Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. DRUMMIN' DAD OF 2

Default Playing style ? To the letter or your own version ?

Well i have been away for some time my last post was 09-08-2006 08:14 AM god knows what i've been doing for the last 12 years.

What is your playing style when learning a song? i tend to play by ear and do my own interpretation.
    KIT BUILDER LAYOUT

MY KIT

PART OF THE EX/EXR TRIBE

2. life start at 125bpm

for me it all depends of the song and the respect i feel about the drum part. some song i play along are nothing more than a metronome agremented with music i use to practice my chops and phrasings , not putting any attention to the musicality ,some songs i really want to cover , i make a point to play integrally . some creations -songs leaves space for mods of the drum parts,some others , the drum parts are so proeminently strong that you can't reinvent it without removing some of the magic.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

3. Registered User

I recently learned Fairies Wear Boots and was doing so by ear until I watched a youtube vid of Sabbath performing it live in Paris in 1970. Suddenly saw Bill Ward do all kinds of jazzy ghost notes on the snare that I completely missed simply listening to it (though after noticing could definitely hear in the audio).

My point is that youtube is a goldmine for learning drum parts. So many isolated tracks of great songs as well.

4. DRUMMIN' DAD OF 2

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    I recently learned Fairies Wear Boots and was doing so by ear until I watched a youtube vid of Sabbath performing it live in Paris in 1970. Suddenly saw Bill Ward do all kinds of jazzy ghost notes on the snare that I completely missed simply listening to it (though after noticing could definitely hear in the audio).

My point is that youtube is a goldmine for learning drum parts. So many isolated tracks of great songs as well.
    Agreed it is amazing what you pick up watching the originator playing live, i also watch other peoples drum covers to pick up any parts i am struggling to figure out, i do try and get it as close to the original version.
    KIT BUILDER LAYOUT

MY KIT

PART OF THE EX/EXR TRIBE

5. bangin since '95

Depends on the track. If you're playing Tom Sawyer or Rock And Roll, yeah it needs to probably be as close to the original track as possible. Those are iconic songs where the drums are part of the orchestration of the song. Stuff like pop or where the drums are kind of just laying back and playing time, you can kind of get away with approximating everything. I heard Steve Gadd playing "Cocaine" with Eric Clapton at Crossroads years ago, and he was playing it completely different from the way Jim Gordon (I believe is who originally recorded it) played it. Real rocked up instead of the normal shuffle groove that's on the song. If Steve Gadd can do it, so can anyone else honestly. Just make sure you play with a lot of taste though.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

6. Music Lover

We play all of our songs our own way. We mostly platy covers but do them how we want, which may or not be like the original. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

7. Registered User

Learning the song by ear mostly, but i also look at live renditions from the bands and specifically, if there are any, search for drum cam vids from the drummer. If i can't find any of those i look for drum cover vids; why figure something out when someone already has done it
    I stay true to the original drum parts for 90-95% of the time. Sometime i alter a groove or fill slightly because i feel it sounds better or just because i like doing it. But sometimes i also play a modified part because in our band it sounds better and i listen to the overall sound then.
    Something else; when we play 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath i play a less busy bass drum groove then on the original recording, mainly because my right foot can't handle all those 16th notes in quick succession and using the double pedal really alters (in a bad way) the sound of the song. And no-one in the audience notices that little 'cheat' anyway haha, so i also do it to make be lazy hehe
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst e-kit | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

8. Drumming Since 1943

To the letter. Not a missed beat. Metronomically precise. Nothing else is acceptable.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    To the letter. Not a missed beat. Metronomically precise. Nothing else is acceptable.
    LOL!!

Actually... If I COULD play every song just like the recording, I would. But... I don't have the SKILL to do it. Instead; I tell everyone around me that I play the song a little differently on purpose...

"to improve upon the original recording"
    "to add my own feel that blends better with today's audience"
    "because I don't have a (insert whatever drum, cymbal, pedal or stick) that the original artist had"

10. Get Down On It

*played with the spirit of the original recording*

That about sums it up for me. Nobody cares if it's note for note. Get the feel and tempo right and booties will shake.
    Ludwig Keystone in Pewter Glass 8X10, 9X12, 10X13,16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 Classic Maple
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

11. Registered User

If it's a song I'm not familiar with, I'll listen to it a couple times to get the basic feel, then I'll do a breakdown of it and think "if I had recorded this song, what would I have done differently that would still suit the music?" and work from there. If it's something that truly has an iconic sound or drummer known for their specific style, I'll try to pay homage to it as much as possible. Obviously I'm not going to try and do a Beatles song while trying to sound like Clyde Stubblefield.

There has to be a balance for me between being true to my sound and respecting the artist who recorded it, would be the short answer.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

12. DRUMMIN' DAD OF 2

Great responses.
    KIT BUILDER LAYOUT

MY KIT

PART OF THE EX/EXR TRIBE