Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Perl pedal P-120: change from chain to strap - possible?a

Hello,

I have a kick pedal, model P-120, which works mainly well for me.
    But as I'm a fan for pedals driven by a strap/ belt, I'd like to change this
    pedal to a strap/ belt drive.
    The web shows genuine replacement parts for other Pearl pedals
    very well, but especially for THIS pedal - not.
    I understand that the chain at the P-120 is very small and doesn't
    allow a wide belt, which might make the construction a little fragile.
    My playing is not being a 'heavy hitter'.

Attached please find some photos of my pedal.
    Has anyone ever done a replacement for THIS pedal - perhaps with
    a DIY construction - which works well?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Cheers, Ralf
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    My vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de

2. life start at 125bpm

can't help here because i don't play pearl pedals.just wanted to tell you how i love your vintage STAR drums page. the pics of old star drum kits are amazing.........and there's a lot of kits from all eras to look at. kudo,and REP for that!!!

.....and, the story behind your first royal star (in copper metallic livery.......a-m-a-z-i-n-g finish and look ) kit is also ....touching,yep,that is the right word. after all these years-decades , you've been able to track down the dude you sell the kit to,and get it back to you. nearly a love story between a man and his old drum set. LOL.....very,very interesting story.

edit: i've never realized that '''stewart''' drums were built by star-tama. owned a stewart kit when i was a kid, the blue sparkle kit everyone has seen at one point back then...
    Last edited by rollracer; 10-29-2018 at 07:41 AM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

3. The Sensitone Guy

Sorry, don't know the answer to your question. I will, however; comment that the Pearl P120 is an EXCELLENT pedal. It's as good as the ones costing much more. I have a P120P (with base plate). It's solid and smooth.

4. The Hardware Guy

The P120 doesn't feature changeable drive on it's cam, as you've found out. To do it you'd need to order a new cam, belt, and the part that fits to the footboard. The good news is that pretty much all Pearl pedals use the same size hex bar and cams, so parts are fairly universally interchangeable. However, for the cost of this, you'd be better off just picking up a used Eliminator (P-2000) or Pro Stock (P-1000), the latter of which came with both belts and chains as standard and are simply bolt-on items.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Registered User

Hello,

rollracer: thank you very much for your kind compliments to my website: appreciated greatly!

Andy H: yes, that is the reason, why I still keep on playing it (although it's not my very first choice). ;-)

Thrush: the connecting part at my foot plate is wider than necessary for the single chain. Therefore
    I assume that the BCA-10 belt version would fit into the plate - right?
    If yes, I'd only have to replace the upper part on the hex rod ... well - if I still can find such elderly parts.

Cheers, Ralf

6. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Thrush: the connecting part at my foot plate is wider than necessary for the single chain. Therefore
    I assume that the BCA-10 belt version would fit into the plate - right?
    If yes, I'd only have to replace the upper part on the hex rod ... well - if I still can find such elderly parts.
    In theory, and most likely, yes. Most of the parts and castings are standardised so will be interchangeable for Frankensteining pedals. But as I said, the cost involved in buying replacement parts new, if you even can get them new still, will negate the swap. You'd be better off just buying a P-1000 or P-2000 used for probably less money, and a lot less hassle.

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

7. Registered User

Hello,

Member Thrush already nailed it - but against all odds I ordered the needed parts new:
    BCA-1: the belt for the Eliminator pedal,
    DC-509A : Eliminator Aluminium Drive wheel and
    CAM-WT: the Interchangeable White Cam (any other coloured cam would work as well).
    Final costs: EUR 50. Time needed for the conversation: in total approx. half an hour. Easy going.

I'm happy with the result!

Seasons greetings!

Ralf
    Attached Images Attached Images   

8. Purple Crazed

Nice work!

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 20x14G | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

9. Registered User

Great! Have you tried changing out the bearings for better rated ones? You only need two. Totally changed my pedals!

10. The Hardware Guy

Thing is, again, by the time you chance the straps/chains, cams, bearings, you might as well just buy a replacement pedal...

PICSPICS 2

11. Registered User

Good work.
    I actually have a couple of these (belt drive). I like them.

I ended up selling my P-1000, which came with a kit, because I never used it.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

12. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    Good work.
    I actually have a couple of these (belt drive). I like them.

I ended up selling my P-1000, which came with a kit, because I never used it.
    Still use my P-1000's. I put the belts on almost immediately (within a few days/a week) and never took them off. The only other change I made to them was the swap the quad beaters out for RhythmTech beaters (although last week I refitted the Quad beaters to see how I felt about them). Can't remember when I bought them, but pretty sure it was pre 2005. Still going strong.

PICSPICS 2