Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Regarding heads for my 18" kick drum...

Hey guys,
    I have a consultation for you. I got back in March a 4 piece Roadshow kit to learn how to play drums... I'll replace my stock heads with Remo Ambassador Coated heads for batter sides, Remo Pinstripes for resonant heads, and Ambassador Hazy Snare Side for the snare drum. But I have a problem with the bass drum heads. Dealers here in Mexico don't carry dedicated bass heads for any of Remo's lines. Will regular heads fit the Roadshow 18" kick drum? Has anyone tried that? The dealer told me other drummers have no problems using regular heads on their kick drums, but I don't completely trust them on that...

2. Registered User

I believe regular heads will fit fine, but I just fitted what looks like a standard Remo coated Ambassador head on by 18" bass drum and it sounds awful. A clear Ambassador may sound better.

I would not put pinstripes on the reso side, much better to use clear Ambassadors.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. Registered User

So it would be safe to order the regular Ambassador heads for the18" kick drum? Thanks for that confirmation.
    Now that you mention it, regarding the sound I want to get out of the drum kit... what I learned from tuning videos and articles, and the sound behavior of this specific drum kit, is that 7mil reso heads would diminish the sustain and resonant tail of the fundamental tone. I can diminish that already with stock heads, but I have to get really tight the resonant head hoop and loose a lot the batter heads. The result of this is a very loose batter side hoop that barely gets the wrinkles out of the batter head, and a very pronounced down pitch effect that I don't want. I'm into blues and some rock, so I'm looking for a very dry fundamental, somehow bright attack and very little sustain and resonance. Any more advice regarding head choices? I'll really appreciate it.

EDIT: Other option I read about the net for blues drumming is to use coated Ambassadors for kick and tom batter and reso heads. But what Budgit mentions regarding awful sound on the kick drum with that configuration just made me doubt about coated heads...
    Last edited by jgdeschamps; 11-01-2018 at 12:40 PM.

4. Registered User

Just to close the subject, I also wrote to Pearl's drums and hardware support and they have confirmed that the Roadshow 18" kick drum can take regular Remo drumheads. Thank you, Pearl support staff for the answer. Thank you too, Bodgit. You were completely right! Now I'm just waiting for the drumheads to arrive.