Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
  1. Registered User

Default Thinking of replacing R.I.M.S. with Optimounts on my Pearl Masters Studio MBX 1993

I have R.I.M.S. on my 8", 10", 12" and 13" toms... (installed floor tom legs on my 14" and 16" power toms)... I'm about ready to install Pearl Optimounts on the 10" and 12" to give them a try. Just wondering if the toms will sing that much more?

2. Skeld-the -wicked

Although I have never owned R.i.m.s mounts and I know some on this forum don’t care for optimounts claiming they choke the drum sound. I have never experienced this. I remember a thread maybe it was Al stating that the mount needs to float vertically and not be tight on the lug casing. Remember optimounts go by height not width and they are expensive but can be found on eBay at times. I own both Aluminum & steel and both are excellent.
    Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 11-11-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by wtjohnstonjr View Post
    I have R.I.M.S. on my 8", 10", 12" and 13" toms... (installed floor tom legs on my 14" and 16" power toms)... I'm about ready to install Pearl Optimounts on the 10" and 12" to give them a try. Just wondering if the toms will sing that much more?
    I can promise you that the Optimounts will hold the toms more steady, with minimal to no bouncing, but I can't promise that the Optimounts would make the drums sing more; they might sing less. The best way to get the most sound out of your toms is to tune the batter and resonant heads, while mounted. Also, you might have to tinker with the tuning of each batter in relationship to each resonant. You might like the sound better when they are tuned the same, or when the batter is tuned lower, or when the resonant is tuned lower.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. The Sensitone Guy

Optimounts will hold the toms more steady, but the sound will remain the same as the RIMS mounts.

5. th droids yerlookn4

when used right, optimounts should give you the same performance as a r.i.m.s. mount. the advantages are, a more stable hold , and due to the slimmer shape , the optis will let you place your toms closer together . the rims style mounts 1 big draw back, has always been that huge gap, from tom to tom
    thats why they are my favorite "general purpose " tom mount .(my fav's are like the sonor H mounts and the dw style mounts )

i think it was gene okimato who said , that the proper way to set the optimounts is to leave them hanging a little , meaning , not to clamp the optis tight on the drum, as it tends to put pressure on the lugs , muting them to a degree.
    but hey, being able tune your resonance could be looked at as a good thing in some situations

6. Drumming Since 1943

I have a RIMS mount on my 16x14. The drum bounces but I have no issue with it otherwise.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. th droids yerlookn4

whats the model kit? pics would be cool ,,,, just so we're clear. when you say power toms, you mean 12x12, 13x13, 14x14, correct? power toms (also known as squared toms ) are a rare bird , these days
    anyways , optis will work great on either,, like i said before your results might come more in the form of comfort

8. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    whats the model kit? pics would be cool ,,,, just so we're clear. when you say power toms, you mean 12x12, 13x13, 14x14, correct? power toms (also known as squared toms ) are a rare bird , these days
    anyways , optis will work great on either,, like i said before your results might come more in the form of comfort
    That kit he is talking about was the first Masters series kit introduced in 1993. Like the MMX (4 ply with 4 ply rings), but birch and called MBX. Those toms came as 8x8, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 14x14, 15x14, and 16x16 back then.

9. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    No, power toms and square toms are different things. As you say, square toms are 12x12, 13x13, 14x14, etc. Power toms are generally two inches less than diameter - 12x10, 13x11, 14x12. Traditional toms, back in the day at least, were four inches less than diameter - 12x8, 13x9, 14x10. My CZX, when new, came in both square and power sizes.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

10. Registered User

I wonder what your experiences are now that you've changed the mounts?
    Not really comparable, but i did notice an improvement when i switched the I.S.S. mounts on my VBA toms with optimounts a few years back.
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst e-kit | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare