Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. The Hardware Guy

Must be the picture angle - the hi hat covers about an inch of the tom head, and is only between two of the lug tension rods. There's definitely more access to it than there is to the 13" in my current config, which is partially under the ride. Since going back to four toms, I've actually lowered the hi hat a couple inches - I'm naturally left handed, but always played a right handed kit open handed. I spent a lot of time teaching myself to lead with my right, so as to play hi hats and ride o the right, I naturally taught myself to play the left hats crossed over. So I decided why not just lead with left and right depending on what side of the kit I'm on - so now I don't cross at all. I did have a dual ride set up: hats and ride on both sides, mirror image, for a while. Fun as it was, it wasn't a great config, so I dropped it out

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

2. Registered User

Thrush - you're doing well to fit 10-12-14 in there. Getting enough space for 3 toms is really tricky and I've found it hard enough getting 8-10-12 up top while keeping the hihat far enough left to not get in the way but close enough to be accessible. The issue I now have is that the 8" is so darn small I have to be precise with my hands to actually hit it properly - so am practicing going round the kit both ways leading off the snare to 8" and back again.

Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. The Hardware Guy

I suppose it depends how far apart you like you bass drum pedals. Some have them close together, some further apart. Mine aren't Dave McClain distance, but they're also not as close as possible either. But I didn't move my bass drums to accommodate the toms or pedals - just happened that they fit nicely like that. I pretty much took my 4 rack toms down, set up a stand to hold three toms (and later a rack because that stand was so overloaded by the weight of my thick-shelled, heavy toms) and positioned the 12 in the centre. Brough the hi hat in from the left, and the pedal lined up snugly to the left kick pedal. I did have to raise the hi hat cymbals an inch or two to sit above the 10" hoop, but that's because I like a bit of a rake on my toms, not flat. The biggest challenge really was putting a 14x12 over the highest part of the right bass drum - again, having some rake on it means it's pretty much at it's most space-taking angle: at least when you have it far right you can sit it lower as the kick curves away - not when it's in the middle! That's why I dropped it out for the 13 - it's an inch shallower at 11", meaning I can drop the drum down just that tiny bit. If I ordered a new kit, I'd probably go 14x11 rather than 14x12

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I suppose it depends how far apart you like you bass drum pedals. Some have them close together, some further apart. Mine aren't Dave McClain distance, but they're also not as close as possible either. But I didn't move my bass drums to accommodate the toms or pedals - just happened that they fit nicely like that. I pretty much took my 4 rack toms down, set up a stand to hold three toms (and later a rack because that stand was so overloaded by the weight of my thick-shelled, heavy toms) and positioned the 12 in the centre. Brough the hi hat in from the left, and the pedal lined up snugly to the left kick pedal. I did have to raise the hi hat cymbals an inch or two to sit above the 10" hoop, but that's because I like a bit of a rake on my toms, not flat. The biggest challenge really was putting a 14x12 over the highest part of the right bass drum - again, having some rake on it means it's pretty much at it's most space-taking angle: at least when you have it far right you can sit it lower as the kick curves away - not when it's in the middle! That's why I dropped it out for the 13 - it's an inch shallower at 11", meaning I can drop the drum down just that tiny bit. If I ordered a new kit, I'd probably go 14x11 rather than 14x12
    I was going to say your bass drums are farther apart than I would like. Whatever works.

5. The Hardware Guy

Probably only a few inches further (reso hoop to reso hoop) apart than your Starman kit, although pictures can be deceiving

PICSPICS 2

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    Thrush - you're doing well to fit 10-12-14 in there. Getting enough space for 3 toms is really tricky and I've found it hard enough getting 8-10-12 up top while keeping the hihat far enough left to not get in the way but close enough to be accessible. The issue I now have is that the 8" is so darn small I have to be precise with my hands to actually hit it properly - so am practicing going round the kit both ways leading off the snare to 8" and back again.

Do you ever accidentally hit that A Custom and scare the hell out of yourself?
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Probably only a few inches further (reso hoop to reso hoop) apart than your Starman kit, although pictures can be deceiving
    Well as you know, a few inches in drum setups, can mean everything.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Well as you know, a few inches in drum setups, can mean everything.
    A few inches in a lot of stuff can mean everything ;-)
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Skiddz View Post
    A few inches in a lot of stuff can mean everything ;-)
    Tell me about it. Wait, what?
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    Do you ever accidentally hit that A Custom and scare the hell out of yourself?
    Haha Yes I did a couple of times, I put it there when I was playing with the new hybrid stand-rack setup to get the cymbal stand in the right position. I've now swapped it for a small Zildjian Trashformer I had sitting around, which I'll never hit when practicing with the silent setup, its just somewhere to store it!
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

11. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Thanks buddy. I grew up with a garbage Stewart kit, put together from different drums, bought at second hand shops. For many years I had drums, but no place to play them. Now I have my drum loft in my refurbished barn, where I can play whenever I want, and can have a cool colection.

26 piece Saturn III in Arctic white.

when I retire I am going to live in that barn
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Bombay Sparkle
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black