Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Too many hobbies

Well, I finally got around to knocking out those dents. I tried using my little wooden tools and they just really were not cutting it. I ended up using a heat gun and a regular metal hammer. I tapped from the rim inward, towards the center of the dent; I heard this is how those dent removal places get those large dents out without stretching the metal.
    Name:  aO0BuqO.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  18.3 KB
    Name:  rLcThwL.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  22.2 KB
    I put it between a sawhorse and a work bench; so as to not mess up the bead. I then laid down a cutup inner tube and covered that with a thin cloth; to cut down on the chance for scratches. The scratches that were left behind I think were from the lugs and the only remaining dents are from the washers. I'm quite pleased except for the fact that the P-83 strainer now didn't want to align with the holes in the shell. I tried to bend them and it broke!!! I could have kicked myself in the teeth.
    Name:  ThyHAY1.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  50.4 KB
    Name:  YSiEHL0.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  117.0 KB
    I believe it can be tig welded together. I know this isn't typically done for welding two pieces of magnesium together, but it's worth a shot. If not, I may take it to a local college that teaches Machinery and see if they can't manufacture one for me. I will have to take off those E style retaining rings somehow so they can take measurements. I know it will no longer be Original, but at this point, I would rather have it working than spend $90 on a vintage strainer just for that one piece. Let me know if you guys have any ideas, or a F'd up strainer with that piece still in good condition that you would be willing to sell.
    Last edited by Drakken; 06-10-2021 at 10:25 AM.

2. Too many hobbies

Oh Hazzah!! I was able to get my strainer fixed. I called Ludwig yesterday and asked about the material that this would have been made of; at one time they used magnesium for things like jugs. The guy I spoke with told me all the information he could reference said that it would be steel. I cut a block of wood to fasten it to so I could align the holes in the shell to where the pieces needed to be. I still don't think it's where it needs to be but at this point, I will be happy if it's back together in one piece.
    I took it to a local welding shop and they put a magnet to it and said it was in fact steel. The guy used a grinder to rough it up so the weld would take and went to it. He then used the grinder to knock down the left over bead. All I have to do now is polish it back up to a shine and mount it to the drum. I will be so happy when I get this back together and can use it. It only cost me a couple of bucks for his work.
    Name:  Hhoiz6G.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  148.2 KB Name:  UJB513o.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  131.6 KB
    I will post pictures of it all polished up. So in the future, don't forget to think of your local machine shops and such for when you need some broken parts fixed.

3. Too many hobbies

So, here it is after I used ascending grades of sand paper and then a polishing wheel with hard material cleaning compound.
    Name:  DSC00251.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  142.2 KB
    You can still see a bit of discoloration from the heat created by the weld. I don't believe there is anything I can do with that, but it's hidden behind the front plate of the strainer anyway. I didn't even have to polish this, but I wanted to clean it up for my own sake.

4. FKA Tasty808

Wow! That really turned out nice. I’m glad you were able to save the strainer without spending a bunch of cash.

5. Too many hobbies

Here it is fixed and on it's original stand.
    Name:  DSC00255.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  158.5 KB