Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Drum Enclosure Idea (opinions welcome)

So, I've had this idea in my head for a bit and would like some input from some of you sound guys and gals. I've been considering putting together an enclosure to cut volume by roughly 10-20 dB and hopefully tackle some of those pesky low frequencies 0-100hz. I would be building this to go into a bedroom and the goal is to keep the peace between neighbors without having to reach for silent strokes and l80's.

My idea:

use 1"x2" furring strips to create a frame. I would place 1/4" plywood in the center of the frame. On both sides of the plywood place automotive grade insulation on both sides of the plywood. on the inner side of the frame (facing the kit) I would place pegboard. On the outer side of the frame (facing the walls) I would place another sheet of 1/4" plywood. I would do this to create a box roughly 7'x7' and similar in fashion to clear sonic, I would place 1/4" acrylic paneling in front and the sides of the kit and top the enclosure off the same way I made the back and side walls.

This was the most "budget friendly" thing I could conceive that might be semi effective but I'd like to hear from someone else. What are your opinions, what could I do differently to make it more functional without creating too much extra cost?

Peace love and paradiddles,

My Sticks
    Last edited by my sticks; 09-14-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    Pearl Decade Maple Brown Burst: 24x14 | 13x9 | 16x16 | 18x16
    Pearl Modern Utility Steel Shell Snare: 14x6.5
    Pearl M80 Snare: 10x4
    Zildjian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Fat Cat Snare Wires

2. SUPREME MODULATOR

The key to reducing the transmission of low frequencies is mass and decoupling.

3. Registered User

Your idea sounds like it would do what your intending it to do but I'm not sure how budget friendly that would be. But then again, I'm not sure how much automotive insulation cost. Don't forget to leave some kind of hole for electrical cord or outlet, you'll definitely need a good fan in there!

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PYRRHO View Post
    The key to reducing the transmission of low frequencies is mass and decoupling.
    Right however, I'm not intending to completely soundproof the room since I'm renting a small two bedroom house.

5. Registered User

Thanks for the reply, the hope is to keep the cost down to $500. I've found an acrylic shield for about $300.00 I didn't mention that I had about 8 2"x6"x8' material that I would run down a table saw to make my furring strips which would cut down on cost. So I would be purchasing a couple sheets of plywood. I might throw out the idea of pegboard as I wasn't aware just how much the cost has increased in recent years.

6. SUPREME MODULATOR

Quote Originally Posted by my sticks View Post
    Right however, I'm not intending to completely soundproof the room since I'm renting a small two bedroom house.
    Im not talking about complete soundproofing.
    Unless i am not understanding your proposal, you are creating a resonant chamber that will not only do little to reduce the 0-100hz you want to reduce but may actually amplify them. The overall volume will be reduced because of the diminished transmission of highs and mids but the lows may woom-woom like never before meaning your neighbors will not be impressed.

7. Registered User

Hmm what about a room made of two layers of 1/2 or 3/4” plywood panels 2’x6.5’, separated with something similar to a resilient channel and I just add the absorption to the inside? Would resilient channels even be necessary or could I use the same frame idea I had and use a rubber surface On the outer frame to form a seal?

8. Registered User

I use silent strokes and l80s and they're great, only issue is having to swap out the ss heads if you need to play for real...so I bought a 2nd kit

RTOM black hole mesh heads solve that problem but they're s.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare