Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Music Lover

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    village in central Louisiana
    Posts
    1,009

    Default My Sabian Cymbal Odyssey

    Here is an update;

    Here is what the church cymbals are now:

    Sabian 20" Pro Ride I swapped this out for the AA 20" Medium Ride and took the Pro ride home.
    Sabian 17" AAX X-plosion Crash
    Sabian 16" AA X-plosion Crash
    Sabian 14" XS20 Medium Hats
    I added the 18" El Sabor to these

    Here is what I used at a band gig Friday last:

    Sabian 21" AA Bash Ride
    Sabian 19" AAX X-plosion Crash
    Sabian 17" AAX X-plosion Crash
    Sabian 14" Paragon Hats

    I am now totally happy with both situations. Using smaller sticks at church did the trick. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

    Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drums, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, and Paragon ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

    Church Drummers Army

  2. Purple Crazed

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    It looks like some nice cymbals you are using there! I love when you find what works.

    Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 20x14G | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Ugh. That's my next dilemma. Upgraded the kit and now I needed to look at cymbals. Currently have a set of 6 B8s. I'm thinking HHX with a paragon china. I mostly play rock and country, although I do dabble in some blues and what not as well.
    Session Studio Select - Antique Crimson Burst
    Sabian - B8 (next upgrade)
    Vater - Los Angeles 5A
    Aquarian Drum Heads
    Currently learning from Rick Stojak

  4. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    10,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadshow230j View Post
    Ugh. That's my next dilemma. Upgraded the kit and now I needed to look at cymbals. Currently have a set of 6 B8s. I'm thinking HHX with a paragon china. I mostly play rock and country, although I do dabble in some blues and what not as well.
    you should look at the SR2 sabian series. very great deals to grab in this line which is made up of ex-HHX's..AAX's...AA'a and HH's......you need to get used to each series particularties,then you are able to identify what they were before the revamping and re-labeling which makes your research easier if you shop online.live in a store,of course you use your ears.

    sr2's are generally between 20% to 50% off the price of their first iteration .
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's



    WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    you should look at the SR2 sabian series. very great deals to grab in this line which is made up of ex-HHX's..AAX's...AA'a and HH's......you need to get used to each series particularties,then you are able to identify what they were before the revamping and re-labeling which makes your research easier if you shop online.live in a store,of course you use your ears.

    sr2's are generally between 20% to 50% off the price of their first iteration .
    I just googled them. Looks like a viable option. Although it seems they only come in heavy, medium, and light designations. Other than that it sounds like you could wind up with every cymbal being from a different line. Which may sound ok or it could sound interesting. I'll definitely check it out though because the prices I saw were really good.
    Session Studio Select - Antique Crimson Burst
    Sabian - B8 (next upgrade)
    Vater - Los Angeles 5A
    Aquarian Drum Heads
    Currently learning from Rick Stojak

  6. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    Here is an update;

    Here is what the church cymbals are now:

    Sabian 20" Pro Ride I swapped this out for the AA 20" Medium Ride and took the Pro ride home.
    Sabian 17" AAX X-plosion Crash
    Sabian 16" AA X-plosion Crash
    Sabian 14" XS20 Medium Hats
    I added the 18" El Sabor to these

    Here is what I used at a band gig Friday last:

    Sabian 21" AA Bash Ride
    Sabian 19" AAX X-plosion Crash
    Sabian 17" AAX X-plosion Crash
    Sabian 14" Paragon Hats

    I am now totally happy with both situations. Using smaller sticks at church did the trick. Peace and goodwill.
    I remember the Sabian Pro and Pro Sonix lines; they were really nice sounding cymbals.

  7. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    10,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadshow230j View Post
    I just googled them. Looks like a viable option. Although it seems they only come in heavy, medium, and light designations. Other than that it sounds like you could wind up with every cymbal being from a different line. Which may sound ok or it could sound interesting. I'll definitely check it out though because the prices I saw were really good.
    the point with SR2's is that, you're 100% sure you inherite either an AAX,HHX,AA or HH.......which are the top sabian offerings. as i said, the only thing is being visually able to determine what it
    was before the SR2 stamping (AAX,HHX,AA,HH) so ,even shopping online , you still have a good idea of what you buy without actually trying it live. live is easy ; see,hit,hear,pick yours.

    sure enough, SR2's aren't by the truck load online. haven't seen any at my local store.otherwise i'd be all over each i see for sale,online or in store.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's



    WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

  8. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,217

    Default

    I have a huge set of SR2 cymbals... but they won’t be up on eBay until this Friday. The set is made up of hand-picked, cymbals, chosen to play as set. Some were formerly AA, while some were HH or signature, but definitely hand-hammered.
    Last edited by Drumming-4-Life; 12-10-2018 at 07:23 AM.

  9. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    10,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I have a huge set of SR2 cymbals... but they won’t be up on eBay until this Friday. The set is made up of hand-picked, cymbals, chosen to play as set. Some were formerly AA, while some were HH or signature, but definitely hand-hammered.
    i'm highly interested matt.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's



    WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I have a huge set of SR2 cymbals... but they won’t be up on eBay until this Friday. The set is made up of hand-picked, cymbals, chosen to play as set. Some were formerly AA, while some were HH or signature, but definitely hand-hammered.
    I'm looking for a china and HHX hats if you have that.
    Session Studio Select - Antique Crimson Burst
    Sabian - B8 (next upgrade)
    Vater - Los Angeles 5A
    Aquarian Drum Heads
    Currently learning from Rick Stojak

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •