Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default please help me with this drums history

Hi, I'm a beginner drummer, an old one at that, and just bought a bundle of drums that included some older pearls.

One full set of 1977? W-5's in black that are a little beat up but fixable and a second japan made bass that has a fiberglass lining, I am including a pic so if anyone can give me a nod as to what group it fits into. It has sever delaminated areas and I have been shown that they can me repaired.Name:  605.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  65.4 KB

2. Pearl does it for me

Hello and welcome!

Please post up a lot more pics to confirm anything you are asking about
    Include bass drum spurs, tom arms, badges, bearing edges, and anything else you think may help.

The one pic you have put up shows a badge from 1980 to 1983.
    Please give us dimensions of the drum, show us the delaminations...

3. Registered User

Name:  drum badge.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  47.3 KBName:  drum lining.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  47.0 KBName:  drum inside.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  51.6 KB

the pic of the rim shows one of the De laminated spots, both have been repaired using Elmer wood glue and custom made wood forms and clamps looks as if they were never there and with a pillow for dampening it sounds great . now I just wonder where it fits in the pearl lineup. the tom mounts were purchased separately.
    Last edited by Markshells60; 10-11-2018 at 10:19 AM.

4. Registered User

Wood/fiberglass series
    Selling Rocket Shells custom carbon fiber drums - 10x8, 12x9, 14x10, 16x14, 22x18

5. Registered User

Thank you! Now where did this fit in the line up? Was this a top of line, middle of the road or low end drum? It sounds great, sharp and deep, I like it. But if I can move up over time, I guess I ‘m looking for which direction to go.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Markshells60 View Post
    Thank you! Now where did this fit in the line up? Was this a top of line, middle of the road or low end drum? It sounds great, sharp and deep, I like it. But if I can move up over time, I guess I ‘m looking for which direction to go.
    Pretty sure it was upper level stuff. Some big name rock drummers used those back in the day.
    Selling Rocket Shells custom carbon fiber drums - 10x8, 12x9, 14x10, 16x14, 22x18

7. Registered User

That’s awesome!! I paid 150.00 for a complete set of pearl wood set (W-5) and got this bass and a full set of cb700 drums too. The 10 claw fiberglass bass is thunderous and in real good shape. The cb700 snare sounds amazing!! I cant believe how easy it is to get so many different clear tones out of it. The cb700 set are concert toms and very well used, my understanding is this set was used at a Georgia amphitheater during summer concerts back in the 80’s? And you can tell they saw a ton of use. I pulled the wrap off the toms and cleaned up the hardware to see if I can get cool sound from them. One day i’ll Get a dream set, for now something to learn on, practice with and decompress at the end of the day is great, having a blunderbuss of a kick just adds to the pleasure!!