Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default My drum wrap came in....

So Amazon is where I've been ordering wrap for my drums. I ordered a 24" wide x 118" long wrap material... its black woodgrain however it is thin and self adhesive. I was shorted on the width by .5 inches so I got 23.5 inches wide and 118 inches long.... which I can make it work but my concern is for the 1st 12 or 15 inches there are these long air pockets... I'm thinking that as I stretch and pull on the material to smooth it out that the air pockets will smooth out too... anyone with experience in wrapping drum sets please chime in. This is my first time doing this and I know I'll make mistakes but the less the better. I'm wrapping 8in, 10in, 12in, and 13in rack toms (none of which are deeper than 11inches, 16x16 floor tom and a 22x18 bass drum.

Name:  Screenshot_20181204-154220_Gallery.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181204-154254_Gallery.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  49.8 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181204-154305_Gallery.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  68.2 KB

I've got a roller and I've got long flat flesh colored tools used to flatten out any surface. I've watched a ton of videos but watching and actually doing it are two different things. Of course I'll get measurements 1st and cut the pieces I need but since the wrap is self adhesive should I use a backup plan for the seams? I originally wanted to use faux leather vinyl and just use double sided tape but unfortunately the company sent the wrong sizes and no longer has the size I need for my kick drum.... and I'm not wrapping the bass drum twice lol. Anyways thanks in advance for reading this

2. Registered User

those air pockets will roll out as you apply the wrap...should look good once its all done!
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

3. Banned

Good luck!!!

4. Drumming Since 1943

As long as it isn’t faux gum wood. The horror.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    As long as it isn’t faux gum wood. The horror.
    Right? Gum is not worthy of being a finish

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

6. The Sensitone Guy

I have a little experience with Amazon. If you are in the least way unhappy or even uncertain about your purchase send it back immediately.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I have a little experience with Amazon. If you are in the least way unhappy or even uncertain about your purchase send it back immediately.
    Even adult toys?
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Banned

Sure go for it.

9. Registered User

I appreciate the comments... I've already had to send back my original faux leather wrap because the seller specifically said "sold by the yard with a minimum of two yard order... plus it was 54" long... so 36" in width times two with 54in in length would of be great... however all I got was less than 20inches wide but 54" in length... I loved that vinyl so much that I was willing to wait for them to send what's owed. However the message I got through Amazon by this company I'll shorten it... "Due to recent material increase demands the price has gone up thus only allowing 1.5ft by 54". We are very sorry for this misunderstanding."

Who's misunderstanding? I understood good and well because I've been looking at this exact wrap for a week before I decided against companies that sell wraps for drums (they are huge rip offs.... $300 to $400... to wrap a drum a paid $190 for... the main set was $150 12",13",and 16×16 floor tom 14*×5.5" or more... (which mind you I'm not even messing with it because it sounds great) the 8in and 10in was purchased from the same guy... figured he would of tried to sell these 1st time go when I bought the kit... they were the same color... I'm like "funny running into you again for damn near the same reason I saw you the 1st time... I NEEDED DRUMS!!!" RIP Sam Kiniston.

But the company gave no options for dealing.. I have to send back what I have and if I want it again wait the 3 weeks it took to get here in sunny Duval... Jacksonville, FL. So I bought the same wrap I believe Mapex already uses (I really didnt know this) they have black nickel lugs and I'll have white lugs... figure since I use Travis Barkers sticks I wont mess up the finish. I'll keep you update... the 8" and 10" needs a light high grit sand and I plan to use Tung Oil on the I side. To make the bass drum a virgin I'm going to just use wood putty.. that JB Weld kwikwood wood repair epoxy putty... since it's getting sanded and wrapped it cant hurt but to give me a smooth surface. Cutting these gaskets are killing me.. for one you've got to make the gasket a decent size bigger, and you have to cut them all out yourself . "For the love of drums" again thank you to those that replied. I totally appreciate the advice and "just go for it" by MasterBlaster58. I'll post the after shots......

Name:  Screenshot_20181211-105636_Gallery.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  84.2 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181211-105712_Gallery.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  100.4 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181211-105651_Gallery.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  180.5 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181211-105740_Gallery.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  73.4 KB

10. Registered User

Good luck with your project. Just one observation... drum wraps are not a rip off. True drum wraps are much thicker and more durable than the material you're using and they have many more finish options than a material wrap. I get that you didn't want to pay a lot, but you're really not comparing similar products.

11. Banned

I can't wait to see it finished!!!

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Good luck with your project. Just one observation... drum wraps are not a rip off. True drum wraps are much thicker and more durable than the material you're using and they have many more finish options than a material wrap. I get that you didn't want to pay a lot, but you're really not comparing similar products.
    Agreed. I feel a lot of times the guys who think buying a wrap is for suckers are the same guys who try to sell that homemade re-wrapped kit on Craigslist for twice its value when new.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."