Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Help me pick a floor tom skin.

Hello Everyone,

Recently got a 16X16 Decade Maple thinking that moving from a 14 - 16 FT would solve my tonal woes. Sadly it did not. Now I'm not the best at tuning, but I did manage to get the drum decaying smoothly (no boing, both heads in tune with themselves, coated vint emp, clear amb). Issue is the decay/sustain is too long (5+ seconds). It's good to know the drums can do this, but I'm not interested in this kind of sound for the band I'm currently playing in. I tuned the reso head up much higher than I normally do, and it's helped a little bit. The best sound I've had so far is tuning the reso finger tight and brining the batter up slightly higher. Shortest decay/best attack, but sounds to "flappy" for me. So I tuned the reso back up and threw two 14", and a 10" e ring on there. This is the sound! Loud attack, punchy mids, and a 1 second decay/sustain. So my question is what batter would you folks recommend to achieve this sans muffling? I tried moon gels, but since they don't bounce when the drum is hit, I find they kill the sound too much for my liking.

Remo suggested I run a PS4 as a batter, and my go to guy at L&M suggested a Hydraulic or a Response 2. Now in an effort to avoid spending another $100 on batter skins, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Practice Kit:
    Pearl: 14X3.5FFM, 16X16DM, 18X14DM
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 10" Spl, 20 Proj, 18" EFX, 6.5" ZilBel

Gig Kit:
    Pearl: 13X3 Piccolo, 13X10 Masters, 16X16 Export Kick
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 20" Proj, 6.5" ZilBel, 8" Spl

2. Registered User

Oh and I forgot. These drums are only used for recording/rehearsal (small room) so live projection isn't a concern.
    Practice Kit:

Gig Kit:

3. Registered User

Might not be the sound you're after, but my latest experiment (also a Decade 16x16) is a coated G2 reso with a coated G1 batter. It doesn't ring that long honestly, and actually no other combo (on either the Decades or the MLX's) has either. In the past I've used some good old DIY stuff like duct tape and toilet paper to muffle it a little bit (sometimes even the reso). Check out how Benny Greb tunes his floor tom, it seems super weird to me but most people seem to love that sound (very deep).

...have you thought of just a good old Pinstripe BTW?

4. life start at 125bpm

a convinced black suede player here ,and i've used 2 plies for decades ; my 16 sound deep with the correct amount of attack i like. i put cotton balls in all my drums which act as gates. i'm getting the right amount of sustain as well as a distinct note, but the cotton balls gives a nice cut to those factors,exactly like gates does .

the heads,resos,mik'ing,drums ,tuning are all playing a role in the sound extracted. sad to say, but trying as many heads as needed is the only way to find what you're after. me, i'm now convinced that a thick single ply is the way to go if its about finding the perfect balance in sound. especially when it comes to larger drums.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

5. Registered User

Hit the drum and muffle the reso head with your finger a bit.
    If that gets you the sound you're after, try a Powerstroke 3 on the bottom.

6. Registered User

The tighter the bottom head, the more reso you'll get. As for a "one second sustain, its just not what drums are meant to do. With that much muffling, all the craftsmanship and attention to detail that Pearl has put into their drums is for nothing.

That aside, if you're looking for attack and no sustain, you may just as well go with the hydraulics and call it a day. If that's not your bag, then stick with layering multiple mufflers/sound killers.

IMHO---Let them sing! Playing on their own may sound odd, but when mixed into a full group situation, all of the unwanted overtones dissipate and you're left with natural, solid tones, without choking anything.

7. Registered User

I had the usual trouble we all have with a boingy floor. Tuned it 8 ways to Sunday and couldn't get rid of the boing. I'm one who uses muting as a VERY last resort - I like my drums to sound like drums. I put a EC2 reso head on bottom and a EC Frosted batter. But the real solution for me was installing the air suspension feet to the legs. Night and day. Suddenly I had the resonance of the drum without the boingy vibrations.

Just my experience.

8. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by alanolynn View Post
    The tighter the bottom head, the more reso you'll get.
    This is not true. Just read the info that comes with a Tunebot. The greatest resonance is achieved by having both heads tuned the same. As the reso is tightened, the resonance decreases.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

9. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    This is not true. Just read the info that comes with a Tunebot. The greatest resonance is achieved by having both heads tuned the same. As the reso is tightened, the resonance decreases.
    exactly.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

10. Registered User

Thanks for all the replies!

Indeed I know drums are designed for resonance but I find with longer sustain they tend to get muddy during faster fills. I only run the single FT, so I would like it to be a bit more defined. I don't want it dead sounding, but more along the lines of a punchy kick drum.

I tried muffling the reso head and it didn't make much difference. I think I've got it tuned up high enough that it still produces a full sound but has minimal ring.

No I haven't tried a pinstripe yet.

Curious though, I find the e rings around the outside don't do much, neither do moon gels. Once I start to dampen near the center things start sounding better to me. Due to this I was thinking perhaps a control dot might do the trick. What do you guys think?
    Practice Kit:

Gig Kit:

11. J-Con

Get yourself a Big Fat Snare Drum (BFSD) 16" Steve's Donut... Or, the Donut XL. I have both. They work great for that nice thud, quick decay, feel you're going for.

12. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by alanolynn View Post
    The tighter the bottom head, the more reso you'll get. As for a "one second sustain, its just not what drums are meant to do. With that much muffling, all the craftsmanship and attention to detail that Pearl has put into their drums is for nothing.

That aside, if you're looking for attack and no sustain, you may just as well go with the hydraulics and call it a day. If that's not your bag, then stick with layering multiple mufflers/sound killers.

IMHO---Let them sing! Playing on their own may sound odd, but when mixed into a full group situation, all of the unwanted overtones dissipate and you're left with natural, solid tones, without choking anything.
    ^^^ I agree with "New Guy". ^^^

That crappy boingy sound utter disappears on stage when the Marshals are cranking to eleven and the dance floor is full. From the audience perspective, all that resonance translates into a solid drum sound. Don't always believe what you hear behind the kit. What's up front is important.