Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Default Tony Williams Transcribed

I saw this on a different forum. The discipline to accomplish this is absolutely sick. I wouldn’t have the patience to transcribe it let alone learn it note for note and I love this record.

https://youtu.be/JN2gQndq89k

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I saw this on a different forum. The discipline to accomplish this is absolutely sick. I wouldn’t have the patience to transcribe it let alone learn it note for note and I love this record.

I’m sorry- while technically impressive and something I could NEVER do, I juat cannot connect with this music or drumming. Again, I respect the ability of both artists as well as their legendary status, but it’s not my cup o’ tea. This particular piece seems like an athletic event, much like the extreme death metal drummers out there.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I’m sorry- while technically impressive and something I could NEVER do, I juat cannot connect with this music or drumming. Again, I respect the ability of both artists as well as their legendary status, but it’s not my cup o’ tea. This particular piece seems like an athletic event, much like the extreme death metal drummers out there.
    Too much feel for that comparison.

4. life start at 125bpm

this is something one would want to achieve ,to confirm the practical technical work accomplished as drummer over X years of practice .

to me, there's nothing else in there than the satisfaction of an impeccable technical work. it isn't that difficult to accomplish physically speaking ; doesn't take tons of stamina, or breathtaking speed or incredible limb coordination .it is the mental work-memory of all the details in there, and the timing needed to make all this fit IN the music like a puzzle.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I’m surprised at the reactions or the lack there of. The technical accomplishments is in that right hand. To move the the music forward like he is with that feel all while he embellishes it.

I agree the memorization of any straight ahead jazz pieces is an accomplishment itself. I once memorized Mile’s horn part for Four off this record. That was a challenge and that was the melody/lead voice. Maybe it should be a requirement for all drummers when they get older to keep their mind fresh.

Sadly, like rock will be in the future, jazz is barely holding on. I think many are missing out because of it. I understand the disconnect for Free Jazz/noise I play, but watching Ken Burn’s “Jazz” maybe a good way for people to get a taste of what we see here.

6. Drumming Since 1943

'Morning Dale.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post

I agree Dale! Awesome job by Rubin. Side note, all of Tony's playing from Miles to his "Lifetime" with Alan Holdsworth IMOP was some incredible music!

8. Registered User

Wow. That was impressive.

If Todd Sucherman comments positively on your video, you must be doin' something right.

9. The Hardware Guy

Amazing work and talent, and I can totally respect it and am impressed by it. My only real question is, why? I get that people like to play what their idols play - I grew up playing along to my rock and metal drummer heroes, and strived to get it sounding the way they did, and I get it's a challenge - I was totally challenged myself in my younger years to play with the speed and ferocity of the death and black metal guys. But, and I could be totally wrong here, I would assume Tony improvised probably all of that, other than a basic concept of it, when he played it live. So it seems kinda counter-whatever to the whole ethos of what Tony was doing; transcribing and playing a carbon-copy of it when it was likely played by feeling rather than notation in the first place.

If that's not the case then I'll shut the hell up and admit I don't know what I'm talking about But that's just what I took from it. Kudos to the guy though, that's some mad-skills

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Amazing work and talent, and I can totally respect it and am impressed by it. My only real question is, why? I get that people like to play what their idols play - I grew up playing along to my rock and metal drummer heroes, and strived to get it sounding the way they did, and I get it's a challenge - I was totally challenged myself in my younger years to play with the speed and ferocity of the death and black metal guys. But, and I could be totally wrong here, I would assume Tony improvised probably all of that, other than a basic concept of it, when he played it live. So it seems kinda counter-whatever to the whole ethos of what Tony was doing; transcribing and playing a carbon-copy of it when it was likely played by feeling rather than notation in the first place.

If that's not the case then I'll shut the hell up and admit I don't know what I'm talking about But that's just what I took from it. Kudos to the guy though, that's some mad-skills
    You’re 100% right. I don’t look at this as art as I do an exercise in discipline to figure out every nuance.

11. The Hardware Guy

In that respect, it's mind-blowing as you say. Hence my kudos to the guy, not only for playing ability/talent but also patience and discipline (and talent) for the work transcribing and learning it.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Wow. That was impressive.

If Todd Sucherman comments positively on your video, you must be doin' something right.
    Ever since I started using the YouTube app, I can no longer see people’s comments.

Not knowing who Todd was, I was introduced to him at NAMM awhile back by the guys here at Pearl. He was a super nice guy. I was just talking to him like I would anyone else. I even asked him to take a picture of Mike Farris and I. His reaction was odd when I asked him, but then I found out why later when I was told who he was.