Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. What's in YOUR stickbag?

Default Trying dffferent 2up, 2down size

I usually run 8, 10, 14, 16 in my 2 up, 2 down config, where the traditional norm is 10, 12. Well, I decided to split the difference and go with 8, 12 to see how that works. I only played that config for about an hour, but I'm kinda diggin it. The "drop" from the 10 to the 14 worked, but I felt it might be too much of a drop...yes, tuning is the key...but so is experimentation. If I continue to dig it in the upcoming couple of weeks, I'll set up my gig kits (VMX and CRB) the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    I usually run 8, 10, 14, 16 in my 2 up, 2 down config, where the traditional norm is 10, 12. Well, I decided to split the difference and go with 8, 12 to see how that works. I only played that config for about an hour, but I'm kinda diggin it. The "drop" from the 10 to the 14 worked, but I felt it might be too much of a drop...yes, tuning is the key...but so is experimentation. If I continue to dig it in the upcoming couple of weeks, I'll set up my gig kits (VMX and CRB) the same way.
    Your pedals are not lined up. Fix them!
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

3. A Passion Play ...

Cool idea. Big sonic difference between the 8 and 12. Sweet.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Registered User

I was using 8, 12, 16 for a while. I loved it, but I went back to just 12, 16 so I could bring everything closer together.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

5. Registered User

I'm running 8-10-12 up top, did have 16 and 18 down below but swapped them for 14-16 with the 18 on the left side...so many options and different sounds. The hardest part is fitting everything in place so its comfortable to reach.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

6. What's in YOUR stickbag?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I'm running 8-10-12 up top, did have 16 and 18 down below but swapped them for 14-16 with the 18 on the left side...so many options and different sounds. The hardest part is fitting everything in place so its comfortable to reach.
    When I go 2 up, 2 down, 1 left, it's usually 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 with a 13 on the left.

I noticed that I have the 12 tuned not far from where I had the 10 sitting, but with the increased depth of the 12, the tone is a bit fuller. So, I can go either way, but I'm gonna stick with the 12 a bit longer.