Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. life start at 125bpm

Default effective double bass techniques-tutorial ?

i'm ashamed a little....after more than 15 years playing a single only ,i want to get back to it seriously . knowing me , i know that if i'm diving into it , i will dedicate quite some of my playing time at practicing my double bass ,but i want to do it the right way .

so my question is: is there any tutorial-series of videos that are effective in learning the right drills so in 6 months from now i'd be quite ok,maybe a little more than ok?

as i said,i'm willing to dedicate a lot of my practice time to double bass exercises; however, i feel i should learn with the best tools available ,meaning the best learning books,vids, web tutorials...

so,double bass experts, what do you think would be the best way to climb the ladder fast, but in a solid way? assuming i'm starting from scratch ?
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

2. Registered User

Just DO IT, brother.

3. Registered User

try Drumeo.com...they have some double bass lessons
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

4. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    Just DO IT, brother.
    lol...i'm kind of a cartesian individual lol...i need to know that what i do or practice is the right way of doin it ,so i'm getting the best results in a relatively short time frame.. times flies.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbatterhead View Post
    try Drumeo.com...they have some double bass lessons
    thanks for the cue oldbatterhead. .will check it out.
    Last edited by rollracer; 12-11-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

5. More beer.

Where Hell froze over somewhere in Norway

Try to mirror everything you do with the right foot, with the left one. That's the easiest way I believe. I just played and played when I started.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Start with 32nd notes at 320 bpm. And leg weights. And put double kick in every song you play. That should get you on your way.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

You could take a look at this free series from Drumeo and adapt it for double bass, especially the Day #7 routine which I find excellent for fast feet and coordinating with the hands. https://www.drumeo.com/faster/
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

8. life start at 125bpm

what i find uneasy is deciding with which foot i'm gonna start a fill,and also,the coordination left foot-snare drum....briefly,filling the empty spaces with the left lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Start with 32nd notes at 320 bpm. And leg weights. And put double kick in every song you play. That should get you on your way.
    i don't plan on playing death,speed,hard core,scream metal. i would use this skill to give speed to some specific fills like the bonham thunder roll triplet which sounds great with the double bass added.
    Last edited by rollracer; 12-12-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

9. Registered User

Why not just use basic hand independence drills but play them with your feet? I mean, there's nothing magical about playing double bass. It's just limb independence, coordination and speed (if you're into that kinda of music). Consistency of stroke, dynamics, the ability to lead with either foot... all the same principles apply to your feet as your hands.

I dunno... I'm self-taught and I suck... so maybe that's not the best advice.

10. Registered User

Watch Joe Franco's Double Bass Drumming Video from 1984. It's about 55 minutes and easily found on youtube. That in combination with his book is still the best way to learn. There are so many clips found online from drummers with this way or that way but at a fundamental and easy to understand and most importantly logical level, Joe really did get it right 34 years ago. He goes over the lead with left foot versus lead with right and the benefits, etc.

Balance. Have your weight and center of gravity come from your rear end, not the left foot weighted on the hi-hat pedal.

Close your hi-hat clutch and play everything with the left foot instead. Is the intro to Walk This Way easy? If not, slow it down and play that until it is. How about those quick doubles that Joey Kramer plays in Love in an Elevator. Pick a tempo where you can pull those off with the left foot and work up until you can play it at recorded tempo. Same thing for Toto's Hold the Line at the end of the song where Jeff is playing those quick hits on kick drum.

Play double bass to slow songs such as Back in Black or Billie Jean. Who cares if it's musical or not, it's a means to an end. 8ths on a closed hi-hat, snare on 2 and 4 and solid 16th notes RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL on the feet.

Playing fast or swivel or push pull, constant release, double strokes and every other buzz word on youtube. All are useless until solid fundamentals are achieved.

11. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
    Watch Joe Franco's Double Bass Drumming Video from 1984. It's about 55 minutes and easily found on youtube. That in combination with his book is still the best way to learn. There are so many clips found online from drummers with this way or that way but at a fundamental and easy to understand and most importantly logical level, Joe really did get it right 34 years ago. He goes over the lead with left foot versus lead with right and the benefits, etc.

Balance. Have your weight and center of gravity come from your rear end, not the left foot weighted on the hi-hat pedal.

Close your hi-hat clutch and play everything with the left foot instead. Is the intro to Walk This Way easy? If not, slow it down and play that until it is. How about those quick doubles that Joey Kramer plays in Love in an Elevator. Pick a tempo where you can pull those off with the left foot and work up until you can play it at recorded tempo. Same thing for Toto's Hold the Line at the end of the song where Jeff is playing those quick hits on kick drum.

Play double bass to slow songs such as Back in Black or Billie Jean. Who cares if it's musical or not, it's a means to an end. 8ths on a closed hi-hat, snare on 2 and 4 and solid 16th notes RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL on the feet.

Playing fast or swivel or push pull, constant release, double strokes and every other buzz word on youtube. All are useless until solid fundamentals are achieved.
    ah! the kind of advices i was looking for. technique is crucial in any sports ,playing a music instrument......driving a race bike. technique is what makes your performance organic at one point.

will definitely check his videos. you pointed some factors which i'm affected by.

Joe really did get it right 34 years ago. He goes over the lead with left foot versus lead with right and the benefits, etc.
    ^^^

that is quite a change of mindset. the change i must make to enter into a new way (for me) of thinking things....
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Bostic View Post

Post of the year.
    Way Too Much Crap