Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 16
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    112

    Default HELP: Need to mount 15" concert tom

    Hi All,

    Just bought a 15" diameter x 12" deep old Ludwig concert tom. I guess I needed a new project . Going to remove wrap (Maple shell) and try some hand painted designs on it before resealing w/lacquer.

    It doesn't have bottom lugs or hoop (concert tom) and I would like to mount to the left of my snare. Ideally, I would mount on a basket, but I just don't think they make any that would go low enough for a 12" deep drum to be almost level with my now 8" deep snare. (which is at it's lowest on the old TAMA stand now. The specs on websites for snare stands are frustratingly sparse.

    Just spent an hour 1/2 online looking at options, but nothing is jumping out at me. Not stoked about mounting it on a L bracket attached to a cymbal stand. Was thinking more of an independent standing drum.

    Any guidance from the gurus here?

    TIA

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Hi All,

    Just bought a 15" diameter x 12" deep old Ludwig concert tom. I guess I needed a new project . Going to remove wrap (Maple shell) and try some hand painted designs on it before resealing w/lacquer.

    It doesn't have bottom lugs or hoop (concert tom) and I would like to mount to the left of my snare. Ideally, I would mount on a basket, but I just don't think they make any that would go low enough for a 12" deep drum to be almost level with my now 8" deep snare. (which is at it's lowest on the old TAMA stand now. The specs on websites for snare stands are frustratingly sparse.

    Just spent an hour 1/2 online looking at options, but nothing is jumping out at me. Not stoked about mounting it on a L bracket attached to a cymbal stand. Was thinking more of an independent standing drum.

    Any guidance from the gurus here?

    TIA
    Track 12,

    Why not just put floor tom legs on it? This is the best option for stability and flexible positioning.

    Another option would be to use something like an ISS mount that will attach to the top hoop and accept a tom arm. If you put the tom arm into the bass of a snare drum stand, you should be able to adjust the height low enough and position it wherever you want in relation to your other stands.

    MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 01-08-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  3. NO KIT TOO BIG

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Legs, ISS mount or Ludwig ATLAS are the easiest I can think of.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares

    Roland, Yamaha and Dauz Electronics, and loads of Percussion

    4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Oooh that ISS Mount looks promising.....

    And I happen to have an extra never used 7/8 tom arm sitting around collecting dust.

    THANKS MM & Rush!
    Last edited by Track12; 01-08-2019 at 12:06 PM.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Oooh that ISS Mount looks promising.....

    And I happen to have an extra never used 7/8 tom arm sitting around collecting dust.

    THANKS MM & Rush!
    No problem. Glad you had the parts available to use.

    I was recently working out a similar dilemna with my cajon drum kit where I couldn't decide whether or not to mount a small snare drum from the hi-hat stand. I ended up making a snare drum out of an 8" tom and putting legs on it.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 01-08-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Hey MM you got a picture of that? Sounds cool.

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Be aware with ISS mounts, there are two types available - one type for standard thinner hoops and another for 2.3mm superhoops/triple flanged which are thicker. There's also 2 sizes.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Hey MM you got a picture of that? Sounds cool.
    Hi Track12,

    Here's a couple of pictures of the 8x7 Decade Maple cajon snare drum that I put together last summer (as a prototype) to gig with. You can see the floor tom legs and offset snare strainer.

    After playing a few cajon gigs with this little snare, I like it much better than attaching a snare to a hi-hat stand. The depth gives it a deeper and dryer sound that is a perfect compliment to the cajon bass drum.

    Name:  DSC01795.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  72.0 KB

    Name:  DSC01796.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  85.8 KB

    Name:  DSC01797.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  81.0 KB
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,664

    Default

    Where did you find a snare to fit an 8" diameter drum?

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Where did you find a snare to fit an 8" diameter drum?
    For this build, I actually cut down a Pearl 10" snare wire set and made it 8". However, it was a huge pain do to the precision welding issues. Not worth the trouble to do it again.

    You can also get 8" wires from Puresound and a couple of other generic brands.

    MM
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    112

    Default

    That is awesome! 8inch Snare on Floor tom legs!!!

    I found this image of a 15 x 12 marching snare on a modified DW flat snare stand. This would be ideal but I don't have the skill to remove rivets (and re-rivet) or to re-insert roll pins correctly. I found the exact DW stand online and this dude took about 2/3 of the outer tube (and I assume inner one as well) off.


  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    That is awesome! 8inch Snare on Floor tom legs!!!

    I found this image of a 15 x 12 marching snare on a modified DW flat snare stand. This would be ideal but I don't have the skill to remove rivets (and re-rivet) or to re-insert roll pins correctly. I found the exact DW stand online and this dude took about 2/3 of the outer tube (and I assume inner one as well) off.
    It would have been a lot easier (and sturdier) just to add floor tom legs to a snare that size.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •