Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Is it time to rack up? Or use cymbal stands?

I currently have 4 rack Tom's and 1 floor tom. I also have 14in hi-hat, 16in crash, 18in crash, 20in ride, 16in china, and a 10in splash.

Should I use two tom stands with cymbal attachments? Or possibly look into getting a rack? To me a rack is a serious commitment and I'm just kinda playing the field right now. I got time... all my toms and bass drum have been stripped to their shells and when it warms up I'll have to fill areas with bondo. So an immediate answer isnt warranted. But I do want to know your thoughts.

Name:  Screenshot_20181124-074853_Gallery.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  82.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181125-141938_Messages.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  65.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181124-074410_Gallery.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20181124-074752_Gallery.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  36.5 KB

The last picture is the bass drum... it has these little chips in the shell. They aren't huge but enough to warrant me to fill them. Then I'll fill the tom mount holes using sand dust from light sanding the shells and bondo. The insides look great. The spots where the hardware was is super noticeable which is why I'm going to fill the tops of those areas too... make it all even. While making my bass a virgin lol. Let me know what you think... and before you blast me about the drum yes it's a mapex, yes it's just basswood. But this is my baby and I'd rather learn how to unwrap and rewrap a drum on a $150 dollar kit than try on a $1,000 kit.

2. Banned

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a rack!

3. Registered User

Now that lightweight stands have become popular, I'd go with those (unless it is a very large kit that doesn't need to be transported).
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Registered User

Yeah this kit will be stationary for awhile... but the cheaper option seems to be to purchase a cymbal stand and use a 2 way tom mount.... I'm not swapping any hardware out although I wish mapex sold aftermarket lugs. I love their rounded lugs like dw's or those lugs on the destiny kit... carbon looking shells with beautiful red lugs. I dont even have anyway to put a mapex logo on the drums. They were Mapex V series which "made in china" used "tape on logos" which couldnt be reused. Nothing on the kits screams out Mapex other than no gaskets for any metal to wood contact. But I purchased sheets of rubber to make my own gaskets. White lugs, black gaskets, black wooden shell wrap. In there like swimwear. Just gotta get cymbal stands lol. Its funny to have a 7 piece drum kit, nice starter set of cymbals. Yet hardly any hardware... aside from my Pearl Demonator and this old Ludwig hi-hat stand that's going to end up missing a leg due to my double bass pedal not fitting side by side. Also the bottom of the stand doesnt swivel. It's an old one I guess. But it will be nice to see the Krylon white hoops and white lugs. Especially against the black wrapped shells... I'm stoked.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a rack!
    I prefer racks too, but I'd rather see them in audience.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

6. Banned

How about BOTH!

7. Registered User

Although i love the sight of stands over a rack, i do use a rack myself because it saves a lot of time setting up (i our rehearsal space i need to set up my kit every time). I have a rug with markers, so i know where the legs need to go and when the rack is set it is just a matter of putting all the hardware on. 15 minutes later i'm all set up. I used stands before, but i always struggle to get everything where it needs to go and there is always something in the way. With i rack i feel like i have a bit more freedom and clears a lot of space. If i scale down, I'll use stands. But for a kit your size i think a rack will be the way to go.
    Last edited by iCe; 11-30-2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo ftw
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst e-kit | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

8. Registered User

I did both, hybrid stand and stealth rack setup... https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...d-hybrid-setup

Racks are better the more toms and cymbals you have, stands better the fewer you have. Somewhere in the middle is confusion land.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

9. The Sensitone Guy

Here's how I roll:

I play 4-piece. I fly my rack tom from a dedicated tom/cymbal stand. I have the heaviest stands I could find. They've lasted 15-20 years and are still going strong. I mount my bass drum mic from a Pearl BB3 bass drum tom mount. I mount the mic through one hole and thread the cable through the other.

10. Registered User

I'll jot down my thoughts which lead me to a hybrid setup, it might help you decide on the best way to go.

- I have a big kit, 4 rack toms and 2 floor toms, quite a few cymbals, it has grown over time. Positioning the biggest rack tom on a stand has always proven tricky and it was never as sturdy as I wanted. As the kit grew more recently with the addition of cymbals, using one stand per cymbal was becoming impossible and even using stand mounted cymbal extension arms wasn't easy as I couldn't get the cymbals where I wanted them. Add to that, the time it would take to set everything up and position it to exactly where it should be...very very hard. So it was clear stands was not going to work
    - So I decided on the rack approach. Problem was which rack, and how much it was going to cost. I looked at the Gibraltar 3 sided rack but its costs before I've added all the necessary extra clamps. I didn't like nor need the front tube as I have 2 toms mounted on the BB3, so that didn't seem a good idea either.
    - I then saw the stealth racks and thought - these could work, in part at least. Still , but occasionally they come onto Ebay used. I watch "Bretts Hang" videos on youtube, he talks about the Stealth and also hybrid setups which is when I had the idea....2 stealth racks then add a 46" curved bar on one side to put the 8" tom and cymbals on.
    - Kept an eye out on Ebay for used Stealth racks and luckily a guy was selling two together and I got them at a great price. Works a treat, and everything is memory locked so setup time should be short(ish).

Its horses for courses, think about what you want to achieve and why, and what your budget is. For me it was mainly about getting rid of the multiple tripod stands legs and having an easy setup with memory locks.

Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

11. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I'll jot down my thoughts which lead me to a hybrid setup, it might help you decide on the best way to go.

- I have a big kit, 4 rack toms and 2 floor toms, quite a few cymbals, it has grown over time. Positioning the biggest rack tom on a stand has always proven tricky and it was never as sturdy as I wanted. As the kit grew more recently with the addition of cymbals, using one stand per cymbal was becoming impossible and even using stand mounted cymbal extension arms wasn't easy as I couldn't get the cymbals where I wanted them. Add to that, the time it would take to set everything up and position it to exactly where it should be...very very hard. So it was clear stands was not going to work
    - So I decided on the rack approach. Problem was which rack, and how much it was going to cost. I looked at the Gibraltar 3 sided rack but its costs before I've added all the necessary extra clamps. I didn't like nor need the front tube as I have 2 toms mounted on the BB3, so that didn't seem a good idea either.
    - I then saw the stealth racks and thought - these could work, in part at least. Still , but occasionally they come onto Ebay used. I watch "Bretts Hang" videos on youtube, he talks about the Stealth and also hybrid setups which is when I had the idea....2 stealth racks then add a 46" curved bar on one side to put the 8" tom and cymbals on.
    - Kept an eye out on Ebay for used Stealth racks and luckily a guy was selling two together and I got them at a great price. Works a treat, and everything is memory locked so setup time should be short(ish).

Its horses for courses, think about what you want to achieve and why, and what your budget is. For me it was mainly about getting rid of the multiple tripod stands legs and having an easy setup with memory locks.

Very nice set up and kit!

12. Registered User

Both stands or racks work for whatever size you have.

15 piece Saturn on stands, all memory locked.

14 piece Saturn on a rack all memory locked.

26 piece Saturn on stands, all memory locked.