Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell Brass

1. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Have a look at the Van Kleef drums made here in the UK, very bespoke, using all manner of metals (including bronze) and also offering their own design of hoops, lugs, throw, etc. Very nice drums, and extremely well made.
    http://www.vkdrums.com/bsnaredetails.html
    at the end of the day,and looking at the whole picture,unless you NEED a costy brand name on it, you could simply find a custom drum maker willing to order you a thick (5mm and more) brass shell and have it drilled so you can apply your own treatement A.K.A hardware-lugs-hoops. a thick brass shell is just that, you're bond to a monster snare spitting serious volume .
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

2. KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Thank you for all your input so far! So far it seems like the DW Knurled Bronze is the way to go, but open to other suggestions still.

That's a very fine drum, can you tell me more about price and who makes it? Any sound clips?
    PM Sent
    Drum Workshop 6 Piece Collectors Series in Ruby Glass
    Various Snares
    Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
    Motion Pro Throne

Roland TD 50 KV
    Ahead Spinal Glide Throne

3. KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    at the end of the day,and looking at the whole picture,unless you NEED a costy brand name on it, you could simply find a custom drum maker willing to order you a thick (5mm and more) brass shell and have it drilled so you can apply your own treatement A.K.A hardware-lugs-hoops. a thick brass shell is just that, you're bond to a monster snare spitting serious volume .
    This is what I did.
    Drum Workshop 6 Piece Collectors Series in Ruby Glass
    Various Snares
    Motion Pro Throne

Roland TD 50 KV
    Ahead Spinal Glide Throne

4. Registered User

I've had three Bell Bronze Snares. Sold the first two. A 4"x14" Tama with the Bell Brass Hoops. Wonderful drum but not quite enough depth. 6"x14" Sonor Artist Bronze. 29lbs. I could never get it quite right to my personality and I spent a lot of money on head combinations along with 20, 42 strand snares, etc. It was just too heavy. Earlier this year I acquired a 40th anniversary 5"x14" Tama Bell Brass and this is the keeper.

You can't compare a drum made out of Bell Bronze with a Brass, they don't respond the same in any shape or form. I've had a lot of Brass snares over the years. Tama, Yamaha, Sonor & Ludwig. The two I have currently are a 5"x14" Sonor S-Classix Brass and a 6.5"x14" Ludwig Black Beauty Supraphonic. They are loud, cutting, responsive but when you really lay in to the drums they don't have the cavernous qualities of a Bell Bronze. You not only hear it but you can feel it in your whole arm. From wrist to elbow to shoulder.

5. Unban nik12

So it seems like what I'm looking for is gonna be a 5mm Bronze/tin alloy if I wanted a true bell bronze? I've gotten contact information for a custom builder and I'm very intrigued because it seems to be very affordable. I'm thinking of grabbing one of the Tama SLP Acrylic snares to cannibalize the hardware since it is also a 5mm shell.

Thanks for all the input so far, I'm really grateful! To the owners of any bell bronze snares, I would love to hear them if you have any clips. Please specify the thickness of the shell and what alloy/manufacturer made it. Thanks!
    Last edited by MitchLyons; 12-05-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    My DW Performance Series Drums

My band
    Revenge Season

Selling some gear, PM me for details
    19" Sabian Paragon China, 13x6.5 Joey Jordison Signature Snare (with logos), Pork Pie gold/leopard throne, Pearl 900 series snare stand

6. a.k.a. YtseJam

The is no bronze/tin alloy - bronze by itself is an alloy of copper and tin (and smaller amounts of other metals, depending on the type of bronze you're going for).

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bostic View Post

You can't compare a drum made out of Bell Bronze with a Brass, they don't respond the same in any shape or form. I've had a lot of Brass snares over the years.They are loud, cutting, responsive but when you really lay in to the drums they don't have the cavernous qualities of a Bell Bronze. You not only hear it but you can feel it in your whole arm. From wrist to elbow to shoulder.
    Yep. Well said
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

8. Registered User

I would support saving up and procuring the snare you want over all others.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
    I may have a suggestion for you but the cost might be slightly above what you are willing to pay. What is your budget limit?

Attachment 511744

This is a true cast Bell Bronze shell and bronze hoops. This is from the manufacturer who made the Tree Bronze snares. The one Danny Carey uses. They offer Tree Bronze and Aluma Bronze. This one is Aluma Bronze. There is no difference in sound but the Tree Bronze is slightly darker in color and somewhat more difficult to achieve a successful casting. They mostly have that sorted out now though. The cost is FAR below what the Tamas are selling for. Variables consist of what strainer, lugs and hoops you choose. They will cut the bearing edges and drill all of the holes for you. The hoops are amazing. The drum is fantastic.
    That thing looks insane!

Trouble you for more info about it, such as price and where you had it made?

10. life start at 125bpm

i know of 2 drummers in my locality who owned THE tama bell brass (1981 ?) and they both ended up selling it because it was of no use accoring to them. : ''''too loud'''.....'''too heavy''''. those are the remarks i remember hearing from people who owned it....but it is not the first time i hear that .

i owned a warlord series pretorian in 2009 (3mm bell brass) ,which is not exactly a true bell brass, but for me it was only a snare i liked to look at (a work of art,really) ,and play for myself ,alone in practice ; at one point i realized that it was too loud for an unmicked kit in a band setting ,bcause it was overpowering the rest of the kit,and also because of band members who were complaining it was too cutting.

it was fun alone,practicing my chops and skills,also a beauty to look at with the incrusted crystal , but not that usefull ; otherwise i'm more than convinced the pearl refrence would had been perfect,just the right amount of volume to cut, but civilized enough to be used in un'micked setting with the band.

my take is,thickier than 3mm ,such brass snare drum can stretch its legs best in large venues.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

11. The Hardware Guy

I still lust over an 80's Tama with the brass (bronze?) hoops. One day one will be mine. Maybe.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I still lust over an 80's Tama with the brass (bronze?) hoops. One day one will be mine. Maybe.
    Surprised you don’t own the LU Tama with the diamond plate.
    Way Too Much Crap