Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Al is a wonderful fella; one of the most friendly and helpful guys you could wish to meet, and a real credit to Pearl; when he retires, this forum is gonna descend into chaos I fear. However, there really should be a super-helpful and as-friendly warranty guy on here - poor Al does all the brunt work, yet he works in internal sales! Talk about above and beyond duty!
    Which just proves what a great guy he is. He literally doesn't have to ANYTHING that he does for any of us.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Which just proves what a great guy he is. He literally doesn't have to ANYTHING that he does for any of us.
    Exactly

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Exactly
    Before Al there was Gene Okamoto. Here’s hoping for Pearl’s sake another steps up after Al leaves.

4. Drumming Since 1943

I think Thrush is right. Once Al and his Jedi dynamic leave Pearl, this place is done for. Al's calm demeanor and sense of rightness cast a relaxing aura over the PDF. At least a good number of us have become friendly and chat outside of the board.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. The Hardware Guy

Gene WAS Pearl. There isn't another like him. Super, super guy. Even went out of his way to help me with some info whilst on vacation one time - when I found out he was replying to my emails from his holiday, I said it can wait til he came back, but no - he still went out of his way to get hold of and forward on some schematics and PDFs to me.

Not knocking any of the other Pearl guys that "work" on this site, they generally don't connect with the users the way Nate and Gene did, and the way Al currently does. They generally post news and that's pretty much it - moderating out of sight.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    OP: ... You asked for advice.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Skiddz View Post
    Pretty sure he's over it, since he didn't even mention any of the stuff from the other thread. Remarks/attitudes like that are one reason (in my opinion) that people get their feathers ruffled around here. There's no reason to come at him with that stuff when he's clearly moved past it.
    The rest of what Andy said I can handle (despite it being oddly ambiguous). That's ok. The other thread, well... it really surprised me where it eventually went. The purpose was not at all to bash this or that. I did contact the store much before starting the thread. The intention was in fact: the dealer told me this, what do you think? Debating the quality of Pearl drums in general was not a focus point. The thread is still there, if you want to proof that. Personally, I don't really want to read that stuff any more.

There were many people there who were very kind and helpful and I sincerely appreciate that.

7. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    Yes.

The rest of what Andy said I can handle (despite it being oddly ambiguous). That's ok. The other thread, well... it really surprised me where it eventually went. The purpose was not at all to bash this or that. I did contact the store much before starting the thread. The intention was in fact: the dealer told me this, what do you think? Debating the quality of Pearl drums in general was not a focus point. The thread is still there, if you want to proof that. Personally, I don't really want to read that stuff any more.

There were many people there who were very kind and helpful and I sincerely appreciate that.
    Sounds like all is good. Hope you hang around.

8. Registered User

Oh, I forgot...

Thanks for the suggestions also about who to contact. I don't know that stuff, obviously I don't frequent this forum and what's maybe the biggest problem of all - I'm not in the States. Which is sort of an odd problem to have, since Pearl is Japanese.

9. Registered User

Sounds like all is good. Hope you hang around.
    I'll probably check in now and again. Winter tyres on, so I'm gonna be extra prickly.

10. Registered User

In case someone's interested in what happened...

I returned the drum. In about a day, someone from there (not the person I sent the photos to and who seemed to immediately realise the problem once I said "look at the reflection") emailed me and said " ...this "gap" is normal with these shells. Most wooden shells with lacquer have this gap. ... As this is not a defect, we will send back the floor tom to you. "

I emailed them back once again to ask who said it's normal? Did they consult someone from Pearl, or was it just someone from their drum department who decided that that's "normal"? I asked if there was perhaps a communication breakdown at some point since the person I spoke to earlier seemed to understand the problem. I also mentioned that Pearl is supposed to have THE best customer service out of all the drum companies so it strikes me as very odd if they indeed say that "is not a defect". Haven't heard back yet.

Right before I sent the drum to them I took some more photos and a video of the seam/gap. It happened to be daylight and as I was looking at the bright reflection I again thought how could anyone possibly think that's "normal"... why don't any of my other drums have that? Why have I NEVER seen that anywhere, on any drum?

I don't know if there's any point now for me... I could try contacting Mr. Percival and see if that would have some effect anyway. There were a number of other people here who were equally surprised about how does something like that get past quality control.

11. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    In case someone's interested in what happened...

I returned the drum. In about a day, someone from there (not the person I sent the photos to and who seemed to immediately realise the problem once I said "look at the reflection") emailed me and said " ...this "gap" is normal with these shells. Most wooden shells with lacquer have this gap. ... As this is not a defect, we will send back the floor tom to you. "

I emailed them back once again to ask who said it's normal? Did they consult someone from Pearl, or was it just someone from their drum department who decided that that's "normal"? I asked if there was perhaps a communication breakdown at some point since the person I spoke to earlier seemed to understand the problem. I also mentioned that Pearl is supposed to have THE best customer service out of all the drum companies so it strikes me as very odd if they indeed say that "is not a defect". Haven't heard back yet.

Right before I sent the drum to them I took some more photos and a video of the seam/gap. It happened to be daylight and as I was looking at the bright reflection I again thought how could anyone possibly think that's "normal"... why don't any of my other drums have that? Why have I NEVER seen that anywhere, on any drum?

I don't know if there's any point now for me... I could try contacting Mr. Percival and see if that would have some effect anyway. There were a number of other people here who were equally surprised about how does something like that get past quality control.
    You returned the drum. I suspect the next step is for them to examine the drum and inform you of the next step. The ball is in their court. All you need to do is wait.

12. Drumming Since 1943

You returned the drum. I suspect the next step is for them to examine the drum and inform you of the next step. The ball is in their court. All you need to do is wait.
    The Waiting is the hardest part.
    Way Too Much Crap