Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Eliminating the Dreaded 'Basketball' Sound from my Bass Drum

Hi,

I've just got my Masterworks kit, but believe it or not, despite the outlay, I'm struggling to get the bass drum to sound good (waiting on clear Evans G1s top and bottom for the toms to replace the coated batter/clear reso Remo Ambassador combo they shipped with before working on the toms properly).

Both with the coated Remo Powerstroke 3 batter it shipped with an the clear Evans EQ4 I've since fitted, the response from the drum is dominated by that horrible, plasticky sound reminiscent of bouncing basketball that I'm sure many of you will be familiar with, and I'm wondering how I can remedy it.

The drum itself is a 22"x17" with an 8-ply, 10mm shell which has four inner plies of mahogany, two central plies of birch, and two outer plies of maple. I've got the coated Remo Powerstroke 3 reso it shipped with on it at the moment, with the addition of a 5" port at about 5 o'clock. I went with a clear EQ4 on the batter side because I wanted something a bit less constricted that the clear EMADs I've been using in recent years. I've got an Evans EQ patch on the batter where the beaters land, and the beaters themselves are standard Pearl Quadbeaters on a 2002/2003 Powershifter Eliminator double pedal. I'm using the rounded felt surface.

I've got it tuned pretty low; as a rough starting point I used my Tunebot to tune the batter and the reso to the lowest recommended at-the-lug frequencies listed in the Tunebot guide (55 Hz for the batter and 82 Hz for the reso). Prior to this I did go down a quarter turn on both the original batter and reso heads from how it had been tuned on arrival with the retailer I ordered the kit through.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is putting anything inside the shell, because I didn't have to do that with my old 2001 Pearl Session Custom 22"x18" and generally prefer to leave the shell empty, but I'm wondering if that might be the solution as it might absorb some of the higher frequencies bouncing around the shell. The kit did come with a dampening device for inside the kick, but I'd be loath to attach it with the provided velcro strip. If I were to experiment with putting anything in the shell I'd have to remove the reso head to do that but that's no bother.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Registered User

I tried to get by with no internal dampening, but it didn't work out.

3. Registered User

Evans EMAD batter. If you want a little more attack, go for the GMAD.

4. Registered User

Kinda sorta near Pittsburgh (right at the tristate area)

I experienced this with a kick I refinished and used poly on the inside. After the clear coat, I had the exact same issue.

Though I was using a GMAD with an EQ3 reso with a 4” port... what I did that cured the sound was I cut a small bit of speaker box carpet and layer it on the bottom of the shell. It doesn’t touch either head, but breaks up the high pitched refected sounds and made that cheap kick sound great.

5. Drumming Since 1943

I use a Protection Racket EQ pillow in my BRX birch kick. It's quite small and unobtrusive and juuuust kisses the batter head. I use nothing else. Reso is just past finger tight and batter is just slightly above that.

I know you're equating the outlay with not having to put anything in the kick, but... the reality says different. Good luck.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

I use some 22x22x2 foam from hobby lobby, trimmed to touch both heads. I tried one, then two and liked the double foam better. I have one on the bottom and one on top. Ten bucks each.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    I use some 22x22x2 foam from hobby lobby, trimmed to touch both heads. I tried one, then two and liked the double foam better. I have one on the bottom and one on top. Ten bucks each.
    Hobby Lobby- NG.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

School a brother on wut NG means.

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster56 View Post
    school a brother on wut ng means.
    no good
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

The store? The foam?

Is this your first schooling???

11. Drumming Since 1943

Disregard. Glad the foam worked for you.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. th droids yerlookn4

i've alway wanted try the ps3 felts . ive never used felt strips for muffling myself. but i know a lot of people who swear by them just an alternative thought .