Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edgefield, SC
    Posts
    10

    Default I want a set to sound like Phill Collins! Or Neil!

    Can I do that without spending the big bucks? Can I make a set of Exports sound like the punchy, deep Phil Collins style of drums? Ive gon through several sets of lower cost drums and just cant find the DEW, DEw, dew that Iím looking for. I TRY to keep in mind that many of the players Iím listening to are fully micíed and processed, but I want to accomplish that without a ton of mikes and processing. I love beating on the drums, just want the rich, deep sound I hear from the top drummers without spending top dollar. Suggestions on the best shells and heads are more than welcome!!

  2. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    10,725

    Default

    best way to really approach the '''same sound''' you hear in your mind is getting the same equipemenmt. if you liked neil's sound on moving pictures,get yourself a tama rosewood kit like his,with same heading,then add a good compression and
    noise gate system to your PA system ,then play ; seriously,it's the best option if it's really your ultimate goal.


    as for collins,well, he played a DLX full concert tom kit (wich i owned for a decade ) in natural honey finish on some records,then played on different kits depending what album you're refering to ....

    now, you would be able to mimick to a certain level some of its sound with a totally different spec'ed kit, but it will never sounds exactly the same.

    another option is recording your kit to a daw with inputs to recreate the sound you're looking after.....but it wouldn't provides the ''live''' experience of playing on a kit who behave exactly like you want.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    best way to really approach the '''same sound''' you hear in your mind is getting the same equipemenmt. if you liked neil's sound on moving pictures,get yourself a tama rosewood kit like his,with same heading,then add a good compression and
    noise gate system to your PA system ,then play ; seriously,it's the best option if it's really your ultimate goal.


    as for collins,well, he played a DLX full concert tom kit (wich i owned for a decade ) in natural honey finish on some records,then played on different kits depending what album you're refering to ....

    now, you would be able to mimick to a certain level some of its sound with a totally different spec'ed kit, but it will never sounds exactly the same.

    another option is recording your kit to a daw with inputs to recreate the sound you're looking after.....but it wouldn't provides the ''live''' experience of playing on a kit who behave exactly like you want.
    Name:  phil collins.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  157.2 KB
    Great advice rollracer! Just curious though, did you actually own the actual DLX Phil played! I loved that kit!

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    171

    Default

    What amuses me about PhilC is the height & angle of the toms above the snare and BD and when you now look at his Son, his kit is setup in exactly the same way!
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    What amuses me about PhilC is the height & angle of the toms above the snare and BD and when you now look at his Son, his kit is setup in exactly the same way!
    I agree Bodgit! It defenitly seemed to work well for Phil though! I think Phil's early drumming with Genesis was phenomenal! Especially when Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were still there. Phil blazed through different time signatures with ease. By the way, his son is very young and doing a great job as his Dad's drummer. Lots of potential IMOP.

  6. life start at 125bpm

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadrums,nesting up in the mountains
    Posts
    10,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    Name:  phil collins.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  157.2 KB
    Great advice rollracer! Just curious though, did you actually own the actual DLX Phil played! I loved that kit!



    i'm still pinching myself for having sold the dlx 22 pieces monster . i can picture the price it might worth these days. it was a monster. 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18 24BD. and the finish was somptuous.
    Last edited by rollracer; 11-02-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post



    i'm still pinching myself for having sold the dlx 22 pieces monster . i can picture the price it might worth these days. it was a monster. 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18 24BD. and the finish was somptuous.
    That's awesome. Kind of reminds me of when I left my parents house in 1983 and joined the military. I had an old beat up know name drum set but with a Mahogony Slingerland snare drum. Best sounding snare till this day I have ever played. Anyways, my parents sold the kit with snare for 50.00 at a yard sale. I would do anything to get that drum back especially when I see one every once in a while pop up on sale for approx 800.00!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •