Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Snare Drum Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm sure this is the 1,000,000,000 thread on this topic - but I've read all the others and can't get the answer I need.

I have a deep maple snare (14" x 8"). Don't know the make - think I bought it custom back in the early 90s. I just recently changed the heads - Evans 300 reso, Evans EC Reverse Dot Frosted on top. Bought a new strand of PureSound Custom Pro with the speed release pins. I also have some 1/4 pieces of moongel on the reso next to the wire (reluctantly added this), 3 cotton balls inside the drum and a half ring (out of old drum head) sitting on top.

BTW, F*ck those speed release pins. They fly out ALL OF THE TIME and leave your snare hanging in the breeze.

Anyway, I have tuned this thing so many different ways. I HATE choked out & dry snares and want that wet juicy sound - like Ian Paice circa old Deep Purple. You know where you can actually build a roll.

So I now have that sound and love it. The PROBLEM is that after the initial hit to the snare, the buzzzzzzzzzzzz lasts for day. Not sympathetic buzz - buzz generated from the snare drum, itself.

Any pro tips I may not have heard of yet?????

TIA

2. Chomp, Chomp

Tighten the reso head to 85 on a Drum Dial. A loose reso head is the number one cause of snare buzz. I have eleven snares and none of them buzz.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. life start at 125bpm

it might be one of the wires that isn't as tight as the other ones,than barely touching the reso head,then instilling a buzz...(from what you describes,it seems likely)

could be a loose screw.

could be a too loose reso head.

could be a tiny piece of wood somewhere on the shell vibrating then instilling what you think is a snare buzz but it's not.

a drum isn't supposed to buzz with no ends like that. make the whole turn around,i'm sure you'll find it .
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

4. A Passion Play ...

Check the reso and wires. Heck look the whole drum over.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. Registered User

It's already been said but tighten it up. I had a crappy roadshow snare that buzzed like hell. As soon as I tuned it higher and tightened the reso head most of it went away with no gel.
    Session Studio Select - Antique Crimson Burst
    Sabian - B8 (next upgrade)
    Vater - Los Angeles 5A
    Aquarian Drum Heads
    Currently learning from Rick Stojak

6. Chomp, Chomp

It’s intimidating to really tighten a 3 mil snare side, but that will most likely solve your problems. On my ten lug snares, I slightly detune the tension rods on each side of the snare beds.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Tighten the reso head to 85 on a Drum Dial. A loose reso head is the number one cause of snare buzz. I have eleven snares and none of them buzz.
    1. I agree. If you don't have a Drum Dial, just tighten it as much as possible without forcing any of the lugs.

2. Also, use a batter head with a ring around the underside of the head (e.g. Remo Powerstroke 3, Aquarian Focus-X). These heads won't choke your drum (or make it too dry), but a lot of the snare buzz is caused by the higher frequencies from the top head that can be dampended with the right head.

3. Make sure that your snare wires are not slightly twisted or pulled too tight.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 12-26-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

8. Registered User

Agree with the above posts. You can tighten the reso head tighter than you might think, if you go too tight, you'll get to a point where the drum will just sound choked. That's when I usually back off just enough to get a good pop without the choked sound. It should definitely take care of most of your buzz issues but check your wires over good too.

9. Registered User

Thanks to ALL.

I tightened my reso and that helped a bunch. Much appreciated. Also the speed release pin on one end of the snare was slightly wedging underneath via the thin slot that the strap slides through. So it was lifting the very end of the snare. Fixing that reduced it a lot as well. For the life of me, I don't see how that product made it out of testing and onto the market.

10. life start at 125bpm

well...you said it helped a lot....does it still buzz some?
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    well...you said it helped a lot....does it still buzz some?
    A bit - some buzz, but MUCH less. I'm going to go through more thoroughly this weekend and see if I can locate any more obvious issues. Thanks again for the advice.
    Last edited by Track12; 12-17-2018 at 12:29 PM.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Thanks to ALL.

I tightened my reso and that helped a bunch. Much appreciated. Also the speed release pin on one end of the snare was slightly wedging underneath via the thin slot that the strap slides through. So it was lifting the very end of the snare. Fixing that reduced it a lot as well. For the life of me, I don't see how that product made it out of testing and onto the market.
    Yep
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT