped out my snares for Tama's hi-carbon 24 wire snares.

Someone else mentioned that they use multiple heads for whatever sounds the best. I think thats the best way to go about it honestly... sometimes we as drummers (not all but some of us) get caught up in using one brand and sticking to it. If your going for sponsorships then keep trucking forward my friend. I do have an evans 300 snare bottom and a reverse dot for my 5.5"x13" Mapex black panther snare. Even though any new mapex drums currently come with Remo heads... but i save those for back up heads. Currently i jam out with guys who play rock... and theres another group that plays reggae. So naturally i swap my deep snare for the smaller one. Im not sponsored or anything but i really do swear by these new Evans EC2/EC combo. I dont need muffling on any toms and that saves money. However i do put muffling on my evans snare.. the remo (which again is on my 8in deep snare) sounds perfect. Not much ringing, but it has the attack i want when play rock/metal.

Its all up to you though and what you like. I just recently put together a low end kit just for fun. I had to fill holes, purchase mounts for toms, re-wrap the shells which i had to fill in dents and dings. But its a Mapex V Series drum set... 9 ply, made of basswood. It didnt sound terrible when i got it but you could see how bad the wrap looked and since getting that Ludwig set ill forever have a virgin bass drum. Thats a preference that i like but others may think differently. Do what makes you happy and if switching over to remo is what you want then go for it. Its not too uncommon for different heads to be used. Especially when talking about toms/bass drum vs snare drum. I would love to try Evans hybrid snare batter. From the videos ive seen it sounds like something id want on my deep snare. But paying 50$ for a single 14" snare head just isnt in the cards for me yet. Lol but i like the sound of attack and tone.... sustain isnt at the top of my want list simply because of the music i enjoy playing. Its all in what YOU like and what you can afford. I love when people who arent in bands or doing studio work purchase a 1800 kit (like a 9 piece kit) that they play and bang on the drums like they are hitting a punching bag. Then when its time to swap the heads out they are dumb founded at how they now have to spend $200 or more for some good drum heads lol. When i purchase any kit... unless it has brand new heads (that i like) then im going to spend the extra 150$ to ensure i get the sound i want out of them. I just removed 4 good remo drum heads (when i purchased the two new snares). But its because i know what sounds good to me.

When i played for this church (i was 16 then, im 35 now) he gave me the best advice ever... because when he asked my favorite drummers of course i said Mike Portnoy, Neil Pert, and David Silva. He said to be a pocket player... theres a time to go crazy with fills and theres a time where you need to just be the backbone.

Also congrats on the DW kit.. i hope to one day get a lovely DW set. Keep at it though and dont be afraid to try different heads. Theres lots to choose from and i hear great things about Aquarian heads but ive never tried them. Good luck!

4. Drumming Since 1943

I think this is a silly discussion. There are SO many factors that can go into what a drumhead sounds like- even on the same drum moments after each is swapped. The slightest environmental factors (humidity, temp) and the slightest difference in tuning (you may think you’re replicating it exactly but trust me, you’re not) can effect how a drum sounds. Yet most of you guys allow this to drive you to “OMG- Remo rulz! Evans dr00lz! Aquarian is teh suxx0rz!!!1”.

To me, the only thing that effects my choice of heads is durability.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

revans.

I think Your on to something there....
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 01-09-2019 at 10:42 AM.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    I guess I nee to decide what kind of sound I want. I may just stick with Evans for now and try something different. It will save me a bit of cash since I already have G1 clears on the resonant side
    Top and bottom gotta match or the birds will fall out of the sky!

I'm enjoying the Remos I just put on my Rogers.
    I say make the switch.

But then you can't use ProMark sticks.

7. Drummer since 1963

I used Remo my whole life. It was a love/hate feeling for the product the whole time. In the mid 1990's or so is when they changed their coating where it would start to chip the very first night using a new head instead of taking weeks as I was accustomed. I started using Evans and have tried many of the various heads they offer for various applications and I've never been dissatisfied.
    That said, I sat in on a friend's Gretsch Renown kit a couple of weeks ago outfitted with coated Ambassador batters and the toms sounded warm and wonderful. I forget which Remo's he had on the snare and kick but the whole kit rocked.
    Another friend plays a Ludwig kit and although he uses various snares his "go to" is a 6.5 x 14 Acro. He's using a Modern Vintage batter and I'm not sure of the Aquarian bottom head but it is about the crispiest yet full bodied snare I've ever heard. I wish I could get my 5" Acro sounding that good. I've got to work on that drum. Still a good r&b snare as it is.
    Last edited by Ron Gerber; 01-09-2019 at 11:51 AM.

8. HERTA so good!

fun you mention this,because for me,it's the only exception regarding using remo VS evans. yes, on some of my snare drums, the HD dry is the only skin i'm using. anything brass gets the HD dry treatment. it was a nearly perfect fit for my thick reference wood snare drum, but i like the remo powerstroke X just a little more; sometimes, you succeed at really ultra fine tune an X drum,and to me, this example highlight the fact that the powerstroke X carries the same sonic properties as the HD dry, but there's a little extra something in it , which nails 100% the sound i want from this specific snare drum,whereas the HD was at 95% . a rare example where 2 heads give pretty much the same sound, but one filters what has to be filtered just a little better .a rare example of such phenom though.
    I'll check out the powerstroke x. the HD dry has always been my go to head for snare drums up until recently. I've been enjoying trying different head combos.

Quote Originally Posted by OfXaos View Post
    Ive never been a fan of coated heads... ive used remo on my old Pearl Export, my Tama Rockstar, and jumped up to a Ludwig Classic maple kit. Thats probably the most expensive kit ive ever owned (this was back in 1999). However the owner of Retrophonics Studios had swapped my remo heads on my toms and bass for the evans ONYX heads... black batters with black reso's. I fell in love... they sounded great on our CD and since then ive always used Evans for my toms (currently using Evans clear EC2 batter and EC reso and my bass drum has a EMAD2 batter and black Remo reso with a 5in diameter hole cut in front with a protective ring) and I've always stuck with Remo for my snare heads... currently im using the reverse controlled black dot batter and the hazy Ambassador bottom on a Mapex 8"x14", i also swapped out my snares for Tama's hi-carbon 24 wire snares.

Someone else mentioned that they use multiple heads for whatever sounds the best. I think thats the best way to go about it honestly... sometimes we as drummers (not all but some of us) get caught up in using one brand and sticking to it. If your going for sponsorships then keep trucking forward my friend. I do have an evans 300 snare bottom and a reverse dot for my 5.5"x13" Mapex black panther snare. Even though any new mapex drums currently come with Remo heads... but i save those for back up heads. Currently i jam out with guys who play rock... and theres another group that plays reggae. So naturally i swap my deep snare for the smaller one. Im not sponsored or anything but i really do swear by these new Evans EC2/EC combo. I dont need muffling on any toms and that saves money. However i do put muffling on my evans snare.. the remo (which again is on my 8in deep snare) sounds perfect. Not much ringing, but it has the attack i want when play rock/metal.

Its all up to you though and what you like. I just recently put together a low end kit just for fun. I had to fill holes, purchase mounts for toms, re-wrap the shells which i had to fill in dents and dings. But its a Mapex V Series drum set... 9 ply, made of basswood. It didnt sound terrible when i got it but you could see how bad the wrap looked and since getting that Ludwig set ill forever have a virgin bass drum. Thats a preference that i like but others may think differently. Do what makes you happy and if switching over to remo is what you want then go for it. Its not too uncommon for different heads to be used. Especially when talking about toms/bass drum vs snare drum. I would love to try Evans hybrid snare batter. From the videos ive seen it sounds like something id want on my deep snare. But paying 50$ for a single 14" snare head just isnt in the cards for me yet. Lol but i like the sound of attack and tone.... sustain isnt at the top of my want list simply because of the music i enjoy playing. Its all in what YOU like and what you can afford. I love when people who arent in bands or doing studio work purchase a 1800 kit (like a 9 piece kit) that they play and bang on the drums like they are hitting a punching bag. Then when its time to swap the heads out they are dumb founded at how they now have to spend $200 or more for some good drum heads lol. When i purchase any kit... unless it has brand new heads (that i like) then im going to spend the extra 150$ to ensure i get the sound i want out of them. I just removed 4 good remo drum heads (when i purchased the two new snares). But its because i know what sounds good to me.

When i played for this church (i was 16 then, im 35 now) he gave me the best advice ever... because when he asked my favorite drummers of course i said Mike Portnoy, Neil Pert, and David Silva. He said to be a pocket player... theres a time to go crazy with fills and theres a time where you need to just be the backbone.

Also congrats on the DW kit.. i hope to one day get a lovely DW set. Keep at it though and dont be afraid to try different heads. Theres lots to choose from and i hear great things about Aquarian heads but ive never tried them. Good luck!
    I used the Onyx heads for a short period of time and really enjoyed the darker tones I got from the kick and toms. I didn't really care for it on my snare drum though. I've also used the EC2/EC combo and really enjoyed those on my PDP drum set. They had just enough tone/attack without sustaining forever. At the time, that was perfect for the music I played. Despite continuing to play at my church, I'm starting to get more into recording/studio drumming and am really focusing a lot on my sound. This is really what's peaked such an interest in drum heads. I never really focused on it as much before and just tossed on the heads that were the cheapest at the time and kept on trucking. I've honestly played every single Evans head ever made aside from the hybrid snare head. I too cannot justify paying $50 for one head...at least not a 14" diameter one anyway lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I think this is a silly discussion. There are SO many factors that can go into what a drumhead sounds like- even on the same drum moments after each is swapped. The slightest environmental factors (humidity, temp) and the slightest difference in tuning (you may think you’re replicating it exactly but trust me, you’re not) can effect how a drum sounds. Yet most of you guys allow this to drive you to “OMG- Remo rulz! Evans dr00lz! Aquarian is teh suxx0rz!!!1”.

To me, the only thing that effects my choice of heads is durability.
    I'm not saying one is better than the other here. I'm mainly asking what everyone's experience has been with the different head manufacturers in relation to the drums they play. I essentially just have my sound pictured in my mine and at the present time, the Evans heads aren't cutting it for me so I'm on a quest to try anything I can to achieve it. Whichever brand that may be...

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    I think Your on to something there....
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Top and bottom gotta match or the birds will fall out of the sky!

I'm enjoying the Remos I just put on my Rogers.
    I say make the switch.

But then you can't use ProMark sticks.
    lol, my OCD won't let me play Evans tops and Remo bottoms and vice versa. It's all gotta match or it's no good lol. In all seriousness though, I have found that some drums seem to like certain heads better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    I used Remo my whole life. It was a love/hate feeling for the product the whole time. In the mid 1990's or so is when they changed their coating where it would start to chip the very first night using a new head instead of taking weeks as I was accustomed. I started using Evans and have tried many of the various heads they offer for various applications and I've never been dissatisfied.
    That said, I sat in on a friend's Gretsch Renown kit a couple of weeks ago outfitted with coated Ambassador batters and the toms sounded warm and wonderful. I forget which Remo's he had on the snare and kick but the whole kit rocked.
    Another friend plays a Ludwig kit and although he uses various snares his "go to" is a 6.5 x 14 Acro. He's using a Modern Vintage batter and I'm not sure of the Aquarian bottom head but it is about the crispiest yet full bodied snare I've ever heard. I wish I could get my 5" sounding that good. I've got to work on that drum. Still a good r&b snare as it is.
    The Ambassador heads seem to have so much tone/body to them. I've noticed this on just about every drum I've played that had them. Even when tuned JAW, they just sing.

9. Registered User

Room environment will play tricks on your ears for sure....like i told you the time i tried aquarian texture coated batters on my toms....they sounded like basketballs in the room i tested them in. At the time, I didn't have the new room finished where the drums are currently.

10. HERTA so good!

Quote Originally Posted by croomz View Post
    Room environment will play tricks on your ears for sure....like i told you the time i tried aquarian texture coated batters on my toms....they sounded like basketballs in the room i tested them in. At the time, I didn't have the new room finished where the drums are currently.
    Yeah I remember. Lord knows the place I tested them in was huge and has horrible acoustics lol.

11. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    DNA coated
    I once busted a knuckle on my snare drum rim, but the show went on. I'd say my snare batter head was pretty DNA coated after that.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I once busted a knuckle on my snare drum rim, but the show went on. I'd say my snare batter head was pretty DNA coated after that.
    That is SO metal.
    Way Too Much Crap