Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

I practice rim shots but playing for an audience of one at my home I don't need the volume so I generally just use regular hits without a rim shot.
    Session Studio Select - Antique Crimson Burst
    Sabian - B8 (next upgrade)
    Vater - Los Angeles 5A
    Aquarian Drum Heads
    Currently learning from Rick Stojak

2. The Sensitone Guy

I probably rim shot about 5% of the time. Sometimes I do it by accident, like during a slow ballad.

3. Registered User

Never do.
    And it annoys me when demo vids include them (incredibly - seemingly purposely - inconsistently. That's probably something that's put me off ever wanting to explore them. That, plus my snares kill babies anyway.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

4. life start at 125bpm

i use rimshots while soloing,then,except if the music call for it (!!!) , i don't see any reasons to use rimshots all the time.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

5. Experienced Noob

If you are recording, the microphones knows when a rim shot is hit & when it isn't. For rock or metal, I hit them pretty much every back beat except when I miss. Non-rimshot hits just sound weak by comparison in a recording.

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

In general itís rim shots unless there is a necessity via the song to play otherwise. I think power is lost when not using them. For general room issues, I usually do this.

Name:  A2E1D3CB-95AB-488F-8C77-87F6A0F13B3A.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  60.1 KB

7. Registered User

Rimshots are not nearly as one-note as some of you guys seem to think. They can be very musical at any volume.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    Rimshots are not nearly as one-note as some of you guys seem to think. They can be very musical at any volume.
    No doubt. I find myself playing different parts of the shaft as well.

9. Miles Gibbons

I find, more often than not, I'm asked to play on the head of the snare in the studio. The producers I've been working with seem to like the more papery and sibilant sound from the head... most of the session stuff I do is more singer\songrwiter or pop stuff. I still play lots of rimshots live. Whether I use them or not mostly depends on the feel of the tune at hand.

10. Registered User

I play in a three-piece, Country/Classic Rock band, and we actually aren't really loud. I like rimshots, cause I feel like I'm actually hitting something, and I like the sound. But because we're not very loud, I never play them. I suppose I can try and control it more, and try hitting rimshots but a little quieter?

11. Registered User

It was only recently I found out that hitting rimshots on the back beat was "the done thing" and I'm not exactly young. Never had a need to do it, but then I've not really played "rock" music, more concert, brass and jazz bands where the snare is already way loud enough and a flick of the left wrist gives more than enough volume for those situations. Horses for courses.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

12. Music Lover

I very rarely play rim shots. The music I play does not call for it. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army