Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. NO KIT TOO BIG

Strap drives FTW! Loving my Eliminator strap single, owned it for years, used on hundreds of gigs. And just bought the old style double version second hand, so have the double option now too.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Yamaha and Dauz Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Thing is, again, by the time you chance the straps/chains, cams, bearings, you might as well just buy a replacement pedal...
    Yes, Sir, I could have done that.

But here's my little addition versus your proposal:
    Pearl pedal P-120: no costs (it came with a second hand kit, which I sold at a better price some time later),
    Pearl spare parts for the modification: EUR 50 total.

A glimpse at local selling ads shows used Pearl P-1000 or P-2000 selling at EUR 100 - 150 (some with even only chain drives).

So - where's your benefit? As I stated previously, I just wanted to make a modification for my back-up ( ! ) pedal ...

Cheers, Ralf
    My vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de

3. Registered User

That’s really cool, I was thinking of doing the same with my p900’s. I already have toe-stops installed along with Reds bearings. I’ve never seen a p-120 without the bottom board and black risers. Is this a European only pedal or just an older model?

4. Registered User

Ah, I just realized that is a p-120, not the p-120p (powershifter)....

So what is the advantage of the strap over the chain?

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    ... So what is the advantage of the strap over the chain?
    It's just a matter of conviction. I really do think that a strap driven pedal responds a tiny little bit more directly
    than a chain driven pedal. I simply love the play feel of it (and play strap driven pedals since my youth in the 70's).

Ralf
    My vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    It's just a matter of conviction. I really do think that a strap driven pedal responds a tiny little bit more directly
    than a chain driven pedal. I simply love the play feel of it (and play strap driven pedals since my youth in the 70's).

Ralf
    Thanks for sharing and the info!

7. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    Ah, I just realized that is a p-120, not the p-120p (powershifter)....

So what is the advantage of the strap over the chain?
    Lighter feel. It's not necessarily quicker, but it feels it since it's got a lighter feeling to it. That's my experience coming from a single chain; I can only image the feeling is increased if coming from a double chain like the 201P or 2000 Eliminator

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Lighter feel. It's not necessarily quicker, but it feels it since it's got a lighter feeling to it. That's my experience coming from a single chain; I can only image the feeling is increased if coming from a double chain like the 201P or 2000 Eliminator
    I had a a set of double eliminators (chain) back in the early 2000’s. Those always felt heavy to me no matter which cam or footboard position I used. I’ve been using p120p’s in various forms since 07. I now have a couple of used (like new) p900’s and they are really smooth and have nice light feel like the 120’s. I think i’m Going to try this upgrade since the cost is minimal.

Thanks for the info!