Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Oh no... what did I just do?

Buying parts that dont really go together should be rule #1... lol now I got to have a cymbal bass that could handle a 1" diameter pipe and I'm golden.. right now it looks so Jerry rigged... lol
    Where are you now Brent?

Name:  Screenshot_20181213-003726_Gallery.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  69.4 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181213-003745_Gallery.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  66.7 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181213-003831_Gallery.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181213-003851_Gallery.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  30.7 KB

What are some good stands that might hold this two tom and a boom cymbal beast? I'm putting the 8" and 10"... I'll use a dual mount heavy duty for the 12" and 13"... trying to cut down on cymbal legs. Might as well rack it...

2. Registered User

I would just get the vertical tube off that double tom holder, and call it a day. That is, unless the weight distribution ends up being messed up because of how far the tom mount sticks out from the stand.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

3. Registered User

Have you tried duct tape?

4. Registered User

Most cymbal stands are 1" - 7/8" - 3/4" i.e. the base tripod is 1" and accepts a 7/8" mid section. If you have a tom holder which is 1", then its going to need a bigger "tom" stand I would guess. Tom stands are more beefy than cymbal stands.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

5. Drumming Since 1943

“Bass” stands can be tricky.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

you could drive the roll pin out and save the 1" pipe for later Application and it would be lighter for if you gigged it

Ah "Base" Stands
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

7. Registered User

Lol it wasnt purchased as a "Bass" stand... lmk when Mapex V Series starts making a trimount to add a cymbal too on the back...

Bodgit you hit the nail on the head... the cymbal stand I purchased is obviously of low quality thus I was being cheap... Yamaha makes a tom stand 2 piece bottom for around 52$. It fits 1.5" or 1" which is what I need. It's meant for a rack... to be honest it's awesome I'll be able to have two Tom's on there... my original Mapex "Bass" drum mount has been gutted. I took the two tom L-Arms off and they fit perfectly. But then I noticed my cheap PDP 700 boom cymbal stand wasnt going to cut it which is okay because I can put an 18" crash or 20" ride or a 16" china... I've already got the 14in hi hat covered and my Jerry Rigged 16" crash cymbal. Also have a 10" splash which I have now found it's new home on the back end of those Tom's which will probably be the 8in and 10in toms... I'll use something with better reach for the 12" and 13" Tom's and the 16" will have those air rubber feet. I'm still sanding lugs, cutting gaskets, and need to finish light sanding and filling dents and dings on the wooden shells. Also I'll fill the old tom mounts.. that's where the real work is but I have all my material and i have a thread i keep updated... sometimes lol
    Current status of Tom's and bass (snare sounds perfect not going to mess with it as it will be changed anyway)

Name:  Screenshot_20181211-105740_Gallery.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181207-094840_Gallery.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  35.9 KB

To the chap that missed what I originally posted...
    Name:  Screenshot_20181213-003904_Gallery.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  51.6 KB

*if you look close enough you see two tom arms and at the back is where you'd attach an arm such as a boom arm for a cowbell or splash cymbal.) The fact the company decided to put what could potentially be a heavy topped piece is why I'd assume they used a thicker bottom. They do make cymbal stands that are 1" in diameter at the base or even 2nd pole up. Just depends on what your willing to pay. But just because the tubing is bigger doesnt make it a bass stand. Just saying.... it wouldn't of fit my original mount... that was 1.5", this mount is just an inch in diameter. I was happy the L-Rods fit!

Thanks to those who have been supportive and offered advice and even pushed me to keep going. I'll try to share as much of the journey as one man can with a cracked up phone lol.

8. Music Lover

Maybe you should think about a stealth rack, which would work with your platform thing. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    Maybe you should think about a stealth rack, which would work with your platform thing. Peace and goodwill.
    I've never had a rack... so I'm not savvy when it comes to what's, what... now I've watched those Brent videos where I assume hes a spokesperson for gibraltar products... I think I've heard of a stealth rack I just cant find it... google it and it shows womens... uhm racks. J/k... looks like I'll be contacting musicians friend or drum factory (I love that site... best prices and super friendly HONEST answers lol) I saw a few different types and even a decent gibraltar but it kept referring to the piece as the "sister" to some vertical piece so I'm not sure if the stealth would be stand alone or if I need its "brother" to support it... at which I'll go all leftist on their butts and ask why cant it be the brother to the vertical pole?

I really have thought about getting a rack for it so I'm not dealing with tons of stands. I have 6 cymbals... and a double bass pedal (more stuff on the floor) but I thought they cost like $1,000's due to getting tom clamps, cymbal stand attachments, attatchment for hi-hat stand, etc... so anyone that's pretty rack savvy want to enlighten me or link me to enlightenment I'll begrateful.

10. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by OfXaos View Post
    Lol it wasnt purchased as a "Bass" stand... lmk when Mapex V Series starts making a trimount to add a cymbal too on the back...

Bodgit you hit the nail on the head... the cymbal stand I purchased is obviously of low quality thus I was being cheap... Yamaha makes a tom stand 2 piece bottom for around 52$. It fits 1.5" or 1" which is what I need. It's meant for a rack... to be honest it's awesome I'll be able to have two Tom's on there... my original Mapex "Bass" drum mount has been gutted. I took the two tom L-Arms off and they fit perfectly. But then I noticed my cheap PDP 700 boom cymbal stand wasnt going to cut it which is okay because I can put an 18" crash or 20" ride or a 16" china... I've already got the 14in hi hat covered and my Jerry Rigged 16" crash cymbal. Also have a 10" splash which I have now found it's new home on the back end of those Tom's which will probably be the 8in and 10in toms... I'll use something with better reach for the 12" and 13" Tom's and the 16" will have those air rubber feet. I'm still sanding lugs, cutting gaskets, and need to finish light sanding and filling dents and dings on the wooden shells. Also I'll fill the old tom mounts.. that's where the real work is but I have all my material and i have a thread i keep updated... sometimes lol
    Current status of Tom's and bass (snare sounds perfect not going to mess with it as it will be changed anyway)

Name:  Screenshot_20181211-105740_Gallery.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181207-094840_Gallery.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  35.9 KB

To the chap that missed what I originally posted...
    Name:  Screenshot_20181213-003904_Gallery.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  51.6 KB

*if you look close enough you see two tom arms and at the back is where you'd attach an arm such as a boom arm for a cowbell or splash cymbal.) The fact the company decided to put what could potentially be a heavy topped piece is why I'd assume they used a thicker bottom. They do make cymbal stands that are 1" in diameter at the base or even 2nd pole up. Just depends on what your willing to pay. But just because the tubing is bigger doesnt make it a bass stand. Just saying.... it wouldn't of fit my original mount... that was 1.5", this mount is just an inch in diameter. I was happy the L-Rods fit!

Thanks to those who have been supportive and offered advice and even pushed me to keep going. I'll try to share as much of the journey as one man can with a cracked up phone lol.
    yknow. dsw just makes the clamp with 2 tom arms and NO inch pipe
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    yknow. dsw just makes the clamp with 2 tom arms and NO inch pipe
    I suggested above that he just take the pipe off his existing piece. It's free and easy.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

12. Registered User

I ended up getting a 1in diameter bottom double braced legs. Not sure what it was meant to hold but its just the bottom and the base height is about 27" i believe. Ill have plenty of room to clear my bass and i went on amazon and purchased multiple stands and this time i got whats pictured below...

Name:  Screenshot_20181223-111107_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  23.7 KB

Its the samething i purchased only it comes with a stand lol but i paid like 30$ less for the first one i got and my buddy who plays at his church let me rummage through their percussion room which is how i got the bottom stand.

Then i got a few other things from amazon
    Name:  Screenshot_20181223-111122_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  26.0 KB

Had to get 2x of these

Name:  Screenshot_20181223-111615_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  24.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181223-111759_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  37.0 KB

And i got a cymbal arm that attaches to a cymbal stand.
    I needed enough stands for 6 to 7 cymbals... still not sure about this 14in "crash" i may make a stack if i can get my hands on a 12in china or another 14in cymbal and make a trash type hi-hat.