Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default That affordable Pearl maple Modern Utility snare drum.

Got my new Modern Utility snare this weekend...nothing less than good news to report. As advised, I changed the batter side head out from the stock Pearl/Remo to an Evans Genera dry G2, tightened both sides 1 1/4 turn on all lugs, and it was ready to play.
    Itís a tight responsive drum, and a considerable upgrade from the poplar stock snare that came with the set. I got the 8x14 version, and am so pleased with the sound....finding clearer ghost notes, better non dominant hand response.
    I couldnít be happier!
    Peace yíall.

2. Registered User

Glad your enjoying it.

I got the 12x7 model for my bop kit and while I don't play it too often, so far, its working out great.

3. A Passion Play ...

Cool. Post some pics pretty please.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Registered User

Name:  7880D718-D132-4B95-AB31-AD427EDD481E.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  57.7 KB
    The new snare. Coming changes: new black Evans coated hydraulic head, and S-hoops.

5. Registered User

I have the 8x14 8-lug snare and had it wrapped to match a Gretsch kit I had. I even added die cast hoops to it. I did a side-by-side comparison with a 8x14 Gretsch USA and when tuned down low, I really couldn't tell the difference. So I sold the Gretsch! I use this Utility snare as my Don Henley snare.
    Matt 'Bo' Eder
    Pearl Artist - Pearl Masters BCX drums in golden bronze glitter

6. Registered User

Nice. I was completely amazed at how evenly this drum tuned right outta the box, how well it responds to various volume requests from me. Compared to the 6.5” poplar, it’s a whole new world for me. It’s the same feeling I got when I upgraded my cymbals from the Pearl starters and the Zildjiian ZBT’s I was using, and bought my Sabian Paragons.
    I was never a drummer for any band anywhere, but I’ve been in a bunch of bands and. I know what I wanna hear. As I study drums, I’m finding out the same thing I did with my guitars: good equipment inspires better and longer practice.
    All that said, I love the snare.
    Now.......Help me figure out what to do with the old 6.5”.
    Peace.

7. The Sensitone Guy

Pearl doesn't know how to make a bad drum.

Years ago I replaced all my fancy, expensive Yamaha snares with a small collection of Pearl Sensitones. I couldn't be happier... unless I had MORE sensitones!

8. Registered User

I had the 6.5 x 14 briefly, I went through a flurry of buying and trading equipment (GAS) which has evened out now. I did an A/B comparison with a Ludwig Classic Maple and there was hardly a difference. These are really fantastic and may acquire the 5.5 x 14 in the future. For anyone on the fence out there, pull the trigger on these amazing snares!