Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    I just heard back from the owner. He sold the kit a couple years ago and doesn't have the buyer's info. He sent me the email for the guy who first sold him the kit, though. I've emailed him.

I know it's super unlikely any of these drums is an 8-lug 20, but it'd be really neat to discover some anomaly like this. I mean. we're not talking 3-ply Ludwigs here, where you can't keep track of all the anomalies to come out of the Chicago factory. This is a Gretsch from the 21st century. How crazy would it be to find proof that a handful of drums in a run of 100 kits came out wrong?
    I wonder if it's the same kit, and the original owner (that you're talking to), sold it to the new owner (that I'm talking to). And dude 1 mistakenly told dude 2 that it was a 22", and he's just believed it ever since.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Skiddz View Post
    I wonder if it's the same kit, and the original owner (that you're talking to), sold it to the new owner (that I'm talking to). And dude 1 mistakenly told dude 2 that it was a 22", and he's just believed it ever since.
    Interesting thought. With only 100 kits made the odds are probably pretty good. What sizes does this guy say his drums are? My guy says:

8x7
    10x8
    12x10
    14x14
    22x18

From the picture Richie posted the number of rack toms matches up.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

3. Registered User

Hereís the clearest photo I can get of the inside of the drum.

We know itís a Renown and likely not rewrapped, so this picture isnít really necessary but I figured Iíd post it. The question is whether itís truly a 20.

Name:  230D6E91-70C5-44B3-93A6-4245C1FC51A1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  68.3 KB

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

4. Drumming Since 1943

That wrap hurts my eyes.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

Interesting thought. With only 100 kits made the odds are probably pretty good. What sizes does this guy say his drums are? My guy says:

8x7
    10x8
    12x10
    14x14
    22x18

From the picture Richie posted the number of rack toms matches up.
    Well, the guy already has the sizes wrong... The hanging floor tom is a 14x12 (14x14 hanging tom unavailable in that series). Also, Gretsch didn't make a 12x10 in that series. Should be 12x9. I'm starting to think we have a 20" kick here, and dude just has no idea.

Edit: And the kit on FB is the same color/sizes/configuration as the kit you found. And the same 8-lug bass drum with a claim of 22".
    Last edited by Jerry Skiddz; 12-19-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

6. Registered User

on his Facebook it says he is a carpenter maybe he measures like common core math!

best way to really know is to get a tape measure and post pictures.

Nun of us are gonna buy it but I learned about 2004 Gretsch Drums

Jskidds stay on the case
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

7. Registered User

Here’s the clearest photo I can get of the inside of the drum.

We know it’s a Renown and likely not rewrapped, so this picture isn’t really necessary but I figured I’d post it. The question is whether it’s truly a 20.

Name:  230D6E91-70C5-44B3-93A6-4245C1FC51A1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  68.3 KB
    That's the same sizes, color, and series as the one on FB, but different owner entirely. I'm imagining a scenario like... FB guy bought it from benthedrummer25. Ben probably told FB that it was a 22". Then FB guy just passed that info on when he went to sell it. Could've been a quick buy/sell turnaround thing, trying to make a buck, and just took the guy's word for it.

I bought a one-off Tama Artstar II kit, and it had a weird (for the time) sized tom on it, because it was a custom "artist only" thing. The guy I bought it from told me the kick was 18" deep. At the time the kit was built, Tama wasn't making 18" deep bass drums, but because of the weird tom, I just blindly believed it. So when I was first telling people about it, I said it was 20x18. I realized shortly after that it was a 20x16. But for a bit there, I was just repeating what I was told. My guess is that that's what happened here.

This is fun! It's like Scooby and the gang trying to solve a mystery!

Edit: PLUS! FB guy's ad says "Black Evans heads on toms", but no series. And "Power sonic Reno bass drum head". Sure, it's possible that he made a typo. And maybe he just decided to not get too detailed with the tom heads... Or maybe, it's because he doesn't know exactly what he's selling. Hmmm...
    Last edited by Jerry Skiddz; 12-20-2018 at 12:00 AM.

8. Registered User

Oh man, the mystery deepens!

9. Registered User

Here I thought I didn't get out much.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Here I thought I didn't get out much.
    Hahahaha, yeah, I try to stay in a lot around X-mas time... Dealing with crowds, SoCal traffic, sick kids coughing on everything and touching stuff with snotty hands... Noooo thank you.

... And bah humbug!

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Skiddz View Post
    Hahahaha, yeah, I try to stay in a lot around X-mas time... Dealing with crowds, SoCal traffic, sick kids coughing on everything and touching stuff with snotty hands... Noooo thank you.

... And bah humbug!
    Kids! Gotta love em!
    Way Too Much Crap

12. life start at 125bpm

8 lugs on a 20...make sens .on a 22,not much.

you know the saying : '''if it walk and qwack as a duck......'''
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes