Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. It's all about me...

I gently prodded about the possibility of a Birch Masters and received "you'll know about the new gear before we do" stance. And I asked because I am still waiting on my SSC kit and it's getting close to NAMM - so if improvements are made to the SSCs, OR a Masters kit comes out in birch or a combo like birch mahogany, I really didn't want to spend money when I could later spend even more. :-P Right now the SSC's are still on order....so I guess when I get to LA I'll either be really upset or super happy with sticking with the decision. :-P

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    I gently prodded about the possibility of a Birch Masters and received "you'll know about the new gear before we do" stance. And I asked because I am still waiting on my SSC kit and it's getting close to NAMM - so if improvements are made to the SSCs, OR a Masters kit comes out in birch or a combo like birch mahogany, I really didn't want to spend money when I could later spend even more. :-P Right now the SSC's are still on order....so I guess when I get to LA I'll either be really upset or super happy with sticking with the decision. :-P
    Do they know who they’re dealing with?
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Registered User

Just bring back the BCX line
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst e-kit | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

4. life start at 125bpm

I like the DW design series because of the mini turret lugs
    ...yep,can't stomach their regular round melon hat lugs,which destroy the look of a drum
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

5. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Do they know who they’re dealing with?
    Right??? They have no idea....well, Mike does, Al does, Ron does, and a few others that are still around do....so well, maybe they do....

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

6. Drumming Since 1943

Right??? They have no idea....well, Mike does, Al does, Ron does, and a few others that are still around do....so well, maybe they do....
    ...so we'll be seeing a Birch Masters then? lol
    Way Too Much Crap

7. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    ...so we'll be seeing a Birch Masters then? lol
    Seriously, for all the people that want to see them return, I hope so....personally - I've been wanting the birch/mahogany mix for a long time - so the Sessions are still what I'm buying....I was spec'ing out a MW kit with a similar wood combo before they came out with those....so was nice to be able to save a few thousand....of course I'll get them finally, and they'll revamp them with bridged lugs and other little improvements....but I'm too far into waiting for the ones I've ordered to start over now... :P (Or in January as it were)....

Kit Pix

8. Registered User

Seriously, for all the people that want to see them return, I hope so....personally - I've been wanting the birch/mahogany mix for a long time - so the Sessions are still what I'm buying....I was spec'ing out a MW kit with a similar wood combo before they came out with those....so was nice to be able to save a few thousand....of course I'll get them finally, and they'll revamp them with bridged lugs and other little improvements....but I'm too far into waiting for the ones I've ordered to start over now... :P (Or in January as it were)....
    Back when Carl Peterson was the Masterworks guru, he always recommended the Birch/Mahogany combination. He liked the bite of the Birch with the warmth and low end of the Mahogany. What's ironic is he didn't flip over the Maple/Mahogany combo, which is a big part of the Reference series.

9. Registered User

I wonder how much of a difference it makes to the sound of the shells when you mix wood types. I mean I know it makes a difference to mix woods but I wonder if there were some formal way to test them and perhaps there is a tonality testing procedure, what combination of woods and number of plies would be most acceptable, then again it all comes down to a matter of personal taste. I for one love the sound of my 80's vintage Pearl DLX drums. I alos love the sound of some of the earlier Tama kits. I have never been a fan of the sound of Ludwigs except for some of their snares. Yamaha makes some nice sounding drums too as does Gretsch. I know the custom drum company I used to work for used Maple shells where every ply was maple...and they sounded fantastic...so to each his own I guess...I am sure DW would make any combination of wood shells if you walked in with gobs of cash and long enough lead time!
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!