Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    Well, Pearl is really stepping up to the plate on this. Let's just say, their customer support is second to none. I have some decisions to make and I'll report back with the end result.
    Awesome!
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    If the edges were not true, I would have sent back the kit asap. What is wrong with the edges???? I thought Pearl did their edges on a CNC machine
    rough bearing edges can be buffed to perfection easy. now,if they shows up deep irregularities.....well,time to call a drumsmith for in depth corrections.

it's amaze me that,in these days and age, bearing edges on such high end kit can still shows up with imperfections. i bet all you want that it's related to the production pace,surely not because a lack of modern equipement.
    Last edited by rollracer; 02-11-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

3. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    if it's a brand new kit,i would also contact pearl, point out that the not so perfect bearing edges makes the drums a pain to tune,with some untunable ; of course, with quality pictures-photos .

if it's a kit not under warranty, rough bearing edges can be buffed to perfection easy. now,if they shows up deep irregularities.....well,time to call a drumsmith for in depth corrections.

it's amaze me that,in these days and age, bearing edges on such high end kit can still shows up with imperfections. i bet all you want that it's related to the production pace,surely not because a lack of modern equipement.
    His drum is a finish issue, not bearing edge issue.

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

4. Pearl Corporation USA

Rollracer - got it (thanks)

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

5. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Rollracer - got it (thanks)
    deleted.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

6. Registered User

Well, after much deliberation I have decided to have the kit replaced. I worked almost exclusively with Al on this and he was great to deal with. Al, thanks again for all your help. I was given a few different options, but the one that I felt worked best for me was to have the kit replaced with a Reference Pure Music City Custom kit. So I have decided to go with a White Marine Pearl RP MCC kit in the same sizes I had previously.

It pains me to know that my existing shells are going to go in the trash compactor. That was a big moral dilemma for me. I hate to see perfectly good shells, especially ones made out of African Mahogany, get thrown away. Knowing that woods like African Mahogany may not be available to us in the next 10-20 years, much like how we have seen Rosewood and Bubinga get put on the CITES list, it sucks to see it go in the trash. And as much as I tried to talk Al in to giving the kit to a music studio or an after school music program, he did bring up a good point about the liability Pearl takes on by having these shells on the open market as it can come back and bite them in the *** with false warranty claims and overall product smearing.

Anyway, Al assured me that all the hardware and other bits would somehow, someway, find a means of reuse and would not end up in the trash. Just the shells have to be sacrificed. So that made me feel a bit better about the whole situation.

So, that's how this is ending up. The MCC kit will get built when they get my old shells back, which will happen probably next week some time. So I should have the new kit some time in the first couple weeks of March based on their 2 week lead time and shipping times, etc.
    Last edited by Tommy_D; 02-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.

7. Registered User

Great news!

8. Registered User

That is a bummer that the finish was compromised. Beautiful drums. My new kit (not Pearl), had been collecting a lot of dust. It IS winter and I am running the heat pretty religiously. But it almost seems like a dust magnet. I may do the same thing and simply take apart and polish them.

Can't wait to see the new cans!!!!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    That is a bummer that the finish was compromised. Beautiful drums. My new kit (not Pearl), had been collecting a lot of dust. It IS winter and I am running the heat pretty religiously. But it almost seems like a dust magnet. I may do the same thing and simply take apart and polish them.

The easiest way to keep your drums clean is a feather duster. It gets in to all the tight spots easily and you can clean them off in 20 seconds. Super easy. But removing all the hardware, cleaning and polishing the shells and all the hardware, then reassembling makes sure everything will be spotless and smooth as glass.

10. Registered User

The easiest way to keep your drums clean is a feather duster. It gets in to all the tight spots easily and you can clean them off in 20 seconds. Super easy. But removing all the hardware, cleaning and polishing the shells and all the hardware, then reassembling makes sure everything will be spotless and smooth as glass.
    I actually have these microfiber car wash gloves? Been using those and a T. But thanks! Yes, the little spaces behind the lugs etc.

11. Registered User

Swiffer for the win.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post

Old Dog,

I know what you mean. I always keep mine covered when I'm not playing them.