Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. What's in YOUR stickbag?

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lebanon, IL
    Posts
    706

    Default 12x7 Modern Utility snare props!

    One of my buddies puts on annual reunion show with his first band as a charity event and I let him use my drums (VMX with May Internal mics) and my PA rig (x32 Rack, S32 digital Snake, 4 Audix wireless mics, 4 Sennheiser in-ears, and p-16m mixer all in one rack) and he also asked if I could run sound. The mixer rig and drums are in the band trailer (he has keys for the trailer), but I forgot that I had the main snare. So they set up the night prior with sound check on the morning of the gig..I thought they were setting up the morning of the gig...and they were using what I use as a side snare for the main (12x7 Modern Utility, also with May Internal mic..Shure 57). That snare sounded (insert expletive) GREAT!! I mean, I knew it sound good, but I have never heard it through FoH (JBL SRX series).

    So, the show is going on, and there are about 4 or 5 drummers in the house, and everyone of them come up to me saying pretty much the same thing, "Dude, kit sounds good, but that snare!! What is it...that's one of the best snares I have ever heard!!" When I told them it was $140 snare (they know that my main snares are typically $500+ Pearl snares), they shook their heads in disbelief.

    Pearl knocked it out of the park with the Modern Utility snares.

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    So, the show is going on, and there are about 4 or 5 drummers in the house, and everyone of them come up to me saying pretty much the same thing, "Dude, kit sounds good, but that snare!! What is it...that's one of the best snares I have ever heard!!" When I told them it was $140 snare (they know that my main snares are typically $500+ Pearl snares), they shook their heads in disbelief.

    Pearl knocked it out of the park with the Modern Utility snares.
    The Modern Utility snare drums are a great value. It's also easy to upgrade them, if necessary.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    The Modern Utility snare drums are a great value. It's also easy to upgrade them, if necessary.
    I second that!

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the pueblo
    Posts
    392

    Default

    What if anything did you do to upgrade the snare?
    up yours


    Pearl Session Studio Classic 22/13/16 - Pearl Power Piccolo Brass 13x5.5 - Bosphorus - Roland TD-12

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Furious Styles View Post
    What if anything did you do to upgrade the snare?
    You can add any of the other Pearl hardware (e.g. tube lugs), a better strainer (e.g. SR-150), stainless stell tension rods, the Fat Tone hoops, and/or Ultrasound snare wires.

    Of course, all of those upgrades would be expensive. I wouldn't do it unless I was in love with the color and was using it with a higher end kit.

    MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 12-28-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  6. What's in YOUR stickbag?

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lebanon, IL
    Posts
    706

    Default

    The only thing I have done is put an Evans HD Dry batter.

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    The only thing I have done is put an Evans HD Dry batter.
    I like the collection of Pearl kits in you signature
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  8. What's in YOUR stickbag?

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lebanon, IL
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I like the collection of Pearl kits in you signature
    Thanks...love them all. I have to add my Midtown to that list...and hopefully, in the next few months, a Music City Custom Ref Pure

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    Thanks...love them all. I have to add my Midtown to that list...and hopefully, in the next few months, a Music City Custom Ref Pure
    Cool.

    I have a Masterworks kit in the Midtown sizes (all RFP specs). I love it
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    Thanks...love them all. I have to add my Midtown to that list...and hopefully, in the next few months, a Music City Custom Ref Pure
    What color are you thinking of doing for the Music City Custom kit?
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  11. What's in YOUR stickbag?

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lebanon, IL
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    What color are you thinking of doing for the Music City Custom kit?
    Since my go to is Wine Red...The Ref, VMX, and Export Select are Wine Red, and the Mid Town is the Red Glitter...I'm thinking something different, so the Satin Grey Sea Glass is probably what I'm gonna go with.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •