Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. HERTA so good!

Default Remo Vs. Evans....inquire within

Greetings all!

I want to start this thread by stating that throughout my years of drumming, I have always played Evans drumheads. Generally I have had a pleasant experience with the product and with the company. Any issue I have ever experienced was addressed promptly by their customer support team and any defective heads were replaced at no cost to me. I know there has always been a drum head debate as to which company's heads were better than the other and we all have several options to choose from. That being said, my church recently purchased a DW Design series maple kit that came with stock Remo Ambassador heads top and bottom on the toms and bass drum as well as a controlled sound/hazy ambassador combo on the snare. The drums(to my ears) seemed to have so much more warmth/tone compared to my Performance series drums that are outfitted with Evans red hydraulic/G1 clear heads on the toms, and an EMAD2 on the bass drum. Before you say anything, I am aware that the oil filled hydraulic heads tend to dampen the sound a lot more than a regular single or double ply head.

All of that aside, I decided to do some experimenting with a couple of snare drums and did a side by side comparison with the following drums and heads;

6.5x14 DW Design Series Maple
    Remo CS Coated over Hazy Ambassador Snare Side

6.5x14 DW Collector's Series Cherry
    Evans Power Center Reversed Dot/Hazy 300

I first tuned the Design series snare drum to the desired pitch starting with the snare side head. I then switched over to the Collector's series snare also starting with the snare side head. This is where it got interesting for me. No matter how little I turned the tension rods, I could never seem to evenly match the pitch of the Evans head to the Remo head. It would either be higher or lower. This is not something I have had an issue with before mind you I've never really done a brand to brand comparison. I continued on and just tried to get them as close as I could before switching to the batter side heads. Once I tuned each batter head to the desired pitch, I gave them both a good test(wish I would've recorded it *facepalm*). Though the drums were very similar in pitch, the Evans heads seemed to be a bit more focused and not as lively as the Remo heads to the point that I actually preferred the sound the Remo heads produced. I'm heavily contemplating buying some Remo heads and giving them a shot for a while.

Have any of you had a similar experience with these two brands? It's definitely peaked my interest and I'm curious as to what kind of feedback I hear. I apologize for such a lengthy post and appreciate everyone that gives it a read!

Pics of the two snare drums tested.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by drumminjc; 01-08-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

2. life start at 125bpm

TO MY EARS, remo has always produced a more pleasant sound on my toms......more warmth and tone if you will. whereas evans gets my ears a more plasticy ,more eq'ed sound ,and this using amby VS G1's. then, no matter what, i'm a remo user for ever.yes the coating may chip away faster than evans,but the sound isn't affected so it's only a visual matter to me.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

3. Playing since 1976

I think there are several factors to consider here. Before I bring up my point, I wanted to suggest that you complete your experiment. What I mean by that is to switch the heads on those two snare drums and see if you still like the Remo a little better. It very well may be the case that you're liking the sound you get out of the Remo heads, or you might like the sound of the Designer shell and edges better... we won't know until you try.

I'm using Evans, Remo, and Aquarian heads on my kit, whichever works best for each specific drum. For quite some time now, I've been saying if a Remo head fits your drum shell, and lays flat, it will likely be a fine head to use. On the other hand, sometimes a Remo head has too much curvature towards the edges, and wobbles when you try to lay it on the shell. If it does, ABORT the mission (of changing heads... haha), because you'll be wasting your time and money. I don't predict you'd have this trouble with a DW, Ludwig, or Sonor shell (maybe others), because they tend to use slightly smaller shell sizes.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Registered User

I am an Evans convert. I played Remo for most of my playing days, but never felt they produced teh sound I was hearing in my head. Then I switched to Evans and my drums sound how I want them to. Remo's to me have a more "live" or ringy sound to them. Evans have a more "studio" or EQed sound. Neither is better or worse. They just sound different.

5. Drumming Since 1943

Evans.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Remo.

7. Registered User

Like most questions about types of drum products, it comes down to what type of sound you want. I’ve always held that Remo heads offer a more classic acoustic sound. Familiar and warm. Pleasant.

I switched to Evans because I want big booming LOUD toms with more built in control w/o so much use of tape and gels.

But you may not want that.

I switched from Emperor snare batter to Evans reverse dot frosted and couldn’t be happier. Again, I traded warmth for increased crack and response.

8. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Evans.

Pearlnpaisteguy . remo.
    revans.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

9. Registered User

I've got Code heads (DNA coated, single ply) on my Natal Arcadia kit, much cheaper than Evans or Remo and they sound pretty good.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

10. Drumming Since 1943

“DNA Coated” was my college nickname.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

Have used both extensively over the years & have to say I prefer the sound & feel of Remo. To me, they just open up the Tom's where the Evans heads seem to dampen them slightly. I do though, prefer Evans heads for my Snare batter.
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

12. Registered User

Dude, try Aquarian. You like the sound of my gretsch snare with the Focus X batter.