Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Masterworks snare 14x8 20 ply diamond burst

Hey guys, I recently picked up a 14x8 masterworks 20 ply snare, 14ply maple but I'm not sure what the other 6 are, can anyone identify it from the serial number? S/N: 081091 made in September of 2011, and if any gurus know how much they're worth that'd be great too

2. Skeld-the -wicked

Wow ! That snare is Beautiful ! It would look even better in the center of my kit. I think the inner 6 ply are Birch. There has been a MasterWorks 22x18 Bass Drum in Diamond Burst on eBay for some time for $895.00 . The seller claims when new it was $2,400.00. Maybe check on eBay or reverb what MW snares are going for. Welcome to the PDF Viiper.
    Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 09-26-2018 at 05:22 AM.
    6 pc Masters Premium Diamond Burst
    6 pc Masters MMX /BRX Midnight Fade
    Sensitone nickel over Brass & Aluminum snares
    Zildjian As&Ks

3. Registered User

Thanks, I really doubt the other 6 ply is birch, it's pretty dark wood. And as for price wise I've never seen a 14x8 MW snare for sale let alone one with these lugs and finish.

4. Playing since 1976

Forum members wouldn't know what your drum was made of from the serial number. Pearl MIGHT be able to confirm what the drum was made from by contacting PMI. As far as us, with no pictures, this is just a guessing game. Now that you say the inner plies are dark, it's likely mahogany. We would be able to tell better if you'd remove one of the heads and take a good picture.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Demon Speeding

That thing is a beast. Great find!

6. Experienced Noob

In 2015 I bought 2 Masterworks snares: an 8 x 14 6 ply snare & a 5 x 13 20 ply snare, both with sparkle finishes. I paid $540 for the 8 x 14 & $545 for the 5 x 13. As I recall, with Masterworks (at least at that time), neither the the type of lugs nor other hardware selected affected cost. The type of finish did, but only in that exotic wood finishes cost more. Any other type of finish would have cost the same as mine. I do believe that the price of Masterworks drums has increased some since 2015 & I should note that I went with the dealer who gave most likely the lowest price I'd ever find.

So, knowing what similar drums could have been bought for new in 2015, you may be able to guess the current value of your drum. My best guess is $500 - $600, but I could be way off. With drums like this one, it's really more about what a buyer is willing to pay that what the market sets. Custom drums are different from stock drums in that respect.

7. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by Viiper View Post
    Thanks, I really doubt the other 6 ply is birch, it's pretty dark wood. And as for price wise I've never seen a 14x8 MW snare for sale let alone one with these lugs and finish.
    do we have any pics of the inside of the snare?

8. Registered User

9. Registered User

Looks like mahogany indeed
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

Alesis DM10 | Pics